1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I assume they have been scouting long before Ange joined and have players they’ve looked at.

This is just to show an example, not real:

Let’s say under Lennon, he wants a defender like Lustig so the scouts have a bunch of targets.

Ange comes in and wants a defender like Frimpong, scouts now have to start again and get players that meet that style.

Some players will come quicker and be able to use contacts and so on but to find the right players can take time.

The scouts could have had targets previously that actually matched what Ange wants as well. It could be negotiations taking a long time.

I think we’ve been linked with 3 right backs and 3 centre backs, with supposedly Starfelt being done or very close too.

There are so many other factors that just blame scouts they’re doing a * job.

2. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Unfortunately we simply won't make the CL group stages. Am struggling to see how we pass this round to be honest.

I think we all know we required a prompt appointment of a manager, prompt recruitment of both players and a DOF. None of which happened.

Now Ange and Dom are left to pick up the pieces. I think right now the have the sympathy from the support but that'll disappear quickly. They will soon be the people we hold accountable for mistakes long ago by others.

The signings are starting to come now but it still feels to little to late. I think the fact we are seemingly ready to give ntcham and boli another lifeline shows how much in need we are as a club. I started the window confident they would be shipped out. Now looking at we got, I think it's imperative they stay

King of Kings likes this.
  3. JamesM09

I don't really care who it is, it all falls at the boards feet.

Well, Lennon left in March and the scouts have known we needed a RB since January and a LB since the previous August, so I'd be pretty disappointed if they're still following his instructions.

We should have a list about a mile long of RBs and LBs of all types. I'm sorry if you don't agree with that, but that's how this club should be run. Not half-arsed, waiting until it's too late to take action. We should be run like a well oiled machine that's going into an annual £40m football match.

Either it's the scouts, who are appointed by the board, or it's the board themselves not getting the deals done. It all comes back to the board and the way they run this club and the standards they set.

I don't understand why people are bending over backwards to defend inadequacy. Even if we were doing well right now, we should always be pushing to do better. Instead people are super quick to tell us it takes a long time and many windows to put together a decent football team. Absolute bollocks, although I'm sure the board enjoy it.

See while we say it's no ones fault and they haven't had time, we just forgetting it took 100 days to get Ange in aye?

No Director of football, no recruitment team, nothing changing. Just fans lowering their standards and preparing themselves to give up on a season of football because 'reasons'.

4. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Prior to the game, Ange spoke about the "need for more numbers" and it was again mentioned post-match. Couldn't be any clearer the message he was sending. Some of the young lads are clearly not ready for this level. Some of the players we have are not good enough for the level he wants or should be at this club. And anyone with an ounce of quality. Doesn't want to be here.

He looked and sounded very frustrated speaking at the end. And no wonder. Dom said they would do everything they can to support and put Ange in a good position. I didn't see a team or a manager in a good position.

5. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    In the last few years, we always seem to sign players after the CL qualifiers. CLQ = £35m. Seems a bit backwards.

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    To be slightly fair, this week has seen massive improvements on the signing front. Starfelt is a done deal, just needs to be announced for 4-5million quid. Abada is around 3million and Kyogo somewhere in the same ball park as these two.
    That's fixing some problem areas.
    Need another CB, RB and ST of the same range and I think we would then agree we would be supporting Ange.

7. Lewis Kerr

Not seen any of our pre-season games but the recent reactions are completely justified. Look at the state of us at the moment. This squad is utterly atrocious, worse than Mowbray's by far. * knows how long you'll have to go back for an accurate comparison. Stripped to it's bare-bones. Unforgivable given the amount of time they've had to sort it out.

The hypothetical XI's people are posting for the start of the season are genuinely frightening. Barkas/Bain, Ralston/O'Connor, Taylor/Boli, Welsh/Urhoghide/Karamoko/Johnstone. Ajeti as our main striker.. I mean I like some of these guys, but Jesus christ.

I'm happy with the recent additions but time will tell whether or not they settle and make an impact straight away. I think Postecoglou is realising how monumental this job is now. He needs to be backed ASAP and another 3 or 4 (at least) QUALITY, first team ready additions need to come in. Most of his options right now are nowhere near good enough for Celtic or ready to implement his style of play.

We'll get humped off the Danes. I'm not sure if we'll even qualify for the Europa at this rate. Seriously guys, we are so thin on genuine quality and experience.

Mike B, Garrymac1888 and VT8 like this.
  8. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well said that man.

It took 100+ days to sign a manager, unknown to most.

Why would any other business be conducted in other manner?

JamesM09 likes this.
  9. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think it would be difficult to disagree with most of what you’re saying and definitely agree most of it.

Only part I disagree with is the scouting. Everything else is spot on and I definitely blame the board as well.

The scouting part, they could have been scouting all year long but targets change when managers change and he style is so different I doubt they were looking at the kind of players Ange would have been wanting. That could have only started from when they knew Ange was being hired. So 4/5 weeks max really.

JamesM09 likes this.
  10. Gurru 991

100% Correct !!
    Scouting is a 365 days a year project . When a manager asks for a certain type of player the scouting dept should be able to open the laptop & have suggestions right away.

King of Kings and JamesM09 like this.
  11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Put yourself in Ange's place. Imagine the pressure he must feel and more so the frustration. Limited time and limited squad at the moment. We have a situation where he needs support from everyone at the club. The fans also need to be patient. You can not rush a surgeon when he has the patient on the operating table - let him do his work so the operation is a success and the patient survives and is healthy and thriving again.

We have new players coming in and hopefully there will be more also that have match experience with their previous clubs and will be a good fit. Get behind the manager and stay positive. This world wide Covid crisis is problematic for a variety of reasons. Take care of your mental health guys and stay positive. I wish the same for Ange and his family.

Gurru 991 likes this.
  12. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

No, * Ange and * me puting myself in any other * position.

Stop saying "we" we aren't "we" yer an Australian person who loves Postecoglou.

Can't be arsed with all you * * flanneling about slavering *.

I love Celtic more than any forum, flannel room,....and I certainly can't be arsed pandering to * pish in here.

Why the * is he standing about holding his head, looking Raj! Clown.

Happy to be banned, looking forward to it actually, too many pan handlers putting up with their drivel, but ram yer halfwit eye brow drooping slobbering * right up yer hairy Archibald....mon the Kiwis!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  13. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Will hold him about 0% accountable if we lose in the qualifier, honestly he has just come in the door with a decimated squad, even Rodgers lost to Red Imps.

rickyroma25 and martin_d like this.
  14. Paradise88

Not a single player from last season will improve us next season. Not McGregor or Turnbull. We need to think bigger than those players, that's the harsh reality

rickyroma25 likes this.
  15. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Awrite, cya then

16. Maestro 08

There was zero in that performance yesterday to suggest he's making any impact on the squad. His interviews are increasingly downbeat as well, very much in contrast to his unveiling and a far cry from the persona we have been led to believe he was by his supporters. Still far too early to say he's out his depth but unless we see a major upturn in the next few months then..

17. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    You need to talk to someone buddy.

The big Viduka likes this.
  18. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    The Board are bean counters. Never kicked a ball in anger. or passed it sweetly, or supported a team mate, or laced up a pair of boots - let alone have ridden a tackle to know how it feels. Celtic need to have people in important positions who understand the game, understand players, and especially understand and appreciate the fans who come to support the team in all types of weather and pay to do so !

rickyroma25 and JamesM09 like this.
  19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I need to remind the esteemed forum members that Ange has been with the club for less than 3 weeks.

20. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

We did play very poor yesterday however it was a pre season friendly, I usually try not to look into these games too much whether we score a barrel load or not. However, game against Preston was disappointing as I thought the line up and sysyem would be as close to the starting 11 for Tuesdays CL qualifier. Thats what todays game, first half anyway should have been used for, if it was, we are truly fecked. Talk is cheap but the Manager will be judged on results not on what he wants to do or his vision. Its one thing playing the young players in friendlies to see what they can bring but some of them don't have the stature to survive a league season against some of the hammer throwers in the SPFL. And like last season We will.lose a lot of goals at set pieces, we lack height and a physical presence.

And where the * did this cringey " Ange Ball " come from ?

Peej likes this.