1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    :giggle1:

HopeAngeDoesn'tFuckUp likes this.
  2. Mr Cleansheets

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting Ange should be looking to either Australians or the A-League for a massive rebuild. It's more a few suggestions of people who've done well and could be considered.

Personally, I doubt he'll sign more than one or two (Australians) in the immediate term - for a range of reasons - but any he does sign will be because they have the quality and are cheaper than the Euro equivalent.

He'll also be looking at youth prospects, because that's what he always does. I'd be amazed if he brought in any Oz player other than Mooy or Ryan - or someone very young.

It'll be a good period for anyone currently in the Celtic youth set up.

3. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    You are trolling now… McGowan :rofl:

McChiellini.. likes this.
  4. Mr Cleansheets

To be fair, MacLaren has gone to a new level this year, suddenly got it right at the age of 27. These things happen. It's not just the quantity of goals (25 in 24 matches this year) it's the way he gets them and the number of assists. He's fantastic at bringing others into the play. He'll be looking to go back to Europe and will be a vastly better player than when he was at Hibs.

George Theodorou likes this.
  5. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Looked good for about 20 mins then done his ACL.

JML67, RiquelmeCSC and Liam Scales like this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mooy might happen, but that'd be most of the budget spent on just one player.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace

8. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Mooy went to China for a £4m transfer fee, can’t see the Chinese asking for more than that. If that’s most of the transfer budget, then * help Ange, because he’s gonna need it if that’s the case :47:

Lebo likes this.
  9. MAP

Booby prize.

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I do believe the board selected a manager who spent either 1.5 or 3.3M pounds on transfer fees (depending on the sources) in his whole career for that very reason.

11. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    What are these big connections other than being a friend of Peter Lawells son?

12. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Traditionally the club has spent about £10m-£13m on transfers, plus signed players on loan. For a big rebuild and with some high profile departures, I’d hope that amount was at least available.

13. murphy88

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he looks a far better player now that he is playing in Australia. The standard of defending is awful if truth be told.

14. VT8

Come on Aussie Bois, stop embarassing us. I like MacLaren but not Celtic standard.

15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

16. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I don't know much about Big Ange apart from his time as an International gaffer for Australia. I have listened to a few interviews, read about him from others explaining the person and also his idea of how the game should be played. His ideas are appealing, but it's the delivery, understanding and application of them that will be the ultimate test.

I was interested in all this pish surrounding coaching qualifications or the UEFA paper exercises which cost a bawhair off 10 grand depending on the level. Big Ange has the paper equivalent to what UEFA calls their A Licence or appears they don't recognise it as equal to their Pro Licence. The same level I believe as Monster Munch Mattress Man, who cannot command the English Language, despite spending all of his time in countries that utilise it. Ange has 25 years of coaching experience and coached at the highest level competition within football, so I have no fears nor do I totally understand the furore that was around this part. Because he doesn't have this "Pro Licence", but has worked at youth levels and a number of clubs many of these Pro Licence holders could only dream of having. And probably wasn't fast-tracked up the levels either like many of the "professionals" are afforded. The body of work and the ability of the individual to coach/teach/get his ideas understood by the players is far more important.

There are a lot of negative comments about his coaching history, "he's only managed in Australia and Japan". The last man in the job had managed here for years and still managed to * it up big time. And no waving of his Pro Licence or recanting of his past glory could change the shitshow of last season.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about the backing he will get from the morons in responsible for the daily running of our club. If they are true to their form, then it will be even more difficult for Ange to fulfil his methods and ideas. And that probably plays into the fear and trepidation for many other fans about this appointment.

I do have doubts about Ange, not totally bought in. However, I'm willing to see what he has to offer and what sort of reaction he gets from the players. I don't expect instant success, as we have a lot of work needing to be done on the squad. We're integrating a lot of new parts at one time and rarely does it get off to a flyer. European Football is up in the air for me, probably the Europa Conference competition.

Lot of work to get done and already short on time.

Lebo likes this.
  17. HopeAngeDoesn'tFuckUp

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Great to see another enthusiastic Aussie but the only Celtic calibre player would be Hrustic. Then Brad Smith is a massive maybe I love the A league and rate Aussie players but don't forget Arzani was lightning in a bottle here and * wrapped in a foil in the SPL.
    The rest of those guys would get * in the SPL.
    Unfortunately, whilst those players may have potential the A league had ultimately hampered the overall quality of Australian players. Most Aussie players used to go overseas get told they were * and dig deep and improve or change their career. Too many Aussies use the A league as a plan b which stops them achieving greatness. Aye, Mooy is the exception but Brillante is the prime example of the majority.
    Once again, love those players personally but as I now wish for the best for Celtic, they would be terrible signings and are way below the calibre required.

craigtheceltic and VT8 like this.
  18. VT8

You're right, first sign of adversity and generally they're straight back on the plane back to an a-league side.

I had high hopes on Arzani but injury aside, there must be something wrong else with the guy. Didn't do well at Celtic and at the other Dutch club where I'm pretty sure he got criticised for his work ethic.

HopeAngeDoesn'tFuckUp likes this.
  19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Postecoglou develops and improves players as a coach. Oz players have a strong work ethic, stay fit and have a hunger to improve given the chance. Viduka was the complete package when he joined Celtic for a substantial transfer fee from Zagreb. In fact he was good from the age of 18 playing for Melbourne Croatia, it was obvious. Celtic can pick up Australian players for a reasonable fee instead of paying millions for British players from the lower leagues.
    Celtic do not have endless funds like Chelsea, Man. City etc, and need to use the given budget wisely in getting players. Ange can identify and include 4-5 proven players with further potential from Oz and include them in a squad of say 30 players, along with the cream of the Celtic reserve team (Academy), the existing team, and from elsewhere he has in mind. There will be no sense of player entitlement under Ange. Everybody will be considered on their merits, their hard work and being totally professional. No one will feel that they are a certain starter each week. Ange wants players to train hard each week and compete for places in the team. He also rotates his teams so that he gets the best from everyone and so that everyone buys into his system of playing by getting game time.

No one's place will be guaranteed - Rogic included.

VT8 and Wee Baldy like this.
  20. Scubaroo

To be fair, mooy failed in scotland and came back to the a-league. But he didn't play in the a- league before going to the uk.

Any Australian should know that the a-league is nothing like scotland, we have 3 other football codes plus cricket and basketball that take all our best athletes, there are numerous stories of players that couldve made it to Europe but chose AFL, league or cricket. We have a football league that does the best it can, i mean over the past 10 years the salary cap has averaged AUD$2.5M to cover 23 players, of course were not going to have players that can walk into celtic.

I love the a-league but I'm not dilusional. We do have quite a number of young players that are coming through, that will be our best generation of players since the golden generation, id love for Celtic to be an outlet for some of these kids to develop at but i don't think thats on Anges mind at the moment.