1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonathan Afolabi.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 17, 2019.

Discuss Jonathan Afolabi. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I do not know. Certainly all worth a look in pre-season and then if not ready straight away we should loan them out.
    Unless we are finally able and allowed to start a second string playing in the lower leagues. Not sure if that is still a possibility or not.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Not even on the bench here?

4. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He was replaced basically when they signed Cummings, afolabi only has 3 goals in 23 this season....

We ahoydk have recalled him for the post dubai games, we needed an actual striker and he wasn't exactly flying then there anyway, could have been a good kick-start.

Don't see him going anywhere here really

The_Bhoy and Bobo_ like this.
  5. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    How do these players play so poorly out at the standard they do

6. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Change of a lot of things, youth football is different to the proper game,you see it all the time with crazy goal stats at youth then they come up to the bigger leagues and do not get anywhere near it again.

For this boy as well he will have gone into a very physical league and going to a lower quality place is another change, how you think won't nessesarily be right any more, see all the Premier league players that have come here and underestimated things and been utter *.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  8. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

31 July 2019: named in UEFA European U19 team of the tournament

21 August 2019: joins Celtic. Career grinds to a halt

I’ve not seen much of the guy so can’t really comment on his ability. Still managed to make the last Irish U21 squad.

I remember the Athletic reporter on the Cynic, saying he had spoken with people close to him and he wasn’t that pleased with his time at the club. He was one of the 2/3 young guys we brought in together that were promised a first team appearance in their first year, but it never arrived. He only found out that he wasn’t going to be involved with the first team the following season, after he seen pre season pictures appear on Celtics Instagram. He had no contact from the club all summer.

The fact that the club never released a statement after he was racially abused was also a disgrace.

It’s hard to see his future at Celtic

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The guy has had 2 loans now, while not to great clubs I feel he was given more of a chance to shine than Connell. He hasn't impressed in the slightest. Some players are decent enough at u19 and u21. Look at players like Hornby, scored for fun for Scotland u21, can't score at senior level.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think a lot of it comes down to the attitude of the player, rather than skill. They may see being sent off on loan as being a punishment, or that they are perceived as not good enough for here, so they are disheartened when they get to the new club, they don't want to be there and don't put the effort in.

Others see it as an opportunity to get game time, see other coaching methods, and develop. Those are the ones that tend to do well, even when they are technically less gifted.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Hasn't shown enough. Ironically a player that could maybe benefit from a half a season training with the first team and coaching from Howe.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nowhere near good enough.

Dublin Celt and The Dude like this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Professional football is much different than youth football, it’s why I’m very impressed with Connel.

Far nore talent than where he is on loan, but he’s showing it and making the most of it.

Rydo1888*, Dannybhoy81 and The_Bhoy like this.
  14. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Don’t know why he wasn’t put back to Dunfermline a club he was doing well at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StainseyBhoy likes this.
  15. Dip 'n' Swerve

if he cant make an impact into the rep of Ireland team he is hardly going to make an impact and do the job this season.

instead of pet projects such as the lad and polish paddy etc etc.. we need to focus on now and experience to hit the ground running. we are seriously taking our eye of the ball.

If howe comes in I would expect him to bring in a team around he trusts and also players he trusts can do this.. josh king / ryan fraser etc etc… he knows from the word go the race starts - he isn't foolish I believe it or not I would say desmond has guaranteed a certain pot of money to play with - 20-30 mill? Otherwise why would howe take the risk.

howe in European games (albeit qualifiying) that surely will wet his appetite - lets see how he gets on against European counterparts for me the slavia manager would have been a great coup!

anyhow make a decision this get and get planning - lets bring in some signings to galvanise the fans and get this title back in a vital season ahead

Hail Hail

16. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    A player like Afolabi was a good one to take a risk on. We signed him for free/dev fee and he was a young player with promise. Yes so far it seems a dud but * happens, better than the 3.5 for paddy that's more where you want instant impact on the team.

We got Ajer, Dembele and Frimpong in that's same fashion and Hjelde, O'connor and now Shaw all on similar right now that all look like they could come good.

Yes this season we need established players for immediate impact but we should still be getting the "project" players in going forward as they can be key in both geting talent in and subsequently a money maker.

Id rather we have our average cost of first team player go up and be supplemented by these free or dev signings.

The_Bhoy and Dublin Celt like this.
  17. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Considering the level of the rebuild and Howes apparent strength in coaching and developing young players that want to be improved he is gonna have to get some success from the likes of O'Connor Shaw Welsh hjelde dembele connell robertson Johnson etc.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

18. Dip 'n' Swerve

MJ - the Darren Anderton of Scotland
    roberston looks a good prospect - KT traits.
    Connell - would like him involved in the team this season
    Dembele - compete with forrest for a place in the team
    Hjelde - well talked about excited to see what he can offer
    Welsh - not really for me - no pace, squad player at best

what we need is to bring in a backbone asap

If Howe wants the job you would think a list of players has already been drawn up given the fact the European games are 9/10 weeks away?

Given the fact I think this would be howe's first European experience it will be a real test of his pedigree outside the 'bright lights' of the EPL. It has been a tough breeding ground in the last 10 years for all celtic managers testing their experience, wit, pre-season jitters et - and the celtic way is not to do things the comfortable way.

19. GavCFC1

20. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Straight into the team for tonight apparently