1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How much will it cost to fix this mess?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 3, 2021.

Discuss How much will it cost to fix this mess? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Now I'm not one for financial speculation, and I'm not gonna pretend that I'm clued up on our finances.

But it's not hard to see we've taken a big financial hit this year, although we're still technically profitable. The next two windows are our most important in * years, and could define our side for the next 4 or 5.

So how much are we talking to fix it this complete and utter * show.

Assuming we balance the wage books with the loanees all returning, Broony gone gives us a fair chunk too, and make a nice chunk from the eventual sales of Eddy and Ajer, maybe even a few quid off Christie... we SHOULD be looking at a kitty of around 30-35M.

But I don't even think that's near enough to the mark.

New goalkeeper... at least 3-5M
    Entire new defence, assuming we keep Julien and Walsh... at least 10, possibly rising to 15.
    TWO new wingers.
    A new centre mid
    TWO new strikers...

I think honestly need about 40-45M to fix this mess.

But realistically can't see us spending anything over 15 odd, 10 odd in the summer, and two or three at Christmas.

I'm interested in ops the more financially clued up on here.
    How much will we have, and how much will we spend?

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    If, for example, Howe comes in, he may be able to tempt the 3 Bournemouth players here on frees.
    That would fill keeper, RB and center half for free. Marshall available from Darby on a free, that would be keeper situation sorted. Just trying to say that not necessarily need to spend big to sort some positions.
    The challenge will be trying to offload from the wage bill, many players who are rank, are just hanging around on easy street, conning a wage with no intention of ever putting in a shift-Nicham, Boli, etc.
    We also have nearly 20 players out on loan, surely a few of those can come in and have an impact-Hjelde, Luka Connell, Lee O'Conner etc. Should be adequate for back up positions.

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

£15-20m.

An amount we are more than capable of spending after what we have recouped. Some miracle happens and we make the champions league via unregistered playeroopholes etc then a bit more.

Two strikers.

2 fast as * wingers who refuse to go backwards at the first sign of another player.

1 tricky dribbler anywhere in midfield to pop by a man and create space.. not pass back.

Brown replacement. Preferably someone who chips in with goals, not sit further back than the defence hampering our attack. Infact thatll make such a difference to our entire team.

Even a cardboard cutout of a proper keeper should do better than current *.

1 CB defender and a couple frees from howe.

£5m on each makes £30m so stretching it a bit, but the defence can be sorted with howes players on frees.

Spend big on a brown that likes to attack instead of floating around in the 6 yard box and it'll transform us more than anyone could have envisaged. Think about it. If he's not back in the defence making us a back 5, he's in midfield leaving less room for * to run about dominating possession against us. Plus from midfield you really should score more than brown does.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    paulo123 likes this.
  4. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

A Billion dollars!

download.jpeg-3.jpg

The_Bhoy, James Mc, Rydo1888* and 5 others like this.
  5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I actually feel over the years we have not made use of getting players in for free and also older players. I can't remember a good freebie signing since Dembele. I'd say we have been a shambles at that. We also have been too busy thinking about how much of a profit could this player make. £2m on a 30 year old if they bring experience in for a couple of years is reasonable, sometimes it doesn't matter if you lose money on a player.
    If we could make use of those the cost rockets down. After money from sales for Frimpong, Ajer, Eddy, Christie, Klimala, Bayo and possibly Shved, Ajeti and Barkas we should have £40 to 50m from sales. If the club refuses to spend £25 m then they have explaining to do. I don't mind loans coming in but we can't have 4 loans in this season where non have an option to buy (I mean only one of them has been good enough but you need to forward plan). If you use loans to buy you can at least spread the cost.

callumrae1967 likes this.
  6. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If you mean winning the league next season then not that much. The thing that was needed (clear from August last year) was a new manager- the big obvious problem that is STILL not addressed. A decent level one would have been able to recover the season. Thats what makes this season all the harder to take. The more worrying thing is will the board make the right decisions, the way they have acted (or not acted) looks like self sabotage it's been that farcical.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Dembele wasn’t a free we had to pay a cross border compensation.

8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    It’s going to take a lot of money to win the league. Saying not much would be a bit naive.

Ajer and Eddy look like they will be out the door this summer and it wouldn’t surprise me if Cal Mac goes as well.

that would leave us with Turnbull, Forrest and Soro and Maybe Welsh who are good enough to start. Big Chris has a long term injury.

We need:

New Keeper
    Centre half
    Right and left backs
    Left winger
    Forward

thats 6 starters we need and I would say we need other squad players to help us compete.

so being modest we would need 10 in at least. Cause most of what we have are * * and not good enough.

Will we sign that many players in the summer? I would be extremely surprised if we did so that’s why I don’t think we will win the league next season due to our shower of * who run the club

James Mc, Artorias and King of Kings like this.
  9. Mr. Slippyfist

I tell ye what, I’d bite your hand off for a left footed winger who is actually a winger.

None of this right-footed inside midfielder pish.

Just a * who will get down the line and whip in crosses.

And obviously some form of CF who is able to get on the end of them.

ladbroke8 likes this.
  10. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    500k bargain. It’s mad that some of our best forwards have been under a million.

James Mc and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  11. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I think we will bring in a fair amount for those leaving bar Christie as we appear to have grossly mismanaged his contract. I think we will spend a decent amount on players to be fair and I think it will be Howe (surely to * there would have been a wee leak by the club to pour cold water in this by now... surely?!) My point is though we wouldn't NEED to, modest signings with a decent manager would work. I know it doesn't seem it as its been a disaster getting beat off them but even yesterday we had loads of chances with 10 men against a supposedly brilliant hun team. I get the worry though as even when things look straightforward our board have done nothing.

12. dmccourt95

Realistically we need two players for every position bar right wing where we need 1, we should be able to bring in between 35-50 for the players that will leave and probably clear about 300k in wages. To save money we will probably get another few loans and freebies so I’m guessing we will spend around 25 mill but in total over the next 2-3 years probably talking 45 mill to get a really good side built

13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Bit a sawdust and we’ll be good tae go.

FrankMcCallum, ladbroke8 and Artorias like this.
  14. oh bhoy

its gonna cost more than we would be willing to spend .how much is two top strikers gonna cost for a start ,id hazard a guess there wouldnt be much change from £20 million. i long to be surprised but im expecting another patch up job .youths and loans

15. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Sometimes it’s not all about the money spent. We’ve spent £2m+ on a heck of a lot of players in recent years who have made zero impact and we have spent less than that on players who have been outstanding. Dembele, Wanyama, Forster, Hooper, VVD, Ki, Rogic, Sinclair, Ajer to name a few were all picked up for probably the same cost as Ajeti, Barkas, Klimala, Bayo, Koussia...

Need to get the manager, staff, scouting bang on and we might not need to spend 10s of millions to get it right. Will obviously need to spend something though and with the amount of players we need it will be at least £20-25m this summer. Sales of Eddy, Ajer, Klimala, Christie will give us the funds to do so. Big summer ahead.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  16. jambo_cfc

Genuinely think the fees from player sales should be enough , sell christie , eddie and ajer , bitton and that 25-30million , if indeed howe does come in i expect we will be linked with smith and cook (rb and cb) good players for scottish football and howe knows them and thats two positions filled , if newcastle are keen on ajer then i would be happy with 6 million plus ryan fraser and i think howe could talk him into coming and would give us the lw we have craved! At lb i would look at doig ats hibs , relatively inexperienced but really good prospect and adds a bit of height at the back also. Would bring in siriki dembele on a free and also his team mate harris who i think would get goals here and would cost about 4-5 million . Marshall i would also bring in for our gk who wouldnt command a big fee and also mccarthy whos available on a free

........................marshall.......................
    Smith.........shaw............cook...........doig
    ...............mccarthy.........mcgregor..........
    Forrest.............. turnbull................fraser
    .........................harris..........................

subs
    Dembele
    Griff
    Ajeti
    Welsh
    Soro
    Johnston
    Barkas

17. Jeffrey

If we sell Eddy, Christie, Ajeti we can do a complete rebuild. A good manager and with some of the talent we already have, we aren’t far away. Deila to Rodgers proved this, as did the huns this year. It’s never far away in scotland.

18. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    We could do it relatively cheaply if we had a decent scouting network in place with a register of players that may be nearing the end of their contracts but knowing how we've been run lately we will have no plan and have to pay over the odds.

19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Impossible to say really.

It’s most similar to the rebuild after Mowbray, where we nailed it out the park with numerous signings and rebuilt a team on the back of the McGeady sale.

Our recent signing record has been terrible though, so I reckon it will take a few windows to fix. The players are out there, and in a lot of cases wouldn’t be particularly expensive. Identifying them is the real challenge.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    £50m.

Defence needs about £25m on it alone. People forget how much money we tend to waste on duds as well.

That £50m assumes that we hit every signing bang on. We need about 12 new players. For starters.