1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    * dat, we not seeing enough in * English rbs.

2. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Poor comparison. Duffy played a low-block, backs-to-the-wall style at Brighton, which was never going to suit us.

Smith has been used to a high-pressing, proactive style of football at Bournemouth, with all of the over-lapping and dribbling that that demands of a right-back. Might not be a sexy move, but could be an effective one, for backup at least. We're starting from zero in that position.

3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    :56:Man alive...

Smith is nothing like Kenny. Not a world-beater, but solid defensively, capable of taking a man on and delivering a decent cross, on a free.

4. DonnyCelt

We are going to struggle to attract a decent calibre of player.

Anyone who has watched us this season will be thinking * that.

5. CountyDownFaithful

Hence why it’s so important to bring in a top manager that can attract quality players and sell them his vision.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  6. James Gold Member Gold Member

If and it's a big if we bring a top manager we must back him as best as we can this time and not have another Rodgers situation

DonnyCelt likes this.
  7. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We need about 10 players :giggle1:

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It will be a big turnover but we will rake in a lot on player sale's, plus a lot of big wages off the book's..

Spend big on a striker and winger/playmaker
    I imagine we'll have 3 or 4 loan's in but they have to be first team quality..

That's 6 player's already and I think the rest will be pre contracts, youth prospects and low fee types..

I can easily see about 10 or so coming in and out can be done. Just have to get the recruitment spot on this year..

I keep seeing it but we're crying out for pace in every department..

Hammy89 and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  9. oh bhoy

where do you get a new goalie,a new back 4 ,2 wingers and a striker all before champions league qualifiers ,the club is an absolute farce at present

10. CountyDownFaithful

Agree but I think 3-4 loans is excessive.

I’m only in favour of a loan deal if a) it has an option to buy or b) it’s a quality player who we can’t afford.

But ideally I’d prefer to spend on permanent players who want to be here for minimum 3 seasons. Hard to build a consistent squad when potentially some of your best players are loan players.

The amount of cash we’ve wasted on Duffy and Laxalt is sickening and I’d throw Moi into that as well given his lack of game time.

However, given the size of the rebuild, we might be forced into the loan market to help with building a squad that is capable of competing next season. Longer term I would prefer to see no more than 2 loans per season.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We have 4 just now off the top of my head..

I do agree in normal circumstances I'd rather have mostly permanents and a couple of loan's top's, but with the turnover, covid and the financial straints, I think 3 or 4 quality loan's will be sensible..

But loan say a number 1 keeper from a big gun looking to ship someone out for game time..

Loan a centre half..

Loan a playmaker/winger..

Loan a striker of quality..

Will make the rebuild easier..

12. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    We need significant signings.

We should be looking at getting pre contracts sorted out right now with aims to replace the gaps we already have and the ones we know wont be there next season.

We can't do that as we don't have a manager so there's no point in signing anyone yet.

We have 4 loan players that we could sign replacements for, 2 long term injury, a striker we know is away, a CB that is highly likely away, a load of want away players all over the park, youth that will not renew and whatever the * all else.

We will be going into the qualifiers against stronger opposition than normal with a depleted squad and probably an interim manager that is already proving he's * so that's not going to help one bit.

We will have a few returning from loan, of those I wouldn't expect much from any of them.

Bayo - I'd like him as an option and loan out klimala
    Shved - if he comes with good attitude then good, give him a crack at it
    Afolabi - has not impressed in the championship, loan him out to an English league 1 or a Scottish prem team if we can
    Robertson - get him about the team or get him out on a loan to a Scottish prem club like a motherwell or Aberdeen.
    Hendry - aye he was * before but we are desperate for defenders and he has done well, I would not mind if he was back and we see if he's good. Oostende already want to activate the buy so it's all on Hendry for the pick.
    Boli - sell or keep, others have done worse for covid than he did for us, he just got scapegoat'd a bit since it was early
    Ntcham - sell him, unless the new manager has serious plans for him but I doubt it.
    Gutman - get him in the squad if we can, I suspect we can't so sell
    Perez - see Gutman comments

We need to do business early but we won't, we will be struggling through and still needing things at the end of the window. I just hope we get a good coach in that can work with what we have, there is talent there as has been proven when we had a competent coach.

13. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Few more on loan I forgot about

O'connor - get him in the team for depth
    Hjelde - keep in squad for depth and to get some games as our 5th Cb
    McInroy - loan to a premiership team or strong English league 1
    Coffey - loan to something stronger than league of Ireland
    Wylie - loan to something better than Northern Irish league
    Patterson - he's a left back, keep him early as we need cover in that position, see him in preseason and then make the decision on loan or keep as 3rd choice assuming the Americans can't get in the team.

If we get out colts team into the league that would be great, that way our youth will actually have games, yes it'll be league 2 at best to start, hopefully they are able to get promoted and can be a Scottish championship team eventually, it works well in other European leagues and should benefit the national team too but this point is irrelevant to the near future plans for the first team

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Foley1888

I agree with volume of turnover but please 1 or very max 2 loans and they need an option to buy.

The players are out there to sign to improve this team, as you say we will bring in a decent amount from sales, in fact more than we probably ever had in a single window.

I feel the high volume of loans have as much to do with our issues as almost everything else except the manager and coaching staff. Every time we turn to them we have a terrible time of it.

I think we need to look to pre contracts for both experience and young up and coming players but the most fundamental thing for me is a hunger which is sorely lacking just now. It might be a hunger to develop and progress for younger players or a hunger to win for more experienced but that seems to have completely gone from this current crop.

I agree again that we badly need pace and I think overall physicality too many of the existing team are so light weight and pretty heartless when things get tough.

I again agree, we need to spend wisely in a few positions for me CB, at least one of the full back positions and get a good pre contract the other, Striker is a definite, a wide left attacking option whether it’s a winger or a second striker type but we only have Johnston there who is badly struggling with injuries and not really proven himself yet and probably a proper physical box to box CM.

Although it really depends who Is out there and there availability whether it’s precontract, a low- ish fee or having to push the boat out a bit.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye ideally all loan's with an option to buy but that isn't always possible..

We really could've done with getting Ben Davies and Pearson in. Would've helped massively with the rebuild..

Money will have to be spent. We can penny pinch in the next window for all position's....it needs serious work..

Yep, power and pace in this side is badly required. We have so many player's that can control the ball and tune well, back to goal but no many at all who can skin their man with pace or go in behind. We also do lack real physicality and as well as being poorly setup, it's probably a reason why we're so poor at defending set pieces..

There's been a lot of talk about our lack of scout's and the network in general. This is where the one's we do have are gonna be badly needed. There will be plenty of good player's out there and bargains to be had. We have to get it right..

Foley1888 likes this.
  16. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    the colts team proposal doesn’t allow the teams to rise up the leagues as far as the championship.

17. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Most important transfer by far is going to be a manager players will want to come and play for. Get a solid manager in and decent transfers will fall into place

18. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I didn't think it did, but we can hope that it changes, it's definitely not an instant item and after a few years of it things may change

19. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Mate Coffey is struggling at Cliftonville hasn't even been starting most of their games (according to a relation of mine that supports Cliftonville anyway)

20. CountyDownFaithful

We really need a strong reaction this week from the club hierarchy.

This isn’t just about losing 10 in a row. It’s the manner of how we have lost it combined with off-field issues like poor fan engagement, no added value in ST etc.

They cannot hide from this. It’s criminal how quickly we have regressed and it justifies all of the concerns we’ve had for a long time - ie. club not being run properly, no long-term planning, lack of ambition.

I don’t want any new manager taking over until we’ve played the Huns on the 21st but the fight back has to start now. Let’s get a big name manager announced along with a DOF that will take the attention away from their title win.

Let’s get as many good/promising players on pre-contracts as we possibly can. Let’s start planning for the rebuild and sound out our key targets. Another window of ‘waiting and seeing’ cannot be allowed to happen.

We need to bring the hunger and excitement back. The club badly needs some positive news because the dark cloud that’s hung over us all season is still firmly there.

callumrae1967, Foley1888 and Hammy89 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.