1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How much will it cost to fix this mess?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 3, 2021.

Discuss How much will it cost to fix this mess? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yeah never thought about their contract situations..

2. The Dude

It is so disappointing. There is a ridiculous amount of talent out of contract this summer.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Meh.

I'd be astonished tbh.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Agreed.

Hes * rotten.

5. The Dude

Jullien and Forrest are out of contract in the summer of 2023, so we need to address their contract situations.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It would be interesting to do an 11 of player's we've missed out on in the last 2 year alone that would've eased this rebuild and helped this season..

Toney and McGinn are monumental misses..

We've been so slow and weak in the middle with no power. He brings all of that and has leadership qualities. Toney is rapid, strong and scores for fun..

Can't remember all off my head but must be a few who've been at Celtic Park like Rekeem Harper and it hasn't happened..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  7. Onefootwonder

I don't think it's as bad as the wholesale changes that people are saying.

We've had a really bad season. It's really tough to take and it's hard to explain why just about every player in the squad has dropped of the edge of a cliff for form. Our players haven't been fit and lacked commitment all season long.

The amount of stupid unforced errors we've made this season just isn't normal. It's hard to understand.

I look back at when Rodgers took over. He turned players that a lot of us had written off into really good players. We know the players in our squad are good. We just need a good manager to sort a few of them out rather than needing a whole new squad.

Serious cash still needs to be spent for the positions we really need. We need to stop taking so many risks on raw talents from poor football league. We also need to stop loaning so many players. Buy the right players.

8. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We need to spend 70-80mil minimum, I think we will pull in about 60mil in sales so it will be a net spend of 10-20mil

keeper. 7m
    R/back. 3m
    L/back. 3m
    C/Def x 2. 10m
    Def/Mid 5m
    Att Mid x2. 15m
    R/wing 2nd 4m
    L/Wing X 2. 8m
    Striker X 2 25m

total. 80m

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Dude, practically everyone bar Johnston is out of contract by then.
    Miley is till 2024.

Let's just fix the current season issues out before we fantasies about what happens 2 years down the line.

Plenty time for renewals or new players to come in next Jan, next summer, following Jan...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    :56:

11. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't often post on here but always on reading! Some of the posts in this thread are a bit mental. Last year you seen a lot of people saying Edouard shouldn't be sold for less than £35/40 mil, in his worst season with us probably, he is still the leagues top scorer and is worth at least £20 mil. 17 goals in 29 league games for a bad season is still great!

Our biggest problem has been the coaching, or lack of. Look at the structure Rodgers had when in charge, we knew exactly how we were playing the players knew what they were doing and we had a style. The training standards were obviously high and it shows the difference between a top coach and an average? coach.

Lennon feels like it was more I trust the players they are professional and know how to play football, let's have a laugh and enjoy ourselves and not have a style of how to play and let the training standards drop. And it shows, 13 of the current first team have won a league title with us. You don't become bad players overnight, it takes time for it to gradually decline to the point it has.

Rangers, yes they are having a great season, but I don't think they are really that far away from us and with the proper coach and structure we could win the league back next season. They've been put out the cups by weaker sides, they just haven't really had any pressure in the league to deal with

This is what I would do.

Looking at our current squad (from the website):

Barkas - I would give a chance but also sign another keeper
    Bain - sell, really don't rate him, he can't catch and when he palms/saves it is normally a perfect setup for the opposition
    Hazard - loan out and get experience, look at Aidan McAdams at Morton this year, Hazard was rated much higher than him

Jullien - keep, first choice cb
    Taylor - keep as a back up left back
    Duffy - thank * he is gone
    Kenny - same as Duffy
    Ajer - probably away so assuming he will be sold
    Ralston - sell
    Welsh - backup/loan out for experience
    Laxalt - end of loan
    Bitton - sell, he's been stealing a wage for a long time imo, doesn't suit our style of play or Scottish football

Brown - gone
    Soro - keep
    Turnbull - keep, one of the only players who have been consistently good
    Christie - sell, I just don't think he wants to be here
    Rogic - sell, great technical player but doesn't do enough and we can't afford to have that
    Johnston - keep as backup left mid
    Elyounoussi - end of loan would be surprised to see him back
    McGregor - I don't know... I'd consider selling but he is normally a great consistent player.
    Forrest - keep first choice rw/rm

Griffiths - sell
    Ajeti - give a chance
    Edouard - probably away, so assume he is sold

Out on loan (first team website):

Hendry - sell
    Bolingoli - sell
    Ntcham - sell
    Connell - give a chance
    Henderson - give a chance
    Shved - still think there is a player there and would give him a chance
    Bayo - sell

That would leave us with:

Barkas

Jullien, Taylor, Welsh

Soro, Turnbull, Johnston, McGregor (maybe), Forrest, Shved

Ajeti

I'd give the young players a chance over the summer, Karamoko, O'Connor, Hjelde, Robertson and anyone else who looks like they have done well on loan.

It leaves us with a huge rebuild job, which we all expect as most of the players are away at the end of the season, but it is a complete fresh start and in a way I prefer it as the new manager will have no excuses for not building their own team or having players that suit there style.

I don't know or care how much we spend, as long as the manager is backed to get the players he wants, whether it is £15 mil or £50 mil to get the right signings. Our best signings have normally been quite cheap, it's getting the right players that is more important than the fee.

I also think we will have a good bit of funds available from the wages of players leaving and the sales already made with the ones coming the summer, there should be atleast £30mil available for a new manager. Would love to know what the wage bill will be at the start of the new season considering it was reportedly £60mil a season under Rodgers.

Dublin Celt and Fontaine like this.
  12. The Dude

How has allowing our best/most valuable players to enter the final year of their contracts worked out this summer?

We are set to lose most of our team, and those players are now collectively worth tens of millions of pounds less than they were with two years remaining on their contracts.

We need to address their contract situations by the autumn at the latest. It is the furthest thing from 'fantasy': it is how well-run football clubs operate.

13. Mr. Slippyfist

What in the name a * have you been smoking lad?

Peej likes this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    * poor management that we have let ajer and Édouard get to this stage
    But we aren't even in to the summer yet for those two, let alone talking about people who's contract run out in 2023.

Most players contracts are only 3-4 years, how far in advance do you expect us to renew deals? 6 months in to them?

Let's sort out this summer first, then come November or December we can sit down with other players who still have 19months on their deal to then get them sorted.

15. The Dude

Our business model is based heavily on extracting maximum value from player sales, which means selling players before their contract situations begin to negatively impact their valuations.

We should have sold Ajer and Édouard and replaced them last summer when their value was highest. You recognise that that course of action would have been the most sensible one, so why does the suggestion that we view the contract situations of other valuable players similarly seem so outlandish to you?

What happens if we begin contract negotiations with Jullien and Forrest in the winter, and we are unable to reach an agreement by the spring? We are forced to sell two starters in the summer for cut-price fees or let them run down their contracts. Does that sound familiar? It should.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  16. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    It all depends on what you buy. I’d rather punt 700k on a McDonald than 5 million on a Ajeti. I know it’s different eras but the point I’m trying to make is sometimes buying a player you know would do a job over someone that’s come in and contributed virtually nil to the season.

There are good players out there of Celtic class, just seams both the fans and board would rather either buy players with exotic names or pinch pennies to get targets that are well within our scope but we lose them because the stupid and ludicrous offers they throw out. (McGinn being one but a few) if we paid the money to start we would have had an excellent player, but nah we will sign eboue and never play him, we’ve got plenty of cash to * away like that eh.

17. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Spend on a manager and we can save on players.

Plenty of player out there for £2million(what we paid for Soro) would walk into our team.

18. murphy88

Have we done the money cheat from LMA Manager 2003?

Peej likes this.
  19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Our starting 11 and indeed our squad will be unrecognisable from this seasons so naturally money is going to have to be spent, how much will be dictated by the sales of the likes of Eddy, Ajer, Christie and if we can make money back on the likes of Barkas.

Rather than focusing on a figure though we should be looking at being creative and smart as we have been in the past and bringing in better quality who are on an upward development curve like your VVD’s, Dembele’s, Frimpong’s etc…

You’d like to think if it is Howe he’d want a couple of trusted ex players or guys he has contacts with in the door and quickly as most managers do, then it’ll be a case of filling in the squad gaps from there.

Whoever it is has an almighty task to complete in a very short space of time, which is shortening by the day.

20. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

???