1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Board

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Prof, Oct 26, 2020.

Discuss The Board in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. made in ireland

I think that this absolutely spot on.

murphy88 likes this.
  2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Of course it'll be better, there has been no end of experts on running football Clubs telling us that for years now.
    Seriously though no-one knows but McKay has some bar to reach to match him.

ps Every time I see Quinn's name I always offer up a silent thank you as well.

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. murphy88

McKay also has to deal with the utter mess that has been left by Lennon and Lawwell. He isn't taking over a team capable of reaching a European final like Lawwell did.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He's done well on the commercial & financial side (to a degree) and the surroundings of the stadium but in terms of: succession planning, realisation that CEO paws should be nowhere near footballing decisions, fan engagement and fighting the club's corner against corruption I have no doubts whatsoever we'll do better.

Maybe not in terms of trophy haul but that needs to be seen in context of the huns riding themselves into financial oblivion and leaving us miles in front of the rest.

The fact he then effectively gave the Hun reincarnate a leg up to wipe out a decade's financial and sporting advantage through gross mismanagement is testament to the fact that we can and will do better.

The Dude and Liam Scales like this.
  5. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    The * was shamefully COMPLICIT in the Huns attempt to airbrush out of history what really went down in 2012, with his Old Firm brand pish. Kiss my spotty, hairy *.

Winning trophies 2012 to 2020 was akin to shooting big fish in a tiny barrel. Did * all in Europe as usual

Wee Baldy likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

They ignored Res 12 for years and asked them to give him the "smoking gun", after that was provided under the threat of perjury during the Craig Whyte trial...they still voted against pursuing it and encouraged others to do the same, without ever explaining why.

If you're not open and transparent then people will start to correctly ask why. I wouldn't be surprised to see that it was included in some nefarious backroom deal when the new Huns were granted their application to play in the lower tier.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Indeed, hence why its some bar to reach but, as said, no-one knows therefore claiming different would be almost as absurd as someone claiming it'll be worse.

I like McKay but I wondered why he wanted to leave Rugby, as he seemed to be doing well, then the announcement came about Private equity (PEi's) becoming more involved and that could be one reason, although that may be too late already for football. A PEi's view on football -

"Football offers unrivalled brand loyalty, no chance of defection, predictable and recurring revenues and new ways to leverage value - Private Equities * for European football is here to stay"

I particularly liked the new ways to leverage value ..

8. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Thats a hideous thought but not improbable by any means

9. murphy88

Lawwell played no part in forming the team that took us to the European final mind, he took it over, and look where we are now compared to then. I get that the footballing landscape has changed a lot in that time, but we are now a team that get turned over regularly by far lesser teams than us.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If not that then why else would a CEO advise shareholders to vote against something that detrimentally impacted them financially(Champions League place would've been available to Celtic and with it additional income/exposure) and separately supporters who had seen their club being treated unfairly by the nation's governing body, not for the first time?

It stinks.

11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

I never said he did.
    Yes we regularly got turned over but let's be honest the teams that turned us over, usually, already had a fraction of the budget we had so the whole spending more argument never really convinced me.

theweeman likes this.
  12. murphy88

When we played Maribor we had spent nothing if I remember correctly going into the game, Berget on loan was the only signing. I don't recall us signing anyone going into the AEK games either, even though we were screaming out for a centre half. It's not just as simple as saying we have a bigger budget than other teams, we should always be looking to progress as a team, and Champions League money should allow us to do so, that means backing the manager to bring in fresh faces to give us the best possible opportunity to qualify, we haven't done that.

13. made in ireland

Mental.

The fact that Celtic have been humbled by European minnows who operate on a fraction of our budget over Lawwell’s tenure perfectly reflects just how poorly the corporate management has been at Celtic.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace

I know we can do better mate and you’ve highlighted most of the issues that I have with him.

I’m just less sure on the ‘will’

15. seanm

* tory * red or blue.* them all.HH

Rydo1888* likes this.
  16. seanm

Thats the only reason the board will pump money in next season. CL automatic qualification.best thing that could happen too otherwise they would be spending * all as usual.HH

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Lawwell took over a club that was spending money it didn’t have and within 5 years had us in the latter stages of the CL twice while turning around the books.

That’s impressive.

18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fair.

The doubt comes from the rest of the board's arrogance/incompetence, as they're the ones who opted for McKay. Given they're feeling the heat at the moment, I think they understand the need for change.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Cringer67

This is painfully bang on the money. We are talking £100m in lost revenue. Then look at McGinn. That one will haunt us for years. He would have either stayed with us and become a legend, or sold for £20M+

murphy88 likes this.
  20. murphy88

Now we are European whipping boys. So in his time here we have went from European finalists to European whipping boys, and have went from being on a different planet to the huns to finishing behind them. He was another parasite, and both he and Lennon who he appointed have left us in turmoil.

Gyp Rosetti, Henke102, AdamRS and 2 others like this.