1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Messi

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Lilac Wine, Aug 6, 2020.

Discuss Messi in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lewis Kerr

I really hope he doesn't go to PSG, he's the GOAT with not much to prove but it's the far "easier" option, it would be disappointing.

Get yourself to City for a few years then retire in the MLS.

2. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    I liked what I saw in Paris, there have been signs here & there all season that there are a number of strong elements to build something going forward - especially with Ansu injured and Garcia soon to arrive

Shed players & their salaries (Coutinho, Griezmann, Pjanic, Umtiti, Lenglet & Firpo) and there is room to add a couple more pieces

Laporta will be key, club not only has a leader now but someone who can tilt the scales back in Barca's favor to retain Messi. Else, I agree - it's City

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Lewis Kerr

@FCBarca it's true that there are some great talents emerging at Barca, most of which seem ready to step into the first 11.

Its really sad to see what happened in recent years though, multiple CL humiliations, disastrous big money signings, completely wasting Messi's final peak years etc.

From a selfish standpoint I wanted him to leave last summer and still do, just want to see him in the EPL. I guess it will depend on whether or not Messi believes enough in the project to compete for one last CL. The talent is there but I don't rate Koeman and winning in Europe isn't easy.

The second leg vs PSG was promising but they still only managed a draw, I also got the feeling PSG never went out of first gear and were happy to sit back. I think it will take a few years for Barca to really complete again. It would be a shame to see Messi's career continue to fizzle out. I think he will probably stay though.

4. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    At the end of the day, even as a fan of the club, I want the player who has evoked so much joy for me personally to be happy himself - if that's at another club, then I want it for him too

As I say, 7 months ago I saw him plead to leave and I never expected socios to allow Bartomeu to sink the club for as long as he did to have it come to that. Laporta is fundamental to a long needed course correction, the buoyant atmosphere since the election is palpable. I still see it as ultimately Mission Impossible because it was allowed to get so bad but if anyone can shift it back to him wanting to stay, it'll be Laporta

Liam Scales likes this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Xavi’s appearance record equalled and for the 13th consecutive season he’s scored 20+, naturally with an absolute worldy.

He looks to be at the peak of his powers just now, wherever he’s at next season and the season after we should just savour him because it won’t be like this forever.

Peej, Moore, FCBarca and 2 others like this.
  6. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    The man is a *!

The GOAT in my eyes. When you look at young talents coming though!
    I can see CR7 in Mbappe & in Haaland I can see some CR7 and Ibra..
    Not many players will be able to play the way Messi does, one of a Kind, not from this planet, a *!

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Most gifted and natural footballer we have seen in any of our life times.

Some absolute fantastic players before him as well, but what this guy continues to do is just different level.

After the turn up in fortune for Barcelona lately and Laporta coming back in, I think Messi can be tempted to finish his career here (well at least the European part of his career, never say never to a surprise Japan or return to Argentina stint).
    Guys had his run ins and issues with the board/president and the overall clubs views going forward with the next project, but it all starting to look more interesting and progressive going forward now for them. Young talent like Pedri and even Puig, along with Fati etc will excite Messi to want to help them succeed for Barcelona, along with the reported possibility of some key funds added to compliment that.

Or at least I am wishful thinking.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Anyone who's watched him and doesn't consider him the GOAT is lying to themself.

9. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's not even a debate man. Not only the best footballer ever, but the best sportsman ever.

I usually find myself watching Messi videos at 1 in the morning if I'm getting a drink in the house. Bird always tells me the next day she could hear me laughing...it's because no matter how many times I watch him I cannot understand the audacity of him pulling off the * he does haha.

Best ever by a long, long way.

10. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Another unbelievable free-kick from him (25 yarder) in the copa America against Chile. What an absolute lege! :34:

11. Lewis Kerr

Mate I'm gonna greet when he hangs it up. No one comes close. Legend

Jmac402 likes this.
  12. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    My 8 y.o. asked me about Pele yesterday and how friends at school said he's the greatest, so I showed him YT clips of both explaining similar to how SAF weighed in that the greats could play in any era but that there is a difference in today's game in terms of speed, athleticism & tactics. Yet when you factor that all in and realize Messi makes the right decision the majority of the time (more so the greater the importance of the match) and does so with the speed of thought & execution that boggles the mind and to do so for more than 15 seasons, unprecedented and may very well be improbable to replicate much less top

Indeed in a manner of speaking, a type of cheat code since he appears to be playing a different game to the rest. Moreover, I have never witnessed a player evoke more joy from their play irrespective of the result or opponent - he's different sauce for sure

Jmac402 and Liam Scales like this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Definitely the best ever but as for provoking sheer joy, you just can’t beat Ronaldinho at his peak at Barca

14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He is unable to play for Barcelona this season unless they save £200m from their wage bill. Their new signings have to tale a wage cut or cant play.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  15. Liam Fraser

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Happy he won because it puts to bed the dumb argument that you need a international trophy to be the GOAT.

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Reports breaking he’s leaving Barca. All down to La Liga apparently.

18. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

PSG or Man City it'll be then..

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Despite FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi having reached an agreement and the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, this cannot happen because of financial and structural obstacles (Spanish Liga regulations).

As a result of this situation, Messi shall not be staying on at FC Barcelona. Both parties deeply regret that the wishes of the player and the club will ultimately not be fulfilled.

FC Barcelona wholeheartedly expresses its gratitude to the player for his contribution to the aggrandisement of the club and wishes him all the very best for the future in his personal and professional life.

20. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Celtic love a free transfer........

honda and cas79 like this.