1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad - Who Stays? Who Goes?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jan 24, 2021.

Discuss Squad - Who Stays? Who Goes? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

We need at the very least 13 new players but more realistically we need more.

None of our GKs are even decent, but given the turnover we need bringing in a number 1 in this window is a must.

I am for giving O'Connor a chance as a back up/ rotational right back but we need a strong, Pacey first team player in and the same on the left with Taylor being back up on the left.

We need at least two first team ready CB who can actually defend and don’t get bullied every time a cross comes in our box.

A proper CDM, who again has a presence and actually tracks runners. Similarly a box to box midfielder who can actually carry the ball and tackle.

A right winger to provide competition for Forrest, a first choice left winger with pace and strength who is a genuine goal threat and can actually take men on and commit players.

A playmaker/ number 10 as another option to Turnbull. Preferably someone who has that bit of spark and magic that we sorely miss just now.

Three strikers a proper centre forward who can hold the ball up compete with defenders and link play, able to lead the line and play up top themselves. A proper finisher and goal scorer and a young prospect that can contribute and play against the lower teams in the league and build themselves up for taking over when one of the other two move on.

To fund it sell Barkas, Ajer, Bitton, Ntcham, Christie, Rogic and Edouard to go with the money from Frimpong, Elhamed and Klimala. Possibly Ajeti depending how a new manager feels. Also sell all those out on loan Hendry, Bayo, Boli and possibly Shved.

2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    We are basically * because can anyone realistically see our board filling all these positions? No * chance

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  3. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Firstly, the way in which we've relinquished dominance from a position of relative strength over the course of the last 12 months is really disappointing. People will say the decline started before that, and maybe they're right, but in March of last year we were motoring away with Lennon in charge and Gerrard was arguably starting down the barrel of a gun.

There is a massive rebuild needed at Celtic now. This Summer will show us how serious the decision-makers at the club are about moving things forward. We've got a bit of money in the bank, some sellable assets at the club and that'll still leave us with some decent players for the rebuild and we can't really get much worse, so potential new managers will look at that and fancy the challenge.

We'll have some good technical players at the club next season, but I think we need to complement them with a bit more power, athleticism and aggression - which we've really lacked this year.

Mr. Slippyfist and McChiellini.. like this.
  4. Mr. Slippyfist

Forrest and McGregor (despite opinion) are gonna be crucial to any new build for next season - especially with Brown being away.

We are limited for experience, and these two will be massively needed.

Just Kieran likes this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Has there ever been such a fall from grace considering how dominant we've been in every sense for the last decade? There can't be many that have seen their rival's die and have a fee run at winning the league for year's, Europe/finances, player's, merchandise etc and then collapse like this with zero challenge to mount..

They had a rookie manager under pressure, a whole side of perennial losers and self confessed bottlers, yet they've had their foot down on our throat all season and taken the *..

Our self destruct button has well and truly been hammered..

Incompetence keeping Lennon in. Letting Kennedy take charge. Our recruitment in term's of player's to suit our style and also leaving problem position's totally neglected. Hindsight in keeping want away player's who've downed tool's and soat the dummy..

We need pace and power without a doubt..

We realistically have 1 player who can be a threat at scoring from set pieces and he's out for almost a year injured..

We have loan player's in the starting fullback position's despite bringing in 40 million over the last year or so..

We have an academy player at centre half or a slow sitting midfielder back there to partner Ajer...no one else..

We've played without wingers for over 6 month's because Forrest has been injured and we have no other's. How criminal is that and even in the January window when it was clear Forrest was still out for month's, we had no one lined up on our list for the future to bring in..

This side is criminally slow
    Taylor
    Bitton
    Welsh
    Broony
    Turnbull
    Rogic
    Ajeti
    Christie
    Griffiths

None of them have any kind of blistering pace and Kenny, Duffy, Mo have all been the same..

We need an injection of pace, power and new on-field leadership..

No more wingers up top. Centre mids out wide. Centre mids at the back..

Competition for places and 2 for every position for when injuries inevitably happen during our heavy schedule..

Just Kieran likes this.
  6. Keano88

Ducking out of the line of the ball today aside.

He’s been pretty much the only player that’s looked like they actually give a * all season and with our transfer record lately I don’t trust us to find one decent CB, never mind 2.

7. Mr. Slippyfist

Taylor is like watching a wee wean play. He tried hard, has a good attitude, but when he gets forward and is trying to take a man on it's actually quite embarrassing at times. He has zero skill and is akin to watching someone with gout trying to to Ronaldo stepovers.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye he's painfully slow and weak..

I've went from ripping him to shreds all season to feeling quite sorry for him as it's clear to see he's out his depth..

He was faced up by Kamara early on today and visibly shat it and thought what can I do, then proceeded to kick the ball out infront of him and had it taken off him embarrassingly so..

He barely ever picks out a man either in the final third..

I guarantee of Howe comes in, Taylor will never start for us..

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye. Taylor literally bounced off of Kamara. Who is about 5'8.

If/WHEN Howe comes in, hopefully he tries to bring Diego Rico with him.

10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I'd be very surprised if McGregor hangs around

11. Mr. Slippyfist

I hope he does.

I want to see him under a manager who can actually manage. He was exceptional under Rodgers.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Exactly..

Don't know much about Rico but he'd instantly be better than Taylor..

Just seen your other post on McGregor. I'd * that wee * out the door this summer. He disgusts me man. All year he's been a disgrace..

13. Mr. Slippyfist

Mate, the whole team has been a disgrace this season. Players EVERY ONE OF THEM need to be held accountable for their part in it.

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I think his head is elsewhere mate..

15. Mr. Slippyfist

I dunno. Maybe.

I just think there is zero confidence around this squad, and has been so since basically the start of the season. It just needs a spark to reignite it.

16. Lewis Kerr

That Kamara incident was something I noticed too, was so so poor. Like playing against your wee nephew in the garden or something.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    No question but I see a few who are standing out most week's..

Ajer
    Turnbull
    Soro when played
    Welsh

Those 4 can hold their head's high for the effort they've put in when all around have crumbled and hid..

I've watched McGregor back out of every tackle in the last game in the cup and go hiding. Then today go in for nothing challenges and give the ref a decision in what, 2 or 3 minute's after the first?

He's done this all season and long and hasn't been shy in post match interviews throwing tactics and other's under the bus. Going forward he's done nothing..

This is supposed to be our future successor to Broony, knowing full well that a new boss is probably already watching him/us and this is what he's mustering up. Nah, no for me..

I'm done with him. The tranny can come up and take him anytime he likes..

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It was how my boy would face me up and he's 8. He knows he's gonna struggle getting round me (although I mostly let him :giggle1:) but you knew he'd lose it as soon as he stuttered..

It's so painful to watch..

bagforlife and Lewis Kerr like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Need about 15 players and at least £50m investment.

Which is mad to be in this situation tbh. The standards across the board have fallen so low.

Its hard to say what are to focus on because we need improvement in every part of the field.

We are criminally slow, predictable and weak. So much work to do and if I'm being honest would be astonished if we win the league next season.

20. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Keep: Soro, Turnbull, McGregor, Welsh, Ajer (if he wants to), Jullien, Ajeti (just to see what he can do), Connell, Forrest, Mikey, Bitton, Hazard, Taylor (as back up maybe)

Punt: the rest