1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

One goal.

Closing down doesn’t equal possession, it’s definitely not a myth. Players don’t float about and back off like that clip, they are on you quick and they stay on you.

AdamRS likes this.
  2. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Lets be honest it most likely came down to him being lumped with Kennedy and Strachan as non-negotiable members of his team.

3. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Whilst I agree with pretty much everything you. This bold part is harsh and we have to get away from that attitude. A 50% win ratio is hard to achieve in competitive leagues such as the A-League or J League. Its not like being manager of Celtic. Since the A League was created back in 2004/5 only 2 teams have won the championship 2 years in a row, only of those being Postecoglou's Brisbane Roar.

In Japan, Yokohama, according to a tweet I read earlier, had the 11th/12th highest wage budget the year before the won the league and I cant imagine that changed dramatically before winning the league. Aye they finished 9th last season (currently 4th, 2nd to the league winners 3 of the past 4 years, if they win some of their games in hand) which I'm sure goes down as a disappointment, but between 2019 and 2020 seasons, the top 3 teams were completely different, which says something about the competitiveness and how alot of teams will be able to beat each other. We're focusing on him having a bad season in Japan, rather than the fact he won a league with a wage budget probably lower than their rivals. He's won silverware in 3 different manager roles. That's a great achievement

I still agree with your overall point, but we're belittling his achievements a little bit on here.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  4. Maestro 08

It would be convenient to think that but for the sake of two members of staff I can't see us putting the breaks on things to that extent, so late in the process. It's obviously been something significant and something relatively new in the process.

5. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    But isn’t that like saying 10 in a row isn’t a big achievement in the spl then?

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Exactly what I was getting at earlier.

I think we’re all (well, just about) in agreement that we want somebody more high profile who has done it in a better league. But some comments about this guy are * mad.

We always say how people elsewhere look down on Scottish football and belittle our players and achievements etc. Some on here are doing the exact same thing with this guy.

Zander, craigtheceltic and Maestro 08 like this.
  7. Mr Cleansheets

Pretty sure it was.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Incredible patter.

* probably been sitting on that for months :giggle1:

Cena likes this.
  9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I’m honestly done, and would have been anyway, even if we’d appointed Pep 3 months ago.

But * me, I’ve scrolled through the last 12 pages and nearly choked myself to sleep with laughter with some of the patter on here, with members being facetious and serious :56:

They say if you don’t laugh you’ll cry, I’m simultaneously doing both.

10. Maestro 08

Very true that. Also see a lot of posters going on about how they want us to have a scouting system that is so good it identifies the quality young players one or two stages before they are targeted by the financial big boys. Then you suggest an up and coming manager and ur ridiculed for it. Own worst enemy sometimes tbh.

11. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    So it’s not Eddie Beige then?

12. john2061

You be better off with Skippy at this * rate and put a red baseball cap on it and glasses and it would look like klopp .
    Everybody must be having a good laugh at us right now and next season is * and it's only the end of may .

13. Mr Cleansheets

He might've been if he hadn't done his ACL on debut.

Only just coming back from that injury now, in Belgium I think. Desperately hope he gets his mojo back because he was genuinely special.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  14. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    If Ange becomes the manager I wouldn’t be surprised to see Aaron Mooy come soon after. Played in the Premier League for Huddersfield and Brighton, then went to China last year. Due to pandemic quarantine requirements etc, hasn’t seen his family for a year, who are based in the UK, his wife is Scottish. Would be a good fit.

kramer1 and Mr Cleansheets like this.
  15. Mr Cleansheets

Would love to see Mooy at Celtic. Was almost single-handedly responsible for getting Huddersfield into the EPL and has been the best player in the Australian NT for some years (Rogic has had some excellent games but doesn't have Mooy's consistency). Mooy was the best player on the pitch when Oz played France at the WC in Russia - totally bossed the midfield against Kante and Pogba. His tackle on Griesman is worth googling if you can find it.

Thing is, Mooy is on huge wages in China and probably doesn't have the profile to warrant the same in Scotland. He's also getting on. 31, I think, but still playing well right now.

16. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You did the same with my Steve Clarke and Callum Davidson suggestions :56:

littlekennie likes this.
  17. TheHappyLoss

I have no idea who Ange is, 21st century Venglos moment

Creativecelt and The67Sound like this.
  18. dmac

All the talk about a new manager and the club have spent as long trying to sort out a DOF this appointment looks like it could end up being the same shambles you just wonder what is going on at board level. The board seen to be incapable of doing anything right Lawell is certainly goiing out with a bang and they have set the club back years with the * show of last season which looks like carrying on into next season

19. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I can't wait to see fans in Celtic Park giving the board absolute dogs abuse. The disdain they have for us has no bounds.

* stuff.

Shoot the board

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    * it.

I'm on board.

I've been reading about him for over 4 hours now. I'm not fully convinced that he's a good match for us. But I am half way convinced he's a very good coach.

He does have major issues regarding his demeanor. He quite literally CANNOT take criticism. Allowing it to force him out if the Australian manager job after qualifying for Russia. Has a tendency to spit is dummy out if the press and pundits question his tactics.

But, coming from Lennon to this... it's a big big step forward, tactically at least.

I also read into to his disastrous j league campaign which worried alot if us.

And I actually do buy his "excuse" for such a season. He actually put his his hands up and blamed his own lack of foresight.
    Using Liverpool's collapse as a comparative example, he blamed the intensity of his tactics. Asserting that he was niave in thinking that covid would abate, and that his high intensity game could be implemented as usual.
    The j-league basically compacted an entire season into 5 and a half months. His tactics weren't sustainable, his players could find any anchors, and it all fell apart.
    He pointed to Guardiola this year for his hindsight epiphany. With Pep openly stating to the media that he had his players run less in training and in games to reserve energy for the intensity of their style.
    He also had a chopped and changed team due to injuries. With this he pointed that the eventual champions, Kawasaki, had the most settled defence in the league. Due to consistent injuries, Marino's only played 8 domestic games with the same centre backs and keeper. That's always gonna * you.

"(Liverpool), not so much on the success bit, but you look at their football, it's high intensity and it's just not sustainable when you have such a congested fixture list.

"It's not just them. Any team around the world who play that play that high intensity, particularly with the pressing aspect not so much in possession, have found it very difficult. Liverpool are a classic example of that. Even like a club like Southampton, who pride themselves on that pressing aspect have struggled this season.

"The way you struggle, it's not just about the results, but you lose players to injuries, trying to maintain that kind of intensity. Rotation of players affects the fluency of how you play. What I found last year especially, you can kind of rotate the front half of your team and still sort of get some stability and consistency in results but if you have to change centre-backs and defenders regularly, you're going to struggle. That's definitely where we struggled last year. I don't think there was more than half-a-dozen games where we had the same centre-back pairing and goalkeeper in a row because of the injuries we had. We conceded a lot of goals.

"You look at Liverpool and most of their injury problems have been at the back. The converse of that, I look at Kawasaki who were so dominant in our league. They were really stable in terms of their back four and didn't really make changes. Had more depth in the front third where they could rotate players. Their game was based around keeping the ball, they weren’t as aggressive in the process. I think data wise they were the lowest-running team in the league. That was definitely the way to go last year. They had the quality to do it also, it's not an easy way to play.

"Even reading about Pep Guardiola's comments that his trying to get his team to run less through this period and they've been more effective. There's definitely a correlation there with the amount of running you need to do to play your style of game. The more it is, the more effective it is during this period."

Now I'm not going to bat for the guy.

But I am impressed by his football mind and his tactical nous. And if I'm being honest, if we do give him the job I'll be more than relieved it wasn't Keane, Lennedy, Lampard, or any other bozo. This guy actually knows what he's about and what he wants to do.

Whether he's a good fit for Celtic, I've no idea.

But for now, I say give it to him. Give him a season to show he's moving us in the right direction.

Let's be honest guys. It's him or back to square one.
    It may not be the leap forward we need, but at the very least we'll have a tactically sound manager, who doesn't allow himself to be pushed around by suits (re: his Australia federation beefs) and who understands the modern game.