1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

With the start of European Super League should we join the EPL if the big 6 leave

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by richie87, Apr 20, 2021.

Discuss With the start of European Super League should we join the EPL if the big 6 leave in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

1 bazillion percent yes I would move to a league which would give us the opportunity to realise our full potential.

Rendog likes this.
  2. ladbroke8

I would do anything to break the boredom of playing the same teams 4 or 5 times a season

3. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    If everyone was given a fair crack if the whip and money dished out properly a lot more teams could do better.

Football and commercial sport is pretty much *.
    And as much as I'd love to get it up the might teams down south it just wouldn't be the same.
    Hate the soulessness of football

4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I don’t see it happening myself but if it was offered I would want the club to go.

Scotland doesn’t give a * about us, that’s been highlighted even more this season.

The other teams don’t want us to have a colt side either so * them all.

plus we would have a chance to get rid of that * DD because we would be very appealing to investors because of our brand, fans and history.

5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

far too many clubs in scotland, years past when the only sport to watch was football and when we had large industry in scotland the wee clubs were getting packed stadiums, the only clubs in scotland that get packed stadiums are celtic, sevco, hibs and hearts they get full houses when playing each other us or the huns but rarely at other times

i dont know how clubs survive with a few hundred to a couple of thousand fans going to the games, instead of 40 teams scotands pro league could manage maybe 20 full time proffesional clubs that could achieve full capacity stadiums, but it would take clubs going bust or clubs joining together to create regional teams. which the small amount of fans that support them will fight against as it means joining with their local rivals

sadly that leaves me actually wanting these tiny supported clubs to die

Gurru 991 likes this.
  6. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Im seriously done with football this season!...
    This * better not come about

7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    The longer we stay in Scotland the further we will decline I think...

I originally voted no, stay in Scotland more for our identity than football reasons. The more I think about it how long can we survive and compete in Europe while playing in Scotland?

The decline even from the MON years is frightening and its only going to get worse. Football landscape is changing everyday and we are getting left behind. Is moving to a British super league the answer, I'm not sure but staying in this league isn't, just my thoughts

made in ireland and Paradise88 like this.
  8. Gurru 991

I got my * kicked for suggesting this in another forum but Celtic & Rangers keeping the league alive really doesn't help anyone & hampers both from moving ahead.
    Competing against clubs with massive TV money & sponsorship is a no win situation & losing players to richer clubs every year is soul destroying.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    100% no for me. This would make us as bad as them (those super league clubs). We should remain loyal to our fanbase and to the league in which we have existed since our formation.

The emphasis should be on improving the standard of the SPL as a whole. To creating a better, more appealing brand of football and making this just as accessible to our fans.

To do this, i think we should set the example set in Holland where PSV, Feyenoord and Ajax have agreed to give 10% of the revenue obtained through european football to the rest of the clibs in holland. It isnt much, but its a start.

We need to put self interest aside and give back more financially to the smaller teams. which i dont think will happen, but i think it will benefit the greater good.

Scottish football took a bad financial hit with the collapse of setanta, and now again when things were on the up by the pandemic, as a new improved tv deal was imminent.
    We need to keep trying to improve the brand across the scottish league which will only benefit us.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

...and by full potential you mean another soulless cash cow for someone to take the * out of.

Long-term Celtic fans being priced out of the games and supplanted with day trippers complete with smartphones at every opportunity.

Corporatism is the disease that's destroying football. That's seen the working-class support who built up the game no longer able to attend. Decisions like last Sunday night's taken with zero regard to what supporters think.

It might feel like a case of 'if you can't beat them, join them' but in my opinion that's not how we overcome this.

Withdraw your participation. Without your time and money invested in it, it won't continue in the long run. The fact some are jumping to come out of it shows just how fragile it is.

Football will end up like the NFL mk II, if people don't collectivise against this.

rickyroma25 likes this.
  11. shieldsybhoy

Nope - would much rather money was distributed equitably across all leagues in Europe and the quality of the product in each league was based on coaching, youth development, fan engagement, grassroots work etc rather than who can get the biggest TV deal or who has been bought over by a billionaire.

Also, please can UK media outlets stop lumping Celtic & Rangers together.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Nah, win the Champions League ‘n that.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Champions League is pish anawl :34:

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That’s where the basis of our opinion differs so...

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough.

IMO the Champions League/UEFA Cup used to be a great competition til the Abramovich money turned football on its head. Proper 2-legged ties against the likes of Valencia, Villarreal, Stuttgart. These days it's dull as *.

Format changed to group stages to avoid the upsets and favour the big teams. Same teams in the latter stages every year. Tedious.

Celtic is more than just a potshot at a Champions League in my opinion. We're a people and a cause, as Tommy profoundly said. You lose all that if you sell your soul just to suck on the Sky TV money teet.

The stands of the EPL are dead now.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I get all the romantic stuff, I’ve been brought up with it since I was born. Would never want that to dissipate.

Going to the ends of your views though we wouldn’t even be playing in the SPFL, we’re already ‘sucking on the SKY TV teet’.

Multimedia revenues are the only way to compete and whilst I get we have charitable aims and a family ethos, we are a football club playing competitive sport - our aim is to win. Arguably just as big a pillar of our existence.

martin_d likes this.
  17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed I do not see it happening myself either. I also would agree with you that I would go for it in the unlikely event it did happen with the clear anti Celtic bias from the sfa being right up there in my thinking as to why.

bhoy81 likes this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We're getting a handout from the SPFL from Sky aye but if it disappeared tomorrow it would make a completely negligible difference to our finances overall. These clubs like Burnley, Fulham etc. would go under within 6 months.

The inflation of the EPL isn't just bad for us in Scotland but all across the globe. Massive Euro clubs like Ajax, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon etc. all buggered trying to compete.

Maybe it's idealistic of me but I don't want us anywhere being a part of that. If fans in these countries withdraw their participation, profits slide and the money is no longer there to artificially pump it up.

Celtic is way more than just a football club to people in these parts and as one of the most poverty-stricken areas in the UK, a massive swathe of our support would be completely priced out of the game if we ever moved to the EPL.

I guess it's all how you weight up the costs v the benefits but if you're asking me would I be willing to price them out, lose the soul of our support like every other EPL club, in the off-chance that we might win a Champions League then it's a huge no for me.

rickyroma25 and martin_d like this.
  19. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I'd be quite torn, my biggest worry being that the soul would be torn out of the club and Celtic Park become a library like Old Trafford.

I certainly think it would price many out. They'd realistically have to extend the main stand to accommodate another 15,000 to 20,000 people as tickets would be in such high demand.

Learning towards no, but I'd be lying if I said the idea didn't intrigue me.

20. davidhannah

They could stop it being a library by capping ticket prices at £16-20 quid for home games. Extending rail seating. And having the cheapest season tickets in the Premier League. We could use the other £100 million generated to fund the team. And eventually increase the stadium. If we left.

At the moment ticket prices are disgustingly high for the Scottish game £29 for a home game. Its already turning into a library and the cut in allocation for old firm games destroyed the Derby edge. Once lockdown is over I'm just desperate to go and see a game of football, and for the match day experience. I'll go anywhere.