1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

They are trying to get back to the Premiership. That’s the peak for these guys and clubs. Absolutely no chance there would be an announcement regarding them before hand and if they get to the Premier League they might not even come.

2. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    His overall record in management is pretty exceptional whatever you think of his time at Sunderland. Look at Klopps record before he went to Dortmund or Benitez before he went to Valencia or Mourinho before he went to Porto - they were quite mixed at lower level clubs (apart from a few games at Benfica for Mourinho)then they showed what they could do when a top club gave them the chance. I don't know why Scottish and English fans are so enthrall to foreign coaches instead of giving our best young managers a chance. How are guys like Ross, Howe and Potter supposed to prove themselves at the top level if a top team in their own country won't give them the chance. This doesn't happen in other countries.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You suggesting we should/would be content on hiring a manager who came 3rd in Austrai, Switzerland, Belgium etc? not a * chance.
    2rd in Portugal, maybe depending on what else he done, since there are at least 3 high level clubs there.
    But no one would want that!
    Not unless the CV was coated in previous success.

Nonsense to suggest otherwise.

But some won't be happy it seems, till we completely settle for absolute mediocrity, maybe we should all just buy a Hibs ST next year instead, since folk want us to sign half that team and the coach!

4. The Dude

You are objectively wrong.

Davidson, Hughes, and Wright have all won a major honour (at smaller clubs, I might add); Ross has won no major honours.

Try again.

5. The Dude

Jack Ross' managerial record is 'exceptional'. That is enough internet for today. :giggle1:

JamesM09 and TheHappyLoss like this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You for real?

What exactly has Jack Ross done to deserve an opportunity at a bigger club?

They’ve finished 3rd in the league. I know it’s apparently uncommon for them but the fact it’s being celebrated is an utter embarrassment. The rest of the league has been a disgrace this season.

They got pumped in the League Cup semi off St Johnstone. They’re in the Scottish Cup final after knocking out QOTS, Stranraer, Motherwell on penalties and Dundee United. He’d be getting questioned if any of those teams had knocked them out so that’s hardly a great accomplishment.

If he wins the Scottish Cup then well done. Great achievement for him. But again, talk about a fairly favourable set of teams to come up against.

Crilly likes this.
  7. James Gold Member Gold Member

If it's Celtic that will be paying his wages I want him giving his all to us he is not employed by Bournemouth anymore. I get it's all speculation at the moment but the thought of the board or even Howe sitting on this for months in an attempt to help Bournemouth maybe get promotion doesn't sit right with me. If that is the case we are risking season ticket sales over Bournemouth.

If these rumours are true I would imagine any coaches coming to us from Bournemouth will already be well aware it will be happening

8. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Come on Eddie.

Howe let the dogs out :62:

9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Howe will either be joining us or he won't, it can't be dependant on whether his old club get promoted or not, if he's already agreed to be manager there should be nothing stopping the club from making an announcement.

We don't have the luxury of time, the last thing we want right now is any uncertainty.

10. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    What's your source for that rumour?

11. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Howe loooong has this been goin' on..

12. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    As I've already said he won 10 games in a row with Alloa - a record - I'm assuming they're over 100 years old so doing something that's never been done in over 100 years could be classed as exceptional. Taking over a club who are 6 points adrift, keeping them up then winning the league by 12 points all within 16 months is pretty exceptional and in his first season at Hibs finishing 3rd so effectively winning the league for them since no other club can finish above Celtic and rangers and getting to a cup final is reasonably exceptional. The only club he didn't do exceptionally well at is Sunderland where he did ok.

Anyway I've said all I'm going to say on Ross. I'm not getting myself into a Rogichasmagictoes and Callum Davidson situation.

I hope we get Howe but it does * me off that young successful Scottish managers are being overlooked simply because they're Scottish.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

They're not. They're being overlooked because none of them have done anything to suggest they're good enough to manage Celtic.

Nothing Jack Ross has done is his managerial career to this point is exceptional. He did a good job at Alloa and St Mirren. He failed at Sunderland and he's done a decent job at Hibs. Derek McInnes finished second a few times so, going by your system, effectively won the league for them a few times, and he got to numerous cup finals.

Would you take him?

14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    For what its worth, Jack Ross is a better manager than Neil Lennon, Steven Gerrard, John Kennedy etc.

Does that mean I want him in? No, not really.

But it’s important to contextualise his ability as a manager and record.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

:56: ...............Made me laugh.

16. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’m not a hun before you say it, it pains me to say it but Gerrard is a decent manager. Jack ross is not a bad manager but he isn’t better than gerrard. Look at Gerrard’s european record. It will take some rebuild for eddy howe to put him back in 2nd where he belongs.

17. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    That Michael Beale fella maybe, aye.

Steven Gerrard doesn’t have the intellect to be a good manager. 1 trophy in 9. Fair chance that Jack Ross will end up with two trophies in the same timeframe that Slippy has been at the Huns.

Gerrard certainly not been the mastermind behind their season this year...no chance

mayo likes this.
  18. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    McInnes has been a good manager. Who knows how he would have done at a club like Celtic when he was at his peak. I wouldn't take him now.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    rudebhoy67 likes this.
  19. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Could say the same for Jack Ross, could easily be his assistant.

20. SuperZidane

Absolutely - the only way that I can (just about) tolerate this is if deals are already agreed with Howe and the relevant staff from Bournemouth - and we are ready to announce the full backroom team on either Mon 24th or Mon 31st May (depending how they go in the playoffs).

However, if we are actually waiting to see how they fare in the playoffs before trying to sign up coaches and/or players- I truly despair.