1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Books you've read or are reading

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Kayal, May 28, 2011.

Discuss Books you've read or are reading in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I had not read that last bit but fits in with what a * he has been in terms of getting the series finished and published. As amazing as the books are and they are flat out master pieces the guy is a total * for the way he has treated his readers by not getting his act together and finishing the series. I mean come on its 10 years and counting now since book 5.

As an aside I read another of his books Fevre Dream which is a vampire book and that is excellent as well. It is just a one off stand alone book so at least he got that finished!

2. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    To be honest that was a YouTube comment on a video of him responding to a journalist questioning that he might not have the health to finish the books so take it with a pinch of salt :giggle1: You are very well read Eire. I suspect you may struggle to answer this but what is your favourite fiction book of all time, and what is your favourite non-fiction of all time?

@Slaw I’ll probably look into that money book you posted. Investing is something that has been on the back of my mind for a while now.

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Highly recommend it mate. Also this one is an absolute must read:
    D5D9CA99-60C1-41FA-A6E2-E0F21FB56924.jpeg

Dazza likes this.
  4. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Rich Dad is in the library I’m part of, but Ramsey is not, so maybe I’ll take that out and watch the other guy on YouTube for a bit. Will need to go on the bottom of an ever growing list though....

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

@Dazza these are the types of books that can completely reshape the way you live your life with regards to money. They’ve had a massive impact on my life. Each to their own but I would suggest bumping them up the list a bit.

Dazza likes this.
  6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Dazza,
    It is a hard call to answer for sure. Would be so hard to single out just 1 book in each category so I think the best I can give you would be my top authors. For non fiction I would say Tim Pat Coogan the Irish historian, Naomi Klein the Canadian journalist and social activist and Gerry Adams who or course needs no introduction. For fiction I would go with Morgan Llywelyn for Irish historical fiction, Anne Rice the Irish-American novelist most famous for her vampire series but has so much other great fiction as well and the American Sci-fi author Isaac Asimov. IMHO its hard to go wrong with anything those 6 have written.

Dazza likes this.
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished book 8 of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series Personal Demon. Another fun supernatural thriller type of read with a whole host of different supernaturals involved in this one.

[​IMG]

8. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Read a lot of books recently, maybe too many to fire up here but I finished The Beach today. 5* - one of the best books I've ever read!

[​IMG]

9. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Finished Grit, it was interesting enough, but it's not a self help book like the ones you've posted before @Slaw. It doesn't really tell you how to be gritty, and other than a few interesting stories I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know.

Starting this next which I'm looking forward to
    [​IMG]
    Fair to say I struggle to get out of bed on the morning :giggle1: Just starting back work now though after being off since Christmas so might end up knackered if I follow through.

Also listening to this on audio book
    [​IMG]

Garrymac1888 and Slaw like this.
  10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished John Perkins The Secret history of the American Empire. A follow up to his earlier Confessions of an Economic Hitman. Nothing short of stunning as the author exposes and lays bare the utterly evil foreign policy that the US has largely followed since after World War 2 with the integration of the powerful US multinational corporations alongside the military industrial complex and US Government combining and interfering in so many countries around the globe with the goal of US domination.

[​IMG]

seamus1967 likes this.
  11. Dallas Cowbhoys

381F3964-B2FF-48EB-88C4-C8B3DB7D2C73.jpeg

Not a fan of this kind of music but this was a very good read, interesting and pretty funny in places, complete nutjob.

12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Just ordered this.

8E4BF18B-F69D-42AE-8BED-9C6EFF10607D.jpeg

seanm and seamus1967 like this.
  13. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Spent a couple of weeks in Iten in Kenya, it's called "the home of Champions" like an epicentre for lots of the athletes. Totally intense!

Ended up at a wedding with Mary Keitani and Wilson Kipsang :56:

Dazza likes this.
  14. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Cracked into this today and really enjoying it so far:

24D77527-0C16-4CF5-96D1-2D4BC4843D79.jpeg

15. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Iten is where the author goes. He said it was a town of 4000 people and had 1000 runners :giggle1: The Kenyan domination of running is mental, however they grow up running, dedicate themselves to it because it's one of few viable career paths for many, and they've got fierce competition to push them. Couple that with a low fat diet, lots of role models and the high altitudes then it's no wonder they win everything.

I wouldn't recommend the 5 am club. It's a non-fiction self improvement book, but it's told through a fiction story. Unfortunately the information ends up forced in and takes away from the story, and the story gets in the way of the information. Ended up just skimming through most of it, would have much preferred it was just a normal self improvement book.

Went with this next
    [​IMG]

Garrymac1888 and Slaw like this.
  16. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I loved it, was a right eye opener for me.

Goat stew or fish stew is the stable diet with lots of other things. I had chapatis one night and felt horrendous because that's what the kids have for Christmas dinner. I had one bite and just felt like a fat white pig.
    Never been happier if the truth be told spending time there.
    If you have one thing to do it's to go to an Iten wedding, lasts about 24 hours, not a drink about but out yer but on atmosphere.

Mary Keitani is a complete class act, like almost * like in the community. Wilson got arrested at the start of the pandemic for breaching Covid rules in his hotel.
    Literally party central as well as elite athletes....they work very very hard but the Kenyans party harder than any other people on the planet.

I prefer personal experience with self motivation books, Jim Roth, Tony Robbins, Marcus Buckingham and Jack Welch are the books I read incessantly.

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Kelley Armstrong's Living With The Dead book 9 in her Otherworld Supernatural series and another fun read.

[​IMG]

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Finished this and I could not recommend it highly enough to any prospective entrepreneur.

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Anne Cadwallader's really important book Lethal Allies which details the collusion between loyalist terrorists and the British security forces in the murders of 120 Irish people during the 1970's in mid Ulster mostly Armagh and Tyrone but also includes the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. Names are named and much of the more recent Historical Enquiries Teams work is brought out. Very disturbing but also very important.

[​IMG]

seanm likes this.
  20. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Just finished these 2
    [​IMG]
    Fictional obviously, but hard to enjoy because it brings to mind what a lot of people have to go through just to achieve safety for their family. * up world we live in.

[​IMG]
    Good self improvement book that is very practical and 'how-to' based. I think it would benefit from some more in depth stories, there's a decent number of anecdotes there but they're normally glossed over in 1 or 2 lines. It references pretty much all the popular work done in things like goal setting, habits, learning, Grit, growth mindset etc, so it's useful for quickly referring back to different ideas and strategies

Slaw likes this.