1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How much will it cost to fix this mess?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 3, 2021.

Discuss How much will it cost to fix this mess? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Barkas*
    Right Back, Welsh, Julien, Taylor
    Forrest, Turnbull, McGregor, Mikey
    Ajeti, Striker

Keeper
    Right Back, Center Back, Hjelde*, Left Back
    Dembele, Soro, Shaw, Left Winger
    Striker, Striker​

Honestly, not even sure we will have the benefit of Barkas (with hopes of new coaching brings him on) or Hjelde hype being at the level we need him next season, yet.

If Barkas does come on to his game, then the keeper position is likely to be a free signing to play backup/push him on a bit.
    Right back we need two of, combined £5million likely to bring one in, another £2million on left back as well.
    £10million combined on two immediate CB.
    Midfield we are weak, I would expect another one in, but expect it would be a bosman as well.
    Wingers, we need to spend money on bringing in Ely, or an equivelant that would mirror him or Sinclair in calibre (expected calibre), another £4-6million
    Strikers, at least 2 more, ideally one would be to take the mantel of the Edouard/Dembele void and another perhaps with lesser expectation - but scouting deems he actually will be decent this time. Another £10mill combined.

The rest could be argued from the youth setup likes of Connel, O'Connor, Okoflex, Henderson, Robertson, Doohan.

Total, we need to spend around £30-35million to get this squad back on track.
    Ajer, Edouard, Christie, Ntcham, Bayo, Shved, Hendry, Bitton, RRogic*, Boli, Bain, Ralston could bring us in £35million + if we do it right, so for me no excuses.

Rogic I would actually keep to be fair, My assumption is we will go to a 442 under Howe, but chances are more of a 433 or 4231 will be utilised as well, so Rogic and Turnbull taking the AM position would be ideal.

Combine the outgoing above along with Brown, Duffy, Laxalt, Kenny and Ely we will be saving circa £220-250k a week in wages as well.
    Assuming we need 8 new players at least, they could all be on a decent wage as well. This does not need to be basement dwellers on £8k a week. We can go out and spend the required £35million and offer £15-25k a week to each player (who deserves it).

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We threw good money at a bad manager, never a good idea.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It depends..

I think in this climate there'll be a lot of potential bargains, out of contracts and pre contracts available..

Hypothetically we could announce Howe and he has already earmarked

Smith, Cook, Stanislas and Josh King (all coming to the end of their contracts i think)

That's 3 to 4 potential starter's straight away and no fee's..

New keeper

Smith
    Cook
    Ajer (if we can get him on a new deal)
    New left back

New sitting midfielder
    Turnbull
    McGregor (although I'd punt)

Forrest
    King
    Stanislas

I know this isn't gonna have everyone salivating and shouting from the roof top's. It'll be a lot different to this anyway I'm sure but, it already looks a decent side in my opinion..

I'd like to see us spend big on
    A dominant midfielder
    A 10/playmaker/inverted winger type
    A striker
    A centre half

Right down the spine of the team..

Think we could work out deals and get value for money/bargains in the fullback area's, wingers and keeper position's..

A lot of pace needed in this side..

3 out of the 4 Bournemouth lot would instantly bring that..

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  4. JamesM09

Yeah I agree. Of course some signings simply won't work out, but I would categorise differently signings like Pukki, Ajeti vs. Bangura, Balde, Bayo, Klimala etc.

Good players not working out I can understand (although obviously should also be minimised), but some of the out-and-out duds we've signed has been ridiculous. Sack-worthy for Lawwell IMO.

5. JamesM09

Plenty of quality in the Eastern European market too that doesn't cost the world. Problem is you need to scout it correctly and we don't.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    This is it. There is so many that even our general punters on here can pick out and know are available for pre contracts/small fee's..

By all account's we've bid for 1 or 2 player's. A centre half from Croatia recently and was it Magdy the 10 from Egypt as well as other's....so it is possible we're already at work. I think we will be to an extent..

We've a lot of big wages coming off the book's and a lot of fee's that'll be coming in. There's no excuses..

Why can't we go and sign Lovric as a left winger
    Gyrano Kerk as a right winger who is blistering and play across all 3 position's
    Vuskovic at centre half

We can and have been linked with all 3. Even bid for Kerk a couple of deadline's ago..

With the exception of Kerk possibly, they wouldn't be priced up too badly..

Whether we will, who knows..

JamesM09 and Peej like this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Keepers coming out of contract this summer, excusing the obvious no hopes in Donnarumma, Rui Silva and the likes, then why can't we be asking the question of guys like Begovic, Romero, Adrian, Milinkovic-Savic ? Players that wage wise will not be out of our range and with the right setup/responsibilities would help us as much as we could help them.

CB, Musacchio, Fernandez, Caulker, Bartley, Mangala, Ruiz

RB, SMith, Clyne, Passlack

LB, Jetro Willems, Rose, van Aanholt

Cm, Grenier, Wilshere, Gauld

Not hard to find a few players out of contract that even if they do demand high wages, we should be at least asking the questions of them. Not saying everyone of the above will fit in or do great, but there are experienced players out there that would more than do a turn for us on a free contract.

8. CountyDownFaithful

From player sales alone we should have a decent kitty for building a new squad:

Ajer - £12m
    Edouard - £15m
    Christie - £5m
    Frimpong - £11m
    Elhamed - £2m
    Klimala - £3.5m
    Hendry - £1.5m

That’s £40m and could increase if we sell Barkas, Ajeti, Bitton, Rogic etc.

Wage bill will be significantly lowered with the above players sold and Brown, Duffy, Laxalt, Kenny and Moi all gone.

I’d like to see all of this cash reinvested in the management and first team squad - any operational shortfall should be covered by Desmond himself.

9. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Surely we are getting more than 15 million for Eddy? I know he's a lazy moody * and had a shocker of a season for us but isn't he still performing for the French unders? Only 4 million more than we got for Frimpong? Not having that.. we will get 20 I'd say

10. The Dude

Out of contract:

Kenny
    Duffy
    Laxalt
    Brown
    Dembélé
    Elyounoussi
    Griffiths

For sale:

Bain
    Barkas
    Ralston
    O'Connor
    Hendry
    Ajer
    Bolingoli
    Taylor
    Bitton
    Christie
    Ntcham
    Shved
    Rogić
    Ajeti
    Bayo
    Édouard

Loan or release all of the youth academy players who have failed to make the grade.

That should free up wages.

How much will we raise in players sales? £30m? We will see half of that if we are lucky.

We will need a couple of players from the reserve squad and youth academy to make the step up next season, so that we can allocate resources elsewhere. Hjelde and Connell are ready to play a part next season, in my opinion. Is Shaw coming straight into the first-team squad?

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  11. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

One things for sure, we can't be doing the bulk of our shopping in England, which is what I fear Howe would do. We need maximum bang for our buck, that doesn't come in England.

Also wouldn't be keen on howe, if it is him, bringing a bunch of his old players from Bournemouth. Could start another "favourites" culture and Bournemouth continually had one of the worst defensive records over their entire time in the Epl, even when they finished mid table. Plus, players from the lower end of the EPL are by no means guaranteed quality as we have found out recently.

12. CountyDownFaithful

I’m hoping we will get more than £12m for Ajer and more than £15m for Edouard - just being conservative with the estimations.

Frimpong still had 3/4 years on his deal hence the fee for him. Edouard and Ajer only have 12 months and both will be pushing for a move.

thailandceltic likes this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Think it'll be over 40 from that list..

I'd deffo bring Hjelde in. Left sided, versatile centre half who is excelling in our own division..

Connell I agree with..

Shaw will likely be around our first team and can play centre mid or centre back so a squad player..

Would've been nice to see what Montgomery or Moffat etc could do in a couple of game's but these dead rubbers have been too important to Kennedy......

With Broony and the loan's away that'll be at least 100 grand off the wage bill alone you'd imagine..

The new man will be backed and it's at a good time because he will be. There's no excuses..

The Dude likes this.
  14. The Dude

I would be shocked if we did. My gut says that we could raise around £35m if we offload all of the players I listed above.

Bain: -
    Barkas: £1m
    Ralston: -
    O'Connor: -
    Hendry: £2m
    Ajer: £10m
    Bolingoli: £500k
    Taylor: £1m
    Bitton: £500k
    Christie: £3m
    Ntcham: £2m
    Shved: £500k
    Rogić: £1m
    Ajeti: £1m
    Bayo: £500k
    Édouard: £12m

thailandceltic likes this.
  15. The Dude

I am probably being a little bit pessimistic. Hopefully, the market rebounds with supporters close to returning to stadiums (all being well), and we can squeeze a little bit more out of the buying clubs.

I would be happy to take a hit on players like Barkas and Ajeti, rather than loan them out until the end of their contracts, or have them hanging around the training ground doing nothing.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  16. seanm

Lol see another celtic tory director has joined the tory devolution group. We need these scum chased from our club * fast.money wise IF we had spent our money 3 seasons ago we would have killed deadco.now the tory board have to spend serious cash anyway for 1. No manager will touch us without serious dosh. 2. straight into CL group stages and 3.seriously cant see high season ticket renewals imo. BUT if as we all were saying had spent big we wouldnt be where we are now. The only good tory is a dead one and thats not racist thats just the truth. Never felt so low as a celt even through the sack the board days. We need to get organised and start a fightback we are a club not a tory cash cow..that team yesterday can all gtf except ajer whom we will lose anyway .i can see him at liverpool with v v d.be safe people.HH

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    That's some extremely low fee's there..

I know some guy's haven't been a success but 1 mill for Barkas. International that has won titles and played in the champions league and europa. Bee. Dreadful here but I'd be wanting at least double that..

Boli. Iffy and poor moment's but was also decent in other's. 3.5 we paid for him. Id be looking for about 1.5 at least..

Bitton is pish but an Isreali mainstay could easily see a club in his homeland at the very least paying a mill or 2 for him..

Christie for 3 mill if very light. 5 minimum with his contract situation..

Ntcham probably about right 2 or 3 mill but to a poor club as he's fallen off..

Ajeti for 1 mill? Come on :giggle1: We paid 5 and West Ham paid just under 20 was it Basel where he smashed it domestically and in Europe. Swiss International. Be looking for minimum 3.5 for him..

Shved I think we can also get at least a mill for..

Edouard a hard one to call..

Artorias and The Dude like this.
  18. The Dude

Imagine someone pays the reported £10m
    price tag for Hendry. That would be a boon. :giggle1:

seanm likes this.
  19. The Dude

I have no idea, to be honest, man. I would drive most of them to the airport myself, free of charge. :giggle1:

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Impossible to quantify the figure.

All you need to do is look at some of our signings in recent years to see that quality is available for free or low fees (Frimpong £300k) and poor quality available at higher fees if you don't do your homework (Barkas £4.5m)

Due to our arsing about we've missed the boat for pre-contract deals, other than Liam Shaw who the incoming manager might not fancy.

I said in January that if we failed to bring in a new manager & DoF then that we'd struggle next season and i still agree with that.

Expecting Howe to arrive and turn that shower of cowards, has-beens and never--have-beens into a title challenging team is very optimistic.

The Dude likes this.