1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Where it went wrong?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stubhoy07, Mar 7, 2021.

Discuss Where it went wrong? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I'm not buying this 'they are the best team in the country'. They're on an incredible run of luck. From european draws to lack of injuries. Also refereeing decions(penalties lack of red cards etc) and no co vid related issues. I may be bitter but no way they are the best team. They've won the league and that's it for me. We move on. * will freeze before I concede they're the best team in the country.

2. Dip 'n' Swerve

Does anyone at the club do shooting practice - this season we have been beyond woeful in front of goal - so many shots over the bar, sliced wide - * keek - mc gregor, christie, eddie, moi, laxalt, rogic - turnbull is the only one with a bit of a ping, and griff once he gets match fit finally on the last game of the season.

the sad thing is after the new year if we won all games which wasn't hard feat we would have a small glimmer of hope.

why bring on forrest in a game such as yesterday - strange

why are we afraid to start with 2 x strikers ffs?!!

Kenny - sideway and back passes with no left foot no chance.

this whole team needs a clear out - sell eddie, hope we get coin for dembele in the summer.

we have never replaced Armstrong, never had competition for forrest since Roberts went, we lack height, strength, or desire any have no captain in the ranks.

I would keep ajer, turnbull, soro, forrest, mc gregor, welsh, possibly griff or bayo the rest I would start to move on, I would like to hear any reasons what other players should be kept.

the fact yday after 60 mins the game was always going to finish 0-0 the players don't care, there is no passion coming from the coach and the club are now minnows in Europe - what is now a success for the club is qualifying into the groups for CL or Europa (anything in the groups is an added bonus) and hoping for a lucky draw to put together 2 wins and 2 draws. jokers!

I thought yday we would win, and hopefully win next week and prolong their celebrations.

the finishing has been a shamles - I would love to see what happens on the training ground and what intensity he sessions are played at, but I can fathom a guess that training is simply training coasting about with a joke and a giggle.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

They’re 20 points ahead of us but they’re not the best team in the country? Come off it.

They’ve won more European knockout ties in 2 years than we have in over 15 years. They’re clearly a decent team.

So many fans are ridiculously blinkered. This idea that “they’re just lucky” is pathetic. Must be the luckiest team in the history of football if they’re actually * but still unbeaten in the league after 32 games and in the last 16 of the EL.

You might not think they’re great. But look at the state of us this season ffs. To suggest we’re a better team than them is laughable.

4. Dip 'n' Swerve

we have been * - terrible shooting, poor free kicks given away resulting in goals against, poor from attacking corners, no one to deliver a good cross inplay (the last person was KT) and turnbull is showing glimpses.

they have been the best team, they conceded the least goals, the recruited well and built up a squad who will play dirty, strong and can score from different players.

Dundee utd keeper was touted, joe hart was touted, big fraser, toney etc etc - our signing have been shocking Hammond needs to go he hasn't a baldy- what do you expect from an ex goalkeeper giving the final say to lennon / lawwell on player recruitment.

5. Cringer67

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve touched on this on a previous post. I don’t think the amount of luck they have accrued this season has nearly been highlighted enough. Zero red cards given against. Most red cards given for them against opponents. Zero penalties given against. Most penalties awarded. This alone is unprecedented and will NEVER be repeated. They have won countless games 1-0. They have had 3 of the most blatant red cards not given against them when the score was 0-0 and less than 15 minutes had been played. I could go on. Everything that could go right, HAS gone right for them. And the opposite has been true for us. Now, we aren’t blameless. A lot was our own doing, but regardless of how we conducted ourselves, it wouldn’t have changed the luck they have received and therefore would have made very little difference . Even if we were at our best they still would probably be champions such is the fortune they’ve had. The stars won’t align for them like that two years running. It’s not possible. They are champions, we move on. There is absolutely no reason why we can’t take what’s ours back next season. * them. We have a job in our hands but they are nowhere NEAR as good as they think they are.

Creativecelt likes this.
  6. Cringer67

They have been the best team this year. But by *, you give them waaay to much credit though mate.

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im not so sure that would have been a certainty. In Rodgers last game vs them we were beat and they deployed the same tactics vs us a few times after.

It was public knowledge that Rodgers wasnt happy with the transfer strategy, and it was that same strategy that played a big part in our capitulation.

8. JamesM09

The issue with Celtic is we haven't moved past 2008. We have failed to modernise because of Peter Lawwell and a gullible support that is easy to trick and divide.

If we are to learn anything from this we need to retire the 'Faithful through and through' patter. It is a MARKETING TRICK used by incompetent management to get your money. Guys like Peter Lawwell's only skill in life is they can hoodwink the Celtic support. I don't understand how even now people can't see it.

Stop blindly putting money into the club. Put your money in ON CONDITION that the club is run properly.

The bottom line is we failed to modernise the club because we're too lazy or stupid to hold those in charge to account. We must scrutinise every decision now. We're a huge enterprise with even larger potentially, so scavengers like Lawwell and Lennon will always lurk to get what they can out of us. They get in the door and consolidate their position.

When someone like Lawwell starts hiring guys like Deila and Lennon - obviously bad decisions - we must unite and react. Otherwise in 10 years time we will be even further down the European ladder.

rkid and RiquelmeCSC like this.
  9. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I think you are looking at it with green tinted glasses on. It * pains me to say it but they are the best team in the country.

Have they had some luck along the way? absolutely! but for the most of it they have been far superior than any other team in Scotland and done well in Europe.

They have been playing well and set up o play a system that plays to their strengths.

If it was the other was around and we had the season they are having we would all be creaming in our pants.

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    They are better than us. I think they have had some help keeping their results up but let's be honest we are the drizzling *. Our defence has been awful, Ajer and Welsh have tried but too many mistakes from those around them. Brown, Christie and Rogic shoe horned into starting line ups, midfielders playing as strikers while strikers are on the bench and no decent keeper.

Garrymac1888 and DonnyCelt like this.
  11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

All problems a manager would fix. Player for player we still have better. If it was 1 on 1 football we have better in most positions. As a team? A disgrace and they don't have a clue what to do with each other. We will wrestle the league back First time of asking and then finally get to see that we greeting faced * gerrard thrown out.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Goes back to how far being a well drilled, organised unit can get you..

I'll admit I don't think they're great. We've been diabolical and for around 2/3 month's they were abysmal anytime i saw them on the box, scraping 1 nils or that. Improved, absolutely though..

We have just parted ways with a manager who admitted he couldn't even change how we defended set pieces....which we've comically conceded from all season. That's just one example. That's what we've been up against, what chance did we have. Unbelievably amateurish..

13. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    They are as good a team as we’ve been for years at the moment done more in 2 seasons in Europe than we’ve done in the last 10

14. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Been saying this for ages we weren’t that great a side in the league under Rodgers. When it came to the cup we turned it on of course but simple fact is even if Rodgers was the manager sevco would still be wiping the floor with the rest of the league, even if we beat them at new year they’d still have a great record. At the end of the day we had to be at the top of our game all season to win this title and the players weren’t up to it.

15. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    To everyone saying we have a better team than them, if you look at our squad we have 3 keepers that aren’t good enough, a youth player playing at centre half, 2 loanees at full back (I do like Kenny but he’s a stop gap), a 36 year old Scott brown in midfield and one winger who has been injured for 90% of the season. That isn’t a great squad.

We’ve been fitting square pegs into round holes all season. Edouard, Ajer, Forrest, McGregor and possibly Turnbull or Jullien are our only true top class players. We’re so short in some areas of the pitch it’s unbelievable and it’s only going to get worse in the summer.

Are Rangers an unbelievable football team? No. Do they have better squad depth than us and a system that makes them play very well as a unit? Absolutely yes. The quicker people wake up to this and stop pretending our squad is better, the faster we’ll be able to fix it. There are so many gaps in our squad right now.

16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Player for player I'm not sure we are better. Their full backs are superior to ours as are their keepers. We each have 4 strikers, while we have the best one we probably have the worst 3. Midfield you could argue we are better but 1 winger injured has meant we can't play with width which is awful. They have had some guff signings over the years but have not relied on loans as much as us. I don't think they will sell as much this summer either as they will try and qualify for the CL.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  17. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    midfield we definitely match them but defence goalkeeper and forwards they are better.
    There is no reason why Soro, Turnbull, Christie aren’t better than Davis, Jack, aribo, Kamara etc. Only issue is outside of that only edouard would get near their team

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

By calling them a decent team?

19. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    He’d still pick Christie over them :56:

20. Cringer67

No, thats fair. They are a decent team, id agree on that, but you were waxing lyrical about them being unbeaten in the league and their European exploits. They've played nobody in Europe in 3 seasons. Benfica and Porto as good as it got despite never being seeded and in Pot 4. A minor miracle how they managed to draw the teams they did in 3 years but that's another story altogether. Their fortune in the league has also been documented. This is why i said you give them way too much credit.