1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How much will it cost to fix this mess?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 3, 2021.

Discuss How much will it cost to fix this mess? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dmccourt95

This is a key point, first and foremost we should be looking to invest in a proper recruitment team headed up by a DOF to make us more efficient in the long term I think it’s something like only 8 players sold on for a profit since 2010 from what must be well over 80 players signed. Add to that the amount of good players we missed out on due to Lawell pretending to be DOF (Kramaric, Toney, Perraud, McGinn Piccini)

2. Celticbhoy97

50 Million just to get a foot in the door

3. superceltic67

If you think the club will spend more than 15 million you need locked up. We will be lucky to get 25 million from selling players due to contracts only having 1 year left.
    The club will spend 15 million max due to current covid situation.
    I will renew my season ticket but I feel cheated by the club I love. How I didnt receive a free home top for spending £575 for nothing is ridiculous. The board don't care.....

The_Bhoy, Sydneysider and Dublin Celt like this.
  4. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I don't think things are as bad when we get a good coach, dof and structure in place. Under a decent coach we should see a considerable improvement of performance in a lot of places. McGregor Turnbull soro Welsh ajeti Johnson Robertson O'Connor etc should all see a considerable development with good coaching. Maybe even barkas but if we can recoup any of the fee he should he heading back to Greece. We need real quality in a couple positions like goalkeeper, centre half, right back, left back, left wing and striker and then a good few smart young signings. It will be exciting because the problems within the club and the first team squad have been going on a lot longer than this season.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Artorias and Double Dutch like this.
  5. jambo_cfc

A wreckon there will be between 8-10 new signings , 3 or 4 frees , couple of loans an maybe 4 signings

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  6. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Really not sure about a figure, bit I think we're gonna be looking at a few loans, a couple of experienced guys and maybe one or two 'big' signings. The rest are goanny be younger guys coming in to join the ones already here.

I think the big investment has to be in coaching and scouting. We have some talented young lads here that need a great coaching set up. If we get that I don't think a 50m figure is required. It all hinges on the staff we bring in as opposed to big money players.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  7. Foley1888

Our most important signings are going to be the manager and a good recruitment department.

We will have an enforced clear out due to our shambolic transfer dealings of late.

With a £25mish investment which shouldn’t be out the question if we get decent fees for a few players, we could vastly improve the team we have on the park and squad more generally.

The manager is so important to this as we need to be clear in how he wants to play. Given how many players will likely leave he can pick whatever formation he likes as he is basically going to have to recruit the majority of a squad of players. Once that’s set, you then recruit players who fit that mould.

We need to be smart in our dealings there are a lot of good bosman deals out there that would allow us to invest more in other positions given the volume of players we need.

Regardless of what shape we play we need a proper GK, two good CBs, a strong box to box CM and a proper ST capable of leading the line. Whether we need wingers, full backs, wing backs or potentially a combination of these should depend on the shape the manager wants to play.

Artorias likes this.
  8. Mr Diggler

As others have said bringing in some key players even on free transfers could be a start. As I have mentioned a few times Joshua King and Steve Cook are being linked with Eddie Howe- both on a free. There is David Marshall on a free. That's a no brainer. Add a rejuvenated Callum McGregor, a fit James Forrest and David Turnbull to that with a returning Christopher Julien and things begin to look not too bad. A decent spine emerges. Taylor could do a job for a bit. Bring in a right back, exciting left winger and a solid defensive midfielder for good money- proven players and well we could be a real force. Recruitment is going to be key.

Artorias likes this.
  9. JamesM09

First thing is we shouldn't be wasting any more on duds. We're all guilty of letting this slide.

Lawwell should've been chased years ago for how much he's allowed to go to waste. It's bizarrely accepted now that whatever money Celtic has a huge percentage is allowed to go on complete waste.

Lawwell was so * clueless man. The years after he's gone won't be kind to his legacy.

Personally I don't think it will take that much money to sort this vs. how much money we're likely to get selling some players. We need a big investment in infrastructure like a scouting network though. That's probably a multi-year project.

10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Probably more than we will spend.. I'd say we'll over 50 million

11. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Absolute nail on the head. The Celtic coach/management should pay their own wages with European and player development success. Should be bringing in quality over quantity and complementing that with significant improvements in what's here

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Whilst I agree we want no more duds, with the market we operate in thats going to be hard to avoid.

There will be slip ups. Ajeti is 24 years old, 10 times capped for Switzerland with European and title winning experience. Cost £5m and just hasn't happened.

Signings can look good on paper and not work for whatever reason and when you're working in the £1m-8m market you're really having to do your homework. Which we haven't been.

Jordann and Artorias like this.
  13. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Remember under better management this same squad dominated, for me it's more about the manager/couches than a full rip up of the squad

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

Rossmc and Artorias like this.
  14. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Wouldn't give up on a fitter ajeti significantly improving under someone like Howe playing in a 442.

AdamRS likes this.
  15. seanbee01

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    We need to flush out as much dead wood first I would get the manager in right away as soon as games are completed and start the clearout and from there get us the most essential positions first such as RB CB GK DM ST Winger

16. wulliebad

Well if PL is paying for it..4 or 5 million,anyother * that knows about football....40-50 million just to have a team that can function next season but still needs work.

17. StevieBhoooy!

Id forgotten all about that ‘players lounge’...

cas79 likes this.
  18. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Greg Taylor is * mince. Why are people still saying 'he could do a job

* couldnae do a jobbie

Mr Shelby likes this.
  19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Not so much about the money, but more about how it's spent and identifying the right players, making sure they are coached the right way.

cas79 likes this.
  20. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Correct, might get half that if lucky