1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Books you've read or are reading

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Kayal, May 28, 2011.

Discuss Books you've read or are reading in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Broken which is book 6 in Kelley Armstrong's otherworld series. Focused on the original werewolf characters introduced in the first 2 books and an enjoyable read.

[​IMG]

2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished The Boy From The Woods by Harlan Coben. A stand alone thriller that does not involve the authors usual characters and I thought a good thriller with quite a few twists.

[​IMG]

Fontaine likes this.
  3. celtic warrior

Check out Trouble Don't Set Up Like Rain by James Gunn.

Mate of mine gone into publishing, this is first go

4. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Reading Four Hour Work Week at the moment. In an ill-fated attempt to escape the 9-5 and retire early!

5. ddub11

Just reading about Micheal J fox and his life with Parkinson's.

He has it tough but his attitude with dealing with it is great,i couldnt imagine for minute i could be as strong as him.

seanm likes this.
  6. ddub11

Any one recommend a decent self help/motivational book? usually read one at the start of the year just to get me going for the year.

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished book 7 of Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series No Humans Involved and enjoyed it. A good supernatural thriller type fun read.

[​IMG]

8. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    My new years resolution was to read more, I'm on 9 so far this year (maybe 8 and a half since I started one book at Christmas, and another book I had half finished since last lockdown). That includes audio books too

Currently reading
    [​IMG]
    I prefer non fiction books, and I joined my local library to read ebooks on my ipad. Also sneaked a trial at a New York library for a month which was good.

3 I've read this year are Atomic habits, the subtle art of not giving a f*ck and the art of being brilliant. All good reads.

9. ddub11

Cheers mate,as soon as i finish my current book ill look them up:50:

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Finished Malcom Gladwell's David and Goliath. It was interesting but I felt no where near the level of his previous books.

[​IMG]

11. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Didn't finish the last book, loan ran out before I got to the end. Was alright but I'm not going to take it out again to finish it, seemed to be more aimed at professionals than anyone else.

Funny I had just taken this out before I saw your post. The only other Gladwell book I've read is Outliers which I thought was good, what other ones have you read?

I've also just started this as an audiobook

[​IMG]

I try to keep it in mind when I start mindlessly scrolling. It's interesting but a lot of the studies it references I've heard elsewhere in books like Atomic habits or Nudge, so either the authors need to widen their horizons or I do :giggle1:

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I have read Outliers as well and agree though it was very good. I have also read both Blink and Tipping Point and again thought both were very good. But for me David and Goliath was at best an article. Making it into a book was a stretch and kind of muddled up the valid point he was making about an inverted U curve in some situations. The inverted U curve was an interesting point but should just have been an article not a book.

Irresistible looks interesting. I will have to check that out some time.

Dazza likes this.
  13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

14. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Aye finished it and can see what you mean. Got a bit repetitive and predictable, although I still found some of the stories interesting. The bit about Ireland started to make my blood boil and he barely even touched on the worst of it!

Finished Irresistible too and ended up downloading an app to limit how long social media can be used for on my phone. 30 minutes a day and only between 12pm and 12am.

Wanted to read something a bit lighter and fiction before I go back to work next week. Was between Harry Potter (don't laugh) and Game of Thrones/A song of ice and fire, went for HP in the end since there was a waiting list for GOT. Also put off by the idea of George RR Martin dying before he finishes the books :giggle1:

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I got the first HP book off my sister but I haven’t started it yet. Let me know what you think of it. I’m more interested in self improvement and psychology books at the minute but once I get the urge for a bit of fiction I might dive into it.

16. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    I've finished it now, I read it in about 3 days :giggle1: It's obviously written quite simply because it was originally aimed at a younger audience, but it makes for an easy read when you want to switch off. I will read the rest of them, but like you I mostly prefer non fiction. I think I'll probably read 1 HP then one non fiction and alternate it that way.

I'm just starting on this now

[​IMG]
    Seems like Malcom Gladwell is on the front cover of every book I read :giggle1:

And started this as an audio book

[​IMG]

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    A Chara,
    Yes the bit about Ireland was dodgy and ignorant on his part although he at least did admit ultimately that their behaviour was wrong but otherwise he should have stayed away from a topic he clearly is ignorant about. But beyond that yes I just felt the main premise he was making about an inverted U curve being interesting was only enough for an article not the book.

Must admit I laughed out loud when you said wanted to go for something lighter and then included Game of Thrones as under consideration. Game of Thrones is many things but light reading it is not. I have actually read all 5 of the books that Martin has published and loved them. Very long but everyone a masterpiece. Having said that leaving his readers hanging for so long and not finishing and or publishing book 6 the guys a big time * on that score. Total contempt for his readers the way he has treated them. Book 5 was published in 2011. I mean come on 10 * years what a *.

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Top one looks like something that would interest me. Let me know how you get on :50:

CDC5B614-1321-4168-9B1F-A6A89F32177A.jpeg

I’m about half way through this right now. A must-read for anyone in a long term relationship in my opinion.

62E58A22-2132-4C82-8A79-3F77A0A24EF7.jpeg

This is also a very valuable book. I watched Dave on YouTube a lot a few months ago and had to get his book. By the time I read it I was already pretty familiar with his ideas but it was still good to get it all in one place as intended. Another one I’d highly recommend for anyone who thinks it’s impossible to escape the rat race of living pay cheque to pay cheque and being up to your neck in debt. For most of us in this day and age, there’s no excuse for not being a millionaire by the time you’re 40.

Dazza likes this.
  19. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    upload_2021-3-9_0-23-2.jpeg

Fascinating, and I thought I came from an extremely politically charged and football mad corner of the world....

seanm, Dallas Cowbhoys and Dazza like this.
  20. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    :56: fair enough, light was the wrong word to use! What I was really trying to say is I wanted to remove myself from the real world for a bit and immerse myself in a fantasy world!

Aye that's * and totally off puting! There's no way he's finishing them imo, and I read he apparently doesn't want another author to finish them for him if he cops it and wants all his notes burned :88: not sure if that's true