1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad - Who Stays? Who Goes?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jan 24, 2021.

Discuss Squad - Who Stays? Who Goes? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Pretty sure that happened when Lennon first took over we signed about 10 players. That's after McGeady was sold for 9.5 million.

There is absolutely no reason that it can’t happen again with Eddy and Ajer being sold.

2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Time and a * poor scouting system are the main reasons I think we will struggle to bring in anywhere near that number of players (of the right quality). I'd guess we will get 5 or 6 and Ange will have to make do with what remains of the squad/youths.

From what I remember Rodgers didn't have that number of players coming in when he arrived either.

Having Euro 2020 on too is not going to do us any favours either.

3. Mr Hoopy

I wish I had your confidence mate - I guess I'm becoming more of a realist as I get older

NomDePlum likes this.
  4. bhoy81

Im not saying it’s going to happen but I don’t see why not because of the past.

We need 6/7 players to walk into the side and be first team quality and have players play back up etc because our squad is tiny now.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  5. bhoy81

Im not saying we won’t struggle to get players in, that’s a given regarding how long the powers at be have left it.

but we need more than 5/6 players. We need at least 6/7 first team players right off the bat and squad/youth players to fill the team out.

You can’t compare Rodgers first season as we had a settled team and only needed a few more quality players brought in. This is also a different time due to them cantering the league last season.

I used Lennon’s first season in charge due to the rebuild that was needed and the fact we had to sell our most prized asset at the time.

We can absolutely bring in 10 players from now to the transfer window closes. I’m not saying it’s going to be the players that everyone wants but it can be done. I can’t see us signing anyone from the Euros and that won’t slow things down if we want to sign anyone who is not there playing.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    NomDePlum likes this.
  6. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    If we invetably sell Ajer and Christie along with Edouard we have a lot of position needing filled. That's even before takeing into account the mess of team Lennon left us. It is criminal looking at Lennon poor transfer dealing over the last two years and especially last season where in brought in so many loan players and failed to buy a central defender.
    Firstly, I don't think Welsh is good enough to start and I also don't think Greg Taylor is the answer. So we baically need to buy a whole new back line (considering Julien is gonna be out for a while). Goalkeeper is another position we should improve but I think that isn't a big priority as I am open to giving Barkas one last chance and if we really cannot trust him in goal we can buy a new keepr nearer the transfer deadline.
    In midfield with Ely going back, we will need a new left winger. I hope Shved will be given a chance as well as Forrest and Mikey Johnston. WE probably also need a top top quality midfielder because our midfield has been so poor and we need someone who is creative and energetic (in other words a better version of Ryan Christie).
    Then up front we will certainly need a top striker to replace Edouard

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    @bhoy81 is on the money.

We need at least 6 players ready to walk into the first team and play. And doesn't include the new keeper we desperately need.

With the exception of Julien, Turnbull and Soro... every player in the squad should either be moving on or * their bricks that their career is about to hit the skids.

Lennon, ultimately paid the price for his part in travesty of last season. Time for the players to do the same. Move on, or get to * work. Hopefully Ange has zero tolerance for passengers and either gets them working or gets them out the door.

A new keeper is the priority for me. But who knows. Maybe there's a player inside Barkas and we've just never seen him.

bhoy81 likes this.
  8. bhoy81

Welsh needs more game time, he has shown more in the short space of time than most of the players last season bar Turnbull.

His reading of the game is excellent and he needs to work on other aspects but he is a diamond in the rough.

We need to use home grown talent more due to coming out of the EU and having home grown talent for Europe etc.

Welsh for me should be starting more next season and I can honestly see him being a mainstay in the side in the coming years.

Barkas maybe become a different player under Ange but he has a lot of making up to do cause he was absolutely dire.

I would rather Dembele be given game time than Shved. Another home grown talent needs game time and signed up to a long term deal. It’s criminal the way some of our youth players have been handled under Lennon.

I’ve posted a few times now we will need 6/7 first team players to walk into the side.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Keeper
    Right back
    Left back
    Centre half
    Centre mid/number 6
    Left winger
    Striker

We need more but think everyone would agree we need starter's brought in for all these position's. That's 7 starter's needed minimum..

The Phoenix likes this.
  10. alex_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys Of The Old Brigade
    Summer of 1997 was a massive rebuild after a very disappointing season with the 3 Amigos leaving and McStay retiring. Not sure how accurate Transfermarket is (seem to remember Brattbakk arrived later) but it suggests we signed 7 or 8 that summer with with Lambert added during the season. So shows it can be done but we'll need to move very quickly to get anywhere near that number.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/celtic-fc/kader/verein/371/saison_id/1997/plus/1

Liam Scales likes this.
  11. joemc

Lennon along with most other managers since Strachan have had players forced on them .

12. Rossmc

I agree, the fact Ange is half greek might help. I imagine hes one of those modern players that need an arm around the shoulder to bring his confidence back. I could never see Lenny doing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhoy81 likes this.
  13. Born green

I think anyone who wants to stay should be kept. Not necessarily because I want to keep everyone, but because purchasing a whole new team in 1 summer is just about impossible.

Lennon got very very lucky with how many of those new signings after McGeady were a success. Imagine signing the equivalent of Izzy, Kayal, Ledley, Hooper, Stokes, Mulgrew, and Forster in 1 window! Even the lesser names like Majstorovic, Cha, Murphy and Juarez did alright in spells. That was lightning in a bottle. We have no chance of replicating that.

Ange could/should be working hard to improve what he's got first and foremost.

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I would give Barkas another crack, and try get rid of both Bain and Hazard, try get the like of Marshal as a back up/competition for Barkas.
    A quality RB, Lee O'C might do as back up.
    A quality LB, Taylor as back up. Punt Boli.
    A center half with leadership ability that will walk into starting 11, another CH, along with CJ and Walsh.
    A top drawer midfielder to compliment Turnbull, suspect we will see a revitalized Tam also. We also have the likes of Shaw to have a look at and would love for Luka C to get a shot, rather that trying the likes of Bitton and Nicham, try punt both.
    Forrest will need a back up and competition, not sure about Shevd, would be worth a try.
    LW for sure, Sinclair type, maybe Ange can get Micky J motoring.
    Up front, is where we need a marque signing, Ajeti does not inspire me, Bayo worth a try.

A lot of wishful thinking but there are a lot of players getting released in England that could do a job.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It wasn’t lightning in a bottle, he’d just spent a season helping John Park build up the scouting department and trusted in the structure implicitly. It’s why we had such a good hit rate around that time. We don’t have that structure now.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We should have started signing players 2 weeks yesterday.

Seriously, we need like 10-15 players. 6 or 7 isn't enough.

17. murphy88

It is a bare minimum 10 we are going to need I think. 6 or 7 to go right into the starting lineup with another 3 or 4 that are going to challenge them for places. Edouard, Ajer, Ntcham and Christie will all probably go, and there is more deadwood on top of that we should be looking to offload as well. Bitton, Bain and Ralston for example. No sure what will happen with the likes of Bayo, Barkas, Bolongoli and Ajeti. Do they get another go at it. It’s some mess to try and clean up. Waiting until this stage to bring in a new manager has as good as surrendered any chance of silverware next season in my opinion. Said it before but if we get knocked out of the CL qualifiers, which I think is quite likely, then it might not be the worst thing getting papped out the Europa as well. It would at least let us concentrate on trying to make a challenge for the league, and the CL prize money that comes with it for the winner.

18. bhoy81

Ange doesn’t have much to work with in the first place.

We need another 6/7 first team players players.

19. Born green

Yeah, good point. The difference before and after John Park is incredible. Signings under Rodgers were mostly abysmal, barring the ones he picked himself e.g Sinclair.

That structure should be one of the things that had to be overhauled. Though it's unlikely we would see the impact of that in this window, sadly.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Barkas / Bain / Hazard

Taylor / Montgomery / O'Connor

Julien / Welsh / Bitton

McGregor / Connell / Soro
    Turnbull
    / Henderson / Rogic

Ajeti / Forrest / Johnston / Dembele / Afolabi

Players in bold are ones that are/should be amongst the starting lineup, Ajeti I'm undecided on and not sure if he will be moved on but with Griffiths out the door and Édouard to leave I think he might stay. Players not bolded to be squad players. Ajer and Christie I've presumed are going.

The defence is so threadbare, not sure if Bitton is still in contract and whether or not he'll be kept on under Ange. Really we need 2 centre halves minimum and the same at RB. Goalkeeper I'd like us to sign a new no.1 but can see Barkas being given another chance to start afresh. Hopefully has acclimatised and settled a bit now.

Midfield we still have good options but need wide players who can also play wing back ideally. Think we will need to bring in versatile players who can cover each other across the park in order to make the squad stretch the number of games we play, particularly early on with qualifiers.