1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Many people are saying if Harkin becomes DOF (which is looking very likely) then Maresca is nailed on to become manager.

So Harkin gets DOF because hes a Irish buddy Desmond and Maresca gets the managers position because hes a Man City buddy of Harkin.

It was interesting to hear Jackie McNamara who doesnt normally have particularly strong opinions saying that Maresca winning the under 23 league counts for * ALL when it comes to being the first team manager. Maresca is doing well with the Man City under 23's who are the richest club in the UK and therefore have the best young players. If he is appointed then Desmond had better hope he knows what he's doing because he's going to look like a complete * idiot if he fails. The first thing that will rightly be asked is 'what the * were you thinking hiring an under 23's coach as manager of a club like Celtic'.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Tommy25 and RogicHasMagicToes like this.
  2. celtic warrior

More I think about it, the more I wonder why on earth we'd hire an u23 coach at all.

Especially one that is at one of the most loaded clubs in world football for youth talent becuase they can literally access any market they want for the best young talent as money talks....

If he was the right hand man of Pep, running drills, training players and even on occasion giving Pep tactical advice for games with the senior team, then aye, ok then let's give it a go.

But u23? Nah, we need to be looking elsewhere.

3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree, the fans are left in the dark far too much. Incoming CEO Dominic McKay was apparently heavily involved with public relations in previous roles so im hoping to see a big improvement in that aspect.

Hammy89 likes this.
  4. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

There’s a club in Spain, Barcelona. They gave an untried and untested B team manager (essentially their u23s) the first team job.

It worked out pretty well for them and he’s gone on to have a decent managerial career eh @celtic warrior?

If you identify someone as the right person you bring them in, before someone else does. Maresca will be a first team manager somewhere before too long imo

Pablo87, Foley1888 and littlekennie like this.
  5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Probably 38 grand I would think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Yeh Man City have money but all we need to do is look at their form before maresca came in should give us an inkling if he made them better or not

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Did it for my own curiosity last year they came 8th same number of games this year he came in and their points total has doubled

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I wish these Keane rumours would gtf

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. joemc

Dont see why its funny or embarrassing tbh , it may be embarrassing that you don't think there is a need for this since he is one of our best and most decorated captains and you never hear a bad word from any player regarding him , so for me absolutely nothing embarrassing about this whatsoever.

Tommy25, fms06 and Wee Baldy like this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's mental how many people look down their noses at academy coaches..

Aye they don't always work out but plenty are and more and more are getting the chance at top flight club's straight from academies..

Maresca will definitely be a boss somewhere soon. No question by the sound's of it..

Hammy89 and Bobo_ like this.
  11. joemc

You've just underplayed every achievement he has made as club captain ,well done ,must have been really easy to do 4 trebles in a row .

Tommy25 and Wee Baldy like this.
  12. Foley1888

The Barca example is an extreme one but there are plenty of other ones to Marsch we were talking about was an assistant at Leipzig and had some experience in MLS nothing stellar.

The guy at Stuttgart was a coach at another team not manager he came in and has transformed their fortunes.

Even higher than this Nagelsman when he got the Hoffenheim job had only been a coach.

Maresca would be a risk but having watched a lot of the stuff about Pep anyone deemed good enough to be part of his set up will have something about them. As others have mentioned he seems to have improved performance levels all be it at reserve level football.

In terms of who we get is going to probably come down to one of the usual mob or someone with a bit of risk associated with them.

13. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I'd certainly rather take the chance with Maresca than go with Keane, Clarke, McCarthy etc.

14. john2061

If Desmond appoints Keane then Desmond needs to get to * and this is jobs for my pal situation.
    There would be no ambition in this appointment a guy who's never managed in 10 years a * joke appointment and next season the league winners go straight into the champions League group and this would be handing the zombies 30 million into their bank .

15. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Keane is the only appointment that would make me chuck the season ticket.

16. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Okay so please explain to me what's impressive about doing well with the best run academy in the UK at Man City? Is he punching above his weight? Is he doing anything unexpected? No he's not, he's doing the bare minimum, I want a manager with a track record of punching above their weight so I can get hopeful about Europe again, Maresca doesn't have that.

We're too big a club to be giving managers their first job in senior football.

17. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Considering Man City U23’s have finished 8th, 8th and 6th in the last three seasons, you could argue he is doing something unexpected by running away with the league this season.

As a fan base we have these fanciful notions of being a modern progressive club like a Salzburg/Ajax and then * our pants at the thought of implementing an element of that by appointing an exciting upcoming gaffer.

Your last point is complete horse *, no offence. Maresca has already been first team coach at Sevilla and West Ham. That’s senior football. That’s also likely what his title would be here under a DOF. Pep and Nagellmans are just two names off the top of my head who got their first jobs in senior mgt at big clubs. Straight from youth teams to senior football. We really aren’t ‘too big’ to do something similar

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

As much as I can see why Maresca may excite some people and I can understand why but surely now he is the exact opposite of what we need

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I get the trepidation James, it is a gamble but then anyone we get is a gamble in my opinion..

Howe is maybe the best pedigree wise of the link's we've had but he's definitely still a gamble. Never managed a big club. His recruitment hasn't always been good. Never really won a major honour.....I'd take him but there'd still be doubts on him or anyone like your Clarks etc..

Maresca is a gamble but I think it's one that is worth taking..

He's very very highly rated
    Give it a couple of year's and we probably wouldn't be able to attain him
    Was a good coach before transforming City's 23's where Snodgrass spoke glowingly about his attention to detail on the training ground and how much he rates him
    Has his side playing attacking football the way we like and scoring for fun

If he was to come with Harkins and loads of their backroom staff, I'd welcome it..

I'd go as far as to say he's the one I want in now over the other's..

There's no reason why Maresca and his team can't tap in to the recruitment side, better set us up and improve some of our stagnating/regressed squad..

I think it will be them and we should go for it. Big changes are needed and what's coming anyway..

20. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    There is news coming out that there is now a real chance Roy Keane could be appointed as Celtic manager. Dermot Desmond tried to appoint Keane as manager a few years back and it appears he is still of the opinion Keane would be a excellent Celtic manager, I get the impression Desmond is a Roy Keane 'fan boy' which is very worrying.

To be a top manager these days you have to be tactically brilliant, you have to have a vast knowledge of tactics and all that it encompasses, the game has moved on since Keane's day. If we appoint Keane then we may as well have just kept Neil Lennon because they are cut from the same cloth. It doesnt matter how good you are at motivation, man-management etc if you dont have a in-depth knowledge of footballing tactics you're going to get out-thought and out-played.

When you look at everything that can come under the heading of 'tactics' there's an absolutely huge amount of knowledge, information and experience that would need to be acquired to become a top class manager. We need a manager who immerses himself in the tactical side of the game. Managers like Rangnick, Jesse Marsch and possibly Howe fall into that category, Roy Keane most certainly doesnt.

* help us.