1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I know a few people that have and that it's worked well for, but personally it's not for me. I do much better just eating when I'm hungry, but making sure that it's good quality and healthy food, rather than crap, and limiting my snacking. Plenty of videos on it if you're looking to try it though.

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Friday update. Skipped training Tuesday to watch Scotland be *... and I'm blaming that on only loosing 1lb this week. Wont be updating next week because I'm off to the benidorm of england to gain some weight :56: although ill still manage my 3 gym sessions. So next update will probably be an increase :fear:

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye I’m considering doing the 12/8 and calorie counting. Been watching loads on it and looks good for me. Just checking to see if anybody here’s personally done it.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It’s the late munchies that kills me man. Can be good all day and then I’ll be sitting there at 9 starving and go over to the garage across the road and get crisps and a cake.

Then go to bed feeling * cos it always gives me the boak when I eat too many sweeties :56:

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    @Deebo was into fasting for a while. He had a good experience with it.

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Trust me man if I can do it you can. I smoke joints quite frequently and used to absolutely gorge on sweets and chocolate late at night multiple times a week.

When you just get started and do it for a couple of weeks the desire to eat those munchies dwindles quite swiftly.

1: Because your gut bacteria is changing and the ones that crave the sweets are being replaced by gut bacteria that wants healthy food. This alters your cravings.

2: You can see the change in your body and you know the effort you’ve put in so you’re less likely to cave on a whim.

Like I said I still go at a good few munchies. This style of eating allows you to eat basically what you like so long as it’s inside your eating window. If I end up eating * on a Saturday night until midnight or 1am.. I’ll just hold off until about 4-7pm until my first Sunday meal. That might sound like an impossibility to you now but like I say your body adjusts to fasting pretty quickly.

What’s the 12/8?

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Eat between 12 o’clock and 8 o’clock and fast outwith that. Suits me best, rarely do breakfast and lunchbreaks 12:30ish. So that bit will be easy, just need to wrap the late night ones and count the calories so I’m putting good * into my body.

Slaw likes this.
  8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yeah I find fasting very good myself.

I very rarely eat breakfast, usually eat my first meal at 12pm or so. I found that difficult at first but it’s very much a habit now.

You’re supposed to eat everything within a 10 hour window, and that includes anything that gets your metabolism going so even drinking tea and coffee would count towards it. I’m not overly strict on that tbh but once I don’t eat until 12pm I find I’ll keep my calories down for the day no problem.

@\o/ if you’re really struggling later at night with it at the beginning just take a handful of almonds and have a pint of water and you’ll be sorted.

McChiellini.. and Liam Scales like this.
  9. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Last summer I did a 24 hour water fast. 1pm - 1pm the following day I only had water. It was tough but it helps massively with discipline with food.

Also I did it on a day when I was able to lie in bed all day watching Netflix. Probably be tougher if you were out and about or working.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Cheers mate, been looking at it for a while, time to actually do it rather than just saying I will.

11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Tea and coffee are perfectly fine to have and stay in a fasted state so long as you don’t use sugar or sweeteners. Also, everybody is different but 10 hours doesn’t do it for me. I try to keep the eating window to 6-8 hours (usually at the 8 hour range or slightly over).

Saul Goodman likes this.
  12. oh bhoy

You may be thinking of the 16/8 which is the just the number of hours fasting/ eating window , which may make what is meant by the other versions 18/6 or 20/4 clearer. Just happens to be what you are describing is an 8 hr eating window but you adjust it to suit your own needs of you find it easier to avoid food through day then have you eating window at night as long as you get the 16 hour fast
    As slaw already said it's not so much about what you eat as when,(within reason).I'm led to believe It has to do with avoiding spiking your insulin (even healthy food will do this) and if you can do that by fasting for a minimum of 16 hours your body will start using your body fat but I think that it only starts after 16 hours without food which is why you get people doing an 18/6 or 20/4 or eating all their daily food in one sitting to be burning fat for longer
    a 16/8 isn't that hard to do especially when you will be fasting overnight when you are sleeping anyway and if you sleep 8 hours that's only 8 to go without food and the results are crazy even without the shorter eating window.though it could take 3 or 4 weeks for the process to really get going
    I do a 16/8 but have been doing a 48 hour fast once a month for the reported health benefits of autophagy

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Liam Scales likes this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I skip breakfast a fair bit as well mate.
    Definitely find it helps and can see the difference on day's when I do that and run/have a wee workout..

Don't know if it's a good thing to do (unlikely) but I do my runs and workouts sometimes before I've had a thing to eat sometimes..

Saul Goodman likes this.
  14. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fasted cardio is great for burning fat.

I do it the odd time, and I find it’s good for you psychologically because it’s tougher than when you’re full of fuel and going for a PB so those runs will feel much better.

I’m due a few fasted cardio runs actually, let myself go a bit the last few weeks.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Spot on mate. I feel I've got the energy say for example I just get straight up and go for a long run than have a bite to eat, chill and then go for one. It's 100% more of a struggle for me. Good to know it's no actually bad for you :50:

I like to do morning workouts, press ups/sit ups etc before eating a thing as well..

I occasionally don't deliberately starve myself but if I'm busy working then do a run or that I sometimes don't eat until I have my dinner. Do then stuff my face a bit mind :giggle1:

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

All your posts in the HP&R section make sense now mate :drag:

Slaw likes this.
  17. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Back playing squash today after six weeks out with injury. Felt weak at times due to lack of fitness...but felt good too!

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    16km walked today with the dog, due to being out and about with friends. Unintentional exercise is still exercse. :50:

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Done my longest run earlier but feel like it's half * me..

Had heartburn early on and throughout the whole run, now feeling a bit under it indoors..

20. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Did my first 5k in near enough 3 months yesterday. I did it in 21.40 which is well off my PB of 19.20. Was a serious slog.

It’s a little frustrating because I was dead set on getting a sub 19 at the time but once I ran a marathon at the start of May I wanted to take a good break from it.

First one is always the toughest so hopefully it’s a case of knocking off 30 seconds or more for my next run and going from there.

Slaw likes this.