1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Was never that sold on Howe and if he doesn't want to come then good riddance. Should have called it months ago.

Absolute reddy from the board on how they have handled this.

Heard Ryan McGowan talking about Postecoglou on the radio earlier. He made him sound like an excellent manager to work with.

Likes to play attacking attractive football, professional and meticulous and his own man. All good attributes. If he had time to identify and get a squad together over a few months it might even have looked like a decent plan B. Given that not sure what we can expect from him this coming season at all.

Just wondering if there is a final spanner in the works here. The work visa and quarantine being the obvious ones.

JC Anton, TheHappyLoss and honda like this.
  2. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

At no time has anybodybsaid the coaches didn't want to come other than the media, club statement says he was unable to assemble his team. There were prob 1 or 2 that were still contracted to Bouremouth and we were unwilling to pay the asking compensation, prob £50k....It has Lawell written all over it as have the previous failed player transfers. And yes I agree, player recruitment was prob an issue as well

3. wulliebad

I think when he realised the budget was for a whole team and not a single player he decided * that.

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I'd rather have Roy Keane's right * than this guy.

Cena and oh bhoy like this.
  5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Weirdly I'm actually more excited about this than I was about Howe. :giggle1:

6. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

we knew that he wanted richard hughes as DOF months ago so why not say * off to him then like we should have! then we had plenty of time to get a replacement ?

Dublin Celt likes this.
  7. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Good to see Thommo looking well!

8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Based on what? Do a bit of research on him Prof, it ain't all bad.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  9. murphy88

I remember convincing myself that Deila would be a great appointment and got all excited about it as well.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Would you be happy if this guy was appointed ?

AdamRS likes this.
  11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Yes. In fact I wouldn't take Howe over him.

12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Me too. Happy Clapper CSC.

In all seriousness this guy sounds like he has a little more about him than Deila.

Dannybhoy81 and Slaw like this.
  13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    We should have and taken maresca although Ange appears to have lot more experience and pedigree than maresca

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

14. James Gold Member Gold Member

I find that mad. I always felt we were over rating Howe as well but he basically took Bournemouth from being on life support to the PL and had them playing some decent stuff consisitantly punching above their weight at a level higher than our own. As I say I don't want to * on Ange's achievements but an A and J league title along with an Asian cup where realistically he played one team of note for me isn't comparable

Idioteque likes this.
  15. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

we need some videos of Ange talking football now

16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

This video is worth a watch for anyone who's distraught over the idea of Ange getting the job.

Noskeil likes this.
  17. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    tbh I think that’s a gross miscarriage of fairness on Ange, a manager with both league and international experience with a few clubs, compared to a manager that’s been at the same club his entire career, who had one decent season in the EPL? The gamble we were willing to take on Howe was huge, every manager is. Think some of our fans are being a bit precious and pedantic about the thought of someone that wasn’t their first choice.

tarboltontim and Slaw like this.
  18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He won Australia their first ever piece of silverware I believe. In Japan, his team won the league for the first time in 15 years. At Brisbane he was part of all 4 of their only ever title wins. He has more achievements that I can't remember.

I liked the idea of Howe. He's a forward thinking manager in every regard and places a big importance on professionalism. His achievements at Bournemouth were with the help of some major financial backing as alluded to by somebody else earlier in this thread.. which I wasn't actually aware of. He also got them relegated.

I wanted Howe.. but I wouldn't have him over Ange now personally.

Howe is accustomed to spending 20 million on English diddies. Ange knows how to rebuild a club on a budget. He's done it multiple times. He also has the help of the City Group scouting network and knows the Asian and Australian markets well.. markets which we should be availing of much more often.

19. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

the whole thing is sus as *

did howe not say i need to do my due dilligence on celtic or words to that effect, that pricked my ears up then the he wouldnt take a job to the summer and he wanted richard hughes as DOF lots of obstacles put in front of celtic and lawell,

it really looks to me like the board kind of new he wasnt going to be our man but allowed the rumours to fester for months whilst they had Ange in the background as the fallback but probable preferable choice

20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Nah I think the board genuinely thought they had Howe. They told players on Tuesday Howe was the next manager. Incompetent *