1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Had Howe ever been to CP or Lennoxtown, had he ever met the players ?

2. Mr Diggler

I think we can be a bit parochial in our analysis sometimes. Football does exist outside England and Europe. This guy has done well at the clubs he has been at and managed the Australia team well. He has won leagues and an established and respected international trophy. He is not the no Mark many are portraying him as. What was Eddie Howe's main achievements at Bournemouth? Staying in the Premier league. That's it. He took them from League two to the Premier league and stayed there. An excellent achievement but hardly something that remotely could be compared to the scrutiny and pressure at Celtic. That said he excited me as he is a progressive coach with a good brand of football albeit his last achievement was relegation. Dissappointed that he won't be joining and furious at the board but this Aussie should be taken on his own merits. He will either be a Wim Jansen or a Pedro Caxinha- only time will tell. It's a gamble. A massive gamble but it is where we are. I think he has potential.

CelticBoabie likes this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think Howe was told he was getting Kennedy, possibly Strachan jr and would have to scale back his own backroom staff. The fact that Howe knocked us back (and he did knock us back) and Kennedy and Strachan are still here just shows that.

Kennedy and Strachan should have been let go at the end of the season, it’s * terrifying that they are still here.

The last ultimate slap in the face is if Ange says “* this” and knocks us back because he is having those two foisted on him.

Jacob knows likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I dont know

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

If this was the case from the off then how did it take 3 month before we found out it wouldn't be Howe ? :43:

AdamRS likes this.
  6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I hope howe comes out and explains the reasons

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Fuctifano mate :giggle1:

Just guesswork on my part. The fact those two are still employed by Celtic and Eddie Howe isn’t is setting off alsorts of alarm bells.

8. Heb Celt

I think Ange was plan B for a while but after more thinking and research from the club,maybe the cheaper option but I think they preferred this option.The board know if this doesn’t work out they’re necks are on the line with fans patience at tipping point.My only worry is the short time we have to rebuild not only the squad but back room staff who will scout/sign players in such a short time.If he can do well in qualifying games it will put him in good stead early doors.

9. david100825

Why are we risking this? Mental.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Something no right about it all SD mate, i'm gettin the feeling that it was never gonna be Howe, when he initally met up with DD or whoever, you would've thought he would've made clear that he wanted his own backroom team, Celtic would either agree to it or not, then and there, the fact that it dragged on for 3 months tells me it suited the Board for this to remain a rumour without there ever being a realistic chance it would happen.

James, Jacob knows, murphy88 and 2 others like this.
  11. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    If Harkin is so comfortably nominating the Aussie well surely he's been elected for some time for the dof gig and surely he's been getting going with what he needs to do identifying players

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

craigtheceltic and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

A lot of us would have settled for Maresca (me included) yet he is/was a youth team coach. What is the major difference? Maresca was YT coach in Europe, at a huge club and would have been known to a lot of supporters who follow the EPL.

Take geography out of it though, this guy Ange has a far superior CV. Far superior.

In an ideal world it would be neither and we would get an experienced coach with at least a track record of the very late stages of the EL and title wins in comparative European countries.

Just not understanding why Maresca would have been exciting but this guy is a disaster waiting to happen. Seems very insular to me.

13. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Thinking in a recruitment basis Howe had knowledge of the English market and probably very little of Europe, both of which every EPL/major team in Europe has and is either over inflated prices or being touted to other clubs pushing them outwith our scope. I’d hope Ange has a few aces up his sleeves knowing an entire different market that we’re used to.

14. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

thats where fergal and the man city contacts come in

we need that much of a player turnover and starting from scratch like this will suit this guy ange by all accounts as its a blank sheet to make into what he wants

im actually quite excited by this

Heb Celt likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Postecoglou’s assistant?

Avatar Daizen and Sean Daleer like this.
  16. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    You have to ask yourself could it get any worse than Kennedy or Lennon? Instead of panicking about someone we don’t know to much about and spitting the dummy out because we didn’t get the fans favourite, why not try and embrace him and learn more about him.

* me I know it’s not everyone’s first choice but it a bit of an overreaction on the guy. Most people don’t have a clue about him (including myself) so go out and read about him, watch his press clips, docos etc the more you read the more intriguing it becomes. Interesting guy with an interesting philosophy of the game.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  17. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Success rate on this working out seems pretty low, no harm to the guy but this has Pedro Caixinha written all over it, at least he can speak English though.

18. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Private jet just arrived into Glasgow from marrakech. Wonder if it’s yer man. Unveiled tomorrow

19. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    The bold Pedro was proven at a much higher level also.

This has disaster written all over it.

The first loss and the atmosphere around the ground will be toxic, particularly if Kennedy and Strachan are still there.

20. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’ve read enough and watched enough.... I’ve convinced myself he could be a great appointment and I’m excited.

My only condition is Kennedy and Strachan both get to * and he has some sort of control in signings and back room staff.

TheHappyLoss likes this.