1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Where it went wrong?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stubhoy07, Mar 7, 2021.

Discuss Where it went wrong? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

From top to bottom we need to really reflect and revise how we let this happen.

I know most feel like it's all on Neil Lennon (rightfully or wrongfully). For me it runs far deeper than being the fault of one person here. Yes Neil has to share a big part of the blame but for me their is something we never seem to address. The lack of replacement to key players or inadequate replacements.

I have literally been thinking all afternoon about the players that played over the last 9 years and thinking about how many of them have been replaced or atleast adequately replaced. When you look through the list it is utterly woeful.

Craig Gordon/Forster - for all his howlers and * house comments Craig Gordon was/is a far better keeper than anything we have now. Forster is by far the best keeper we had during the 9 in a row. Replaced these two with barkas! We spent £5M on an unproven player. How much more would Forster have cost realistically? The £5M we have absolutely wasted on barkas would have had Forster's wage covered for a very decent period of time surely? Atleast 2 seasons surely?

Tierney - replacing him was always going to be next to impossible. We all know how special he was, I guess it was always going to be a downgrade to a degree. But we banked £25M and go and sign boli and Taylor!? Really what is that about.

Sinclair - absolutely baffling to let him go. Yes he was past his best but again at worst he would have made a very good squad player. We lack total width right now. Sinclair would have give us that with trickery and the ability to unlock a defence. I assume Ely was his replacement, maybe not the worst but it's still a step down for me.

Paddy Roberts - like Forrest, he has had his fair share of criticism on here but I really think he might have made a huge difference for us here. He was always their to cover forrest too. Soon as Forrest got a long term injury I think we all knew we would miss someone like Roberts. Who did we replace him with? Absolutely nobody. Shved maybe!?

Scott brown - I know he hasnt gone anywhere but he isn't the same player he was last year. He should have had competition for his place long before now. Soro to me looks a fairly decent replacement but it looks like he has been largely unfancied to take the reigns. We all know Brendan identified mcginn for that role and what do we do, haggle over pennies. Terrible decision

Lustig - again a bit like brown, we were playing playing him well past his best. Frimpong certainly had qualities going forward but he was no where near as defensively sound as lustig, neither is Kenny. To think we once had Matthews and lustig competing for that spot. Now we have one loanee claiming that spot all to himself really.

Boyata - in fairness we spent big money on Julien. I like Julien, I think he is a better football than boyata but boyata had far more ariel presence and better positioning. Whilst boyata certainly had many howlers in him he did provide solid displays overall.

Griffith's - again like brown, he is still here but he isn't the player we have known of old. What do we do in this situation, sign klimala and ajeti. The combined cost must be around the £9M mark and a semi fit Griff gets in ahead the pair of them. £9M would have wrapped up Toney who I think we all fancied during that window. Poor again. That situation could be considered even worse when you look at our £2M flop on bayo.

Their are probably even more examples that I haven't recalled.

Everyone has an opinion on why it went wrong but for me it's largely down to recruitment. Hammond has been a total flop, the board have let all the manager's down with not backing them financially. How Rodgers wasn't trusted to spend £4M on mcginn but Lennon was trusted to spend £5M on ajeti is absolutely baffling!

For me it all points to The board. Absolute negligence. I just hope this mismanagement leaves with lawell

Ewang83, James Mc and callumrae1967 like this.
  2. Sin

Where it went wrong?

We gave Lennon the job full time, that's it!

This team has some players that aren't good enough but the squad as a whole should still be very much in the title challenge!
    It's going to be a huge rebuild but that will also be down to the loan players leaving and players like Eddie that want to leave.

For me the buck stops at Lennon and his pride for not making changes back in September/October when it still mattered.
    Also the board for not binning Lennon when it still mattered!

celticdaft238 likes this.
  3. DonnyCelt

In the showers at Hampden May 2019.

4. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    What's the point of this thread mate? It went wrong when they gave it to Lennon. That's when they * it. No arguments from anyone surely.

5. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I disagree. Not saying Lennon is or isn't part of the problem. Am saying the problem is bigger than one man. If we kept all the above players we would have secured 10 - I am extremely confident of that. The point being if we replaced them adequately we would have secured the 10 with or without Lennon.

We can discuss/debate where it went wrong. If everyone believes it's all down to Neil Lennon I fear we will be making more mistakes in the future. Surely we are all aware it isn't souley down to Neil Lennon? I even accept we can put a large part of the blame at his door but for me, Hammond, lawell and Dermot all shoulder the blame too

StPauli1916 likes this.
  6. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Lawwell, Lennon, Congerton and Hammond all disastrous appointments.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I agree that we haven’t replaced players properly.

But the reason we lost the league this season is Neil Lennon. The only player we lost last summer was Forster. While he was fantastic, he’s “just” the keeper.

Lennon has made almost every players in our squad worse this season.

Keano88 likes this.
  8. david100825

1. Poor recruitment summer of 2018
    2. Hiring Neil Lennon

The Phoenix likes this.
  9. dmccourt95

No binning Lawell with Mowbray in 2010. Huns were on the path to death anyway so every major decision made by lawell in the 10 years afterwards have led us to this.

10. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

The summer of 2018.

When the board * off the second best manager in our history so much that he eventually didn’t see any realistic way in which he could take us further.

Our abhorrent transfer policy and sickening lack of ambition all came about at the same time, culminating in getting papped out of the CL by a shocking AEK Athens team.

11. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Complacency and arrogance by the board , manager and players In May 2020 .
    We should have invested in the team wisely during the summer instead of thinking we just need to turn up and we will hammer all teams before us .
    In all my 58 years , I have never seen a team implode so quickly , it is a * disgrace .

johnboy19 and stubhoy07 like this.
  12. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

After the invincible season. Should have put light years between us and the *. Failed to sign castagne and mcginn and that was the beginning of the end. Board rested on their laurels, didn’t want to spend money and got complacent. Lost Rodgers and went for the cheap option in Lennon. We’ve downsized every year since 2016.

JML67, The_Bhoy, dmccourt95 and 7 others like this.
  13. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Been a whole host of errors that were warning signs for years that there was going to be a disaster incoming, but * the 10 is because they gave Lennon the job, the worst possible guy to replace someone like Rodgers, if they'd got a proper manager then we'd have actually fought for the title this season instead of having to witness this shambles.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Loads of reason's but we ridiculously lack pace in our overall squad..

15. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Replacing a top manager with an absolute diddy, it’s like going from Van Dijk to Duffy

16. Martybhoy53

Dreadful recruitment. Hammond Pish manager who was clueless. Lennon. A tight fisted leech. Lawwell. Short sighted and arrogant. The board.

Jmac402 and stubhoy07 like this.
  17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s simply too many areas to list. We haven’t done anything well in a long time.

The board fell into the trap of believing that domestic success was proof that they were doing things correctly. The truth is that domestic success came against the backdrop of a very unique set of circumstances. It should be a lesson to all of them - results don’t necessarily mean your making the right decisions.

rickyroma25 and stubhoy07 like this.
  18. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Lack of pace, lack of movement off the ball, lack of imagination with the ball.

Just a shambles of a season.

19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think this is where it started.

Missing out on McGinn was a massive trigger for it, imo.

And Shved too. Imagine being Rodgers, having brought a near unprecedented level of success to the club, assembled an excellent squad, having a reputation that would allow you to walk into a good job in any league, and some jumped up accountant just randomly signs players you haven’t even seen? :giggle1: I probably would’ve * off too, tbh

The_Bhoy, Jmac402, Lennon1888 and 5 others like this.
  20. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    What the point

it went wrong in the showers after treble treble

as for 5 million on an unproven keeper. I’m sorry but an international keeper isn’t unproven

stubhoy07 likes this.