1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We owe him a debt of gratitude for what he's given and what he's achieved for the Club..

Not saying we owe him a coaching role but * are definitely having hard job separating all the good from the calamity of this season...

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I actually don’t mind us having a natural progression from club legend to youth coach.

The key thing for me is that it has to be used to complement an existing, well established framework. It can’t just be a bunch of ex-players and friends of friends cobbled together. By all means get Brown in, but get him in to learn from an established group of youth coaches, rather than just assuming he’s capable because he was a good player.

That’s where I think the Ajax example falls short.

Slaw likes this.
  3. JamesM09

Footballers will always owe supporters more than they could ever possibly repay. They are not owed gratitude for sporting achievements. The millions of pounds and being treated like a * for the duration of their career should suffice.

Honestly I’ve heard ex-pros talk before like they’re owed continued gratitude from supporters and it just doesn’t sit right with me.

You could see it was a poison that had infected Lennon, like his whole life hasn’t been the dream millions would kill for.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye you would. But if he then turns out to be a pish coach then not so much.

Again, you're saying you wouldn't want him near the first team setup but have no problems with him coaching the kids. Getting the right coaches in at academy level is absolutely crucial, particularly for clubs like us who don't usually have millions upon millions to spend on players every year. It shouldn't be a case of "we'll let him coach the kids to see how he does". I know he used to spend time helping to coach the youth players, but that was a few years ago and doesn't seem to be happening any more, for whatever reason.

And your other post about us owing him a debt of gratitude. Of course he's a Celtic great and deserves massive amounts of respect, but it was a similar argument to Lennon. Brown has been well paid at the club and it's not like Larsson where he's turned down moves to huge clubs for big money every other year. He's been a very good player for us and a big part of an incredibly historic period in our history. But we don't owe him anything.

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Wouldn't want him near the first team as we need a fresh start..

And I'm definitely grateful for his service even if some * aren't.

Slaw, Gyp Rosetti and Spring Time like this.
  6. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Another good game the day from the big man.

7. Lewis Kerr

Just seen Mark Noble who turns 34 in May has signed a one year extension for West Ham, revealing to the fans he is leaving next summer. He has about 3 league starts for them this season, most of the time doesn't get off the bench and hasn't been injured.

West Ham are fighting for CL places with their midfield partnership of Rice and Soucek who have been instrumental for them. No room for sentiment at West Ham and it is paying dividends.

The guy is as much of a club legend for them as Brown is here, been at the club for 21 years and has been captain for * knows how long. But they saw an opportunity to respectfully phase him out for the good of the team. Compare that to our situation with Brown.

Just an example of how a proper football club should be run.

bhoy81, martin_d and AdamRS like this.
  8. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Moyes would have exiled Brown in an instant had he took over after Brendan, which 100% would have been the correct decision, a manager with baws, unlike the previous clueless incumbent who wanted to 'build his team around a 34 year old', too weak to make such a decision until it was too late and the damage was done.

martin_d and Breathnach67 like this.
  9. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Let’s have it right too, he’s doubtless a large reason for the drop off in standards and general fitness levels in the team over the course of the last two years along with Lennon. He has previous of it.

martin_d and RogicHasMagicToes like this.
  10. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I said before he was not up to the standard anymore and was causing us to play slow and sitting very deep, transitions from back to front were slow etc etc. But he still had a presence and influence with the team off the field which is why he should have transitioned into a backroom role around that time with limited game time.

RogicHasMagicToes likes this.
  11. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Days off were rare under Brendan, something tells me they became far more frequent under Lennon

12. CountyDownFaithful

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

15. CountyDownFaithful

Hopefully. I want a fresh start for the Club. Brown has been a great servant but time for us to move into a new era now.

Valhalla likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The * :giggle1:

They hate him up there..

Slaw likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He definitely won't be playing for us next season. I knew that..

Thought he'd maybe be part of our coaching or with the academy..

Player assistant for the sheep though? That's crazy..

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  18. Sgt Neppers*

Wow. Talk about coming out of left field. Could be a good first step in his coaching career.

19. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

If that is true then we really are going for it again next year. Sounds like we are willing to change a lot and make a right to at building something special. Early signs are good. With whoever wins the Scottish Prem next year all but guaranteed CL qualification after tonight’s results we have to be back on top.

20. Lewis Kerr

I've not been in the loop. What are the other signs you speak of?