1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Didn’t think I’d need to qualify it was an exaggeration :37:

A goal every 120 mins this season.. our most potent scorer.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Why are people still saying this after all these years? He has 25 league goals in his last 4 seasons (75 games).

For the last couple seasons, whenever he steps on the pitch he’s likely to be called offside half a dozen times, give the ball away under little pressure regularly and be blowing out his * after 25 minutes.

3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Needs punted ASAP. Won't be on small wages either. Lack of professionalism this year has been a disgrace and I still think he looks overweight and unfit. Been a great servant for the club but we both need a change of direction.

martin_d likes this.
  4. Al Bootyerbaws

Even though Griffiths has won plenty trophies with us he should have done so much better individually given how talented he is. If he couldn't get fit and be up for having a right good go at doing the 10 at the start of last season then he will have zero motivation next season. Time to go.

The Dude and martin_d like this.
  5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I was referring to his form this season. It’s some of the best football he’s played for us but we’ve only seen him for snippets. There’s obviously huge underlying problems with Leigh that keep creeping to the surface so maybe it’s best to cut our losses. My point was simply that he has scored a goal every 120 mins played this season which isn’t to be sniffed at. Some of those were crucial (at the time) late goals too.

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Maybe my memory is just * but really?

I feel like I can barely remember a thing he’s done for us this season, other than the late goal against St Johnstone at the start of the season.

Doogs. and Valhalla like this.
  7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Definitely one to let go, for me.

Unreliable and unfit. Turning up to pursue the 10 in the condition he was in was a massive slap in the face to the fans and back room staff who have backed him to the hilt time and time again.

8. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

He can definitely score out of nowhere, but nowhere is literally doing next to nothing the rest of the game.

I used to back him to the hilt but gave up with him after coming back unfit earlier in the season.

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah I get that. I can see why most have given up on him and on a whole I’ve always said his goals come at the cost of “doing next to nothing for the rest of the game”. A few months ago I said he’d be the first name on the team sheet for me though because he was that dangerous coming off the bench (around the time of the hun game that sealed the league at Christmas).. how different things could’ve been for Leigh if McGregor didn’t get his finger tips to that effort.

Bottom line is I want the new manager whoever that will be to make the decision on Leigh. We would get * all money for a 30 year old with mental health and consistent professionalism problems. Is it worth it just to get him out of the club?
    Maybe.

Doogs. likes this.
  10. TheHappyLoss

So one goal in 3? How many 90 mins?

11. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    He’s the 23rd highest goal scorer in the spl this season, over-rated to *.

12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Aye, as I said, he definitely has that in him. But we should be setting our sights higher than a 30 year old with mental health and professionalism problems.

We’re Celtic, and its about time we dragged ourselves in to the modern game.

martin_d likes this.
  13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He’s also the most potent scorer in the league. Your stat is pretty pointless considering he has barely had a game.

14. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

You’re probably absolutely spot on

Doogs. likes this.
  15. johnnybhoy89

Ultimately a better career than both however Griff has always felt the Riordan or O'connor type where I'm always thinking what could have been.

AdamRS likes this.
  16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No question he has had a decent career but you also feel it could have been so much more given his ability. Anthony Stokes I think is another striker who is similar.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  17. Lewis Kerr

Stokes, Griffiths, Riordan, O'Connor, Watt..

Obviously Griffiths and Stokes achieved much more than the others but if they had the professionalism they would have had far better careers.

18. murphy88

If you had a striker playing regularly with that goal return then you would be delighted. He should have been given a run earlier in the season when he was making an impact from the bench but Lennon's stubbornness meant that was never going to happen. Griffiths let himself and the club down but Lennon cut off his nose to spite his face by then not playing him.

19. wulliebad

One up top nearly all season while three strikers sit on the bench its no wonder three are struggling to make any kind of mark meanwhile eddy gets sold and we start next season with three benched strikers. Even more annoying when * like hit the ball out the ground christy can never be dropped.

20. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Its a factually correct stat though whereas you can’t back up your claim he is the most potent.