1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    He was pictured in Dubai downing pints by the pool.

There's no doubt this has been going on a long time.

I feel for anyone who has a problem with alcohol, or any substance for that matter, but my sympathy does not extend to putting them into a high pressurised job they are not qualified for.

We're reaping the harvest of that reprehensible decision to give Lennon the job in May 2019.

We went from being an elite, all-conquering football club to an amateurish jobs-for-the-Bhoys outfit.

All entirely predictable and entirely avoidable.

2. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Exactly, an absolutely monumental * up by the people in charge of the club....it beggars belief what their train of thought was and still is.....I don't think I've ever witnessed anything so unprofessional by a bunch of supposedly high end businessmen.

How that fat vile looking toad could sit there today at Ibrox with a clear conscience is beyond me....I have no words.

3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Feature interview in the Times today.

* if I’m posting it. The delusion and arrogance remains. Sadly I have a genuine dislike for the man at this stage.

4. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    EDIT

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Former Celtic manager Neil Lennon admits his final season was "joyless" as he hit out at at a "new breed" of fan who protested furiously.

The season started with the Parkhead club going for 10 Premiership titles in a row but the season quickly went off the rails.

Celtic's domestic dominance was ended by a meek League Cup defeat to Ross County, sparking angry protests outside the stadium.

Lennon remained in situ until February but walked away after another defeat to the Staggies and Rangers officially wrapped up the title just weeks later.

Things had turned toxic by the end of the Irishman's tenure and he admits being hurt and confused by supporter anger.

Lennon told The Times: "Speaking to the players the next day (after the League Cup loss) they were really disturbed and upset by that.

Literally upset by it. That was the first cup defeat in 35/36 games. It was the end of an unbelievable cycle of success and for them to be treated that way was bewildering. They should have been lauded for it rather than abused.

They were getting pelted with missiles. It was very sad. There was a new breed of supporters that I had nothing in common with and who belie the values of the club.

They are the ones that are giving the club a bad name.

"It was definitely a situation like no other. You're going for the tenth title in a row and that was an obsession for the fans, an unhealthy obsession I felt. And we were in the midst of a pandemic where nothing was normal.

So you put that together and there were a lot of things that were out of your control as a manager.

"I had nothing in common with those supporters and the way they treated Dermot and Peter as well, shocking.

"Considering in December we had just finished off another treble, two months later you are out the door.

"The whole thing seemed joyless. There was no credit it for it. It was just 'yeah Celtic have won another treble, move on'. There was a lack of joy around the place and that was really difficult.

You are in the game to enjoy it. It was all about the football but this season football took second place to a lot of things.

"I wouldn't say I was hurt, I was more bewildered by it and the lack of time and the lack of faith that people showed in me.

"It's basically fans I'm referring to more than anything else.

"I can walk away with 21 medals as a player and a manager, the first guy to do the treble as both a player and a manager. If that doesn't mean a lot to other people, it means a lot to me."

Some have suggested that Lennon is a man out of time, with old school methods not suited to the modern game.

But the Celtic legend insists nothing could be further from the truth as he offered a vigorous defence of his record.

Lennon said: "People say 'he's not that good' or 'he's a dinosaur'. A dinosaur at 49 is strange. Eighteen months ago I beat Lazio in Rome, the first Celtic manager to do that.

"It's about changing the public's perception but then again it's not really their perception I want to change it's the owner, chairman or chief executive of a club.

Does it grate on me? Of course it does. It's just absolute nonsense. I'd just won a treble so if I'm a dinosaur what does that make all the rest? It's not like we played route one football.

"We were flexible with changes, we could play a diamond or a back three or 4-3-3, I had young coaches like John Kennedy, Damien Duff and Gavin Strachan who were very forward thinking and our coaching methods were all geared for the modern player.

"It's just a throwaway remark that is just completely untrue. Young dinosaur! T-Rex!"

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

* up Neil. Every time he talks he comes across as more of a *.

7. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    He just sounds like a washed up loser who regrets a lot of his own decisions in the job by saying all that garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wee Baldy likes this.
  8. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

In the past year I've went from liking him albeit not wanting him to being the manager, feeling sorry for him, disliking his arrogance and attitude..... to full on hating the man.

Always everybody else to blame.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He’s right about one thing. He has nothing in common with Celtic fans because we want what’s best for Celtic.

He only cares about himself.

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Still not recognising his own faults? "Out of my control" - yeah we could all tell you weren't in control of much at all. The reason he will never achieve anything outwith Celtic is he doesn't think he needs to improve or develop. * him.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Imagine us fans wanting to win 10 in a row and expecting our team to put up a decent fight. All that time we should really have been paying tribute to Lenny for all he achieved at the club.
    Totally delusional and should have been punted long before he was.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Deflect deflect deflect. Shut the * up you clown.

13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

The first guy to do this and the first guy to do that. Very good Neil, heres a gold star ya * wit.

Keano88, Rydo1888*, Valhalla and 4 others like this.
  14. Lennon1888

Joyless.. Your * right it was

15. Celticbhoy97

Get too * you fat ginger *.... hope * no * gives the waste of breath the time of day if he ever comes back to Celtic Park....

Just when tempers were dying down for a bit.... needed a few more beer tokens did you Lennon? *

Wee Baldy, Artorias and seanm like this.
  16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Ooft. What a *.

17. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    * *, still blaming every * else, he was the problem with how we were playing no-one else but him and the lack of responsibility is a * joke

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Ask yourself Neil, since there was no fans allowed, why was it joyless?

Utter * of a man these days.
    .no responsibility and all the entitlement in the world.
    And he's a cheek to call the fans entitled.

That's us being told we are worthless, not needed, entitled, out of touch, obsessed with winning a title.

Does he even understand the * sport, let alone the history of this club?

Never thought it would ever come to this, but Neil Lennon really can just * off. I'd love never to read or hear another word from this man ever again.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

19. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    He’s always had disdain for the fans. Just remember that game against the worst AC Milan side in history in 2013.

Milan embarrassed us big time and he deflected his whole media interviews to the Bobby Sands/Willie Wallace tifo by the Green Brigade.

20. JamesM09

I feel bad for the people that came on here defending the guy. Tried to tell them he was a self-serving * but they can’t see past the teary-eyed sentiment.

“Lenny will be hurting more than us.. “

Hmm, seems he never really rated the 10 that much after all. Seen it as an ‘obsession’ for the fans that he was essentially entitled to lose because he’s super-Lennon.

I wonder if anyone on the forum predicted that attitude?

The_Bhoy, Keano88, Rydo1888* and 6 others like this.