1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe knowing the focus is on him he is playing to the cameras? After all this is his bid for the job on a permanent basis...* fordid !!

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I’m fine with him staying until the end of the season but he should be gone in the summer. The new manager should be bringing his own backroom staff with him.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He was a quality CB mate and he has definitely struggled to get any ideas on how to defend properly across to the players.. Especially this season where we've been absolutely farcical in defending setplays..

And if he failed to get ideas across to a stubborn Lennon that's a failure as a coach too..

I hope he does well in the interim but he shouldn't be absolved of any blame and shouldn't be anywhere near first team coaching once the rebuild has commenced.. Will be important for the handover but after that he should leave the club.. For his own career too.

Wee Baldy, murphy88 and Seán Mac D like this.
  4. SuperZidane

To be fair to Kennedy, he did say that he was "prepared to park his personal ambitions" to help the club. He's not a stupid guy - I'm sure he realizes that the overwhelming majority of fans want a fresh start with Lawwell/Lennon/Strachan/Hammond and himself gone and he's unlikely to get the job even if he does well for 8 games.

If he's serious about being a manager/head coach - he needs to go elsewhere and prove himself. He's young + the Celtic job will come up again. Let's be honest - if we did get a great manager, they'll probably go to the EPL after 3/4 years and, if they fail, they'll get sacked.

I don't buy this defensive coach criticism - Lennon is arrogant _ he didn't choose Kennedy (the body language between them seemed pretty bad). We don't know how much input Kennedy actually had so people are basing their criticism on a fair amount of guess work.

I'm not an ST holder but I believe you have until mid June to renew? That's 14 - 15 weeks away, if the board haven't named the new manager by then (even if we have to wait until a team is out of the Euros) - we're in trouble.

If Desmond was worried about ST renewals with Lennon in charge, it will still be an issue with JK - I don't think we'll get another Rodgers quality appointment but I do believe that it won't be any of Lennon's "team".

Given what Duff said about JK (he was a lot more effusive about JK as a coach than he was about Lennon) - I'll be interested to see what he can do for the rest of the season (unless the board move a lot more quickly than we expect).

If he does well, its a win for the club, the fans and JK puts himself in the shop window. I would be delighted if he does the business elsewhere and, if he earns the opportunity to come back, I'd welcome him.

JML67 likes this.
  5. jambo_cfc

Yeah possibly , few people have talked him up though but i dont think celtic will make the same msitake teice , they know now that they need a whole new way of thinking and input !

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

A manager has the final say but when they turn to their assistant for their input and they shrug their shoulders or sit with their arms folded, it's hardly a ringing endorsement for their tactical knowledge.

He might talk a good game and be civil but having watched us play the last 7 years since he's been involved, the only time we've played well really for an extended period was when he was told to take a backseat. I don't think that's coincidental. Cathro MK II

Gabriel, JC Anton and murphy88 like this.
  7. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

I am not saying Kennedy is not or wont become a very good coach but he is not what we need at the moment and I also think he doesnt need us. He has to go out and be his own person and develop his own style gaining more experience, I think he has spent the most of his life at Celtic. There is a huge leap going from working under somebody as coach and being the Manager. The next 8 games will be a learning experience for him but not too much pressure other than the Huns games, but if he was given it next season the pressure with the expectations would probably break him and hamper his career as a manager.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    trackebhoy and SuperZidane like this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    What I will say is at training it was night and day the difference vocal and involved with the players had more of an input than previously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Having taken charge of Celtic on an interim basis following the departure of Neil Lennon this week, John Kennedy said his primary concerns are tomorrow’s match against Aberdeen and helping the players through a difficult time at the club.

Speaking at Lennoxtown today (Friday), Kennedy underlined Neil Lennon’s enduring commitment to Celtic despite some unfortunate results this season, and stressed his own disappointment in seeing the Irishman leave.

“It’s always disappointing when someone loses their job, especially when it’s someone you've worked with closely,” said John Kennedy. “What Neil did is give everything he could to the cause. He had massive success as a player and manager, unfortunately it’s not worked out how we’d have wanted to this season, but he recognises that himself.

“He was so committed to turning things around, to try and get on a run, it felt like every time we got a run of results we’d have a setback.

“The bar is very high here at Celtic and if you fail to reach that, there’s always a possibility you could be out of a job. It’s disappointing for everyone but he was man enough to acknowledge that and make that call.”

‘I want to strip us back to what makes us a good team, to the process, what makes good and what has made it us successful and make the players realise that.’

From here, Kennedy said he plans to apply minor tweaks in order to help build the players’ confidence – now with the help of Stephen McManus who has stepped up from the club's Reserves setup to help with first-team duties.

John Kennedy added: “It’s difficult to make drastic changes. Results haven’t always been forthcoming this season. There have been areas of the game which have been fine, but there have been areas we need to brush up on. I’ve tried to take the emotion and stress out of the situation.

“I want to strip us back to what makes us a good team, to the process, what makes us good and what has made us successful, and make the players realise that. It’s as much about psychology this week, so we’ve had to try and keep a lid on that, keep the love and confidence around the place.

‘I just want to bring a bit of clarity and help the players put their full belief in themselves. I’ve got a job to do, and the players have to have that respect for themselves and the club.’

“This has never been about me. I’ve been here a long time, I’ve always applied myself and for me personally, I’ve no interest in looking beyond this period of time in terms of what it means to me. It doesn’t matter to me. I want to guide them through this period, and maximise what’s left of the season.

“I just want to bring a bit of clarity to things at the minute and help the players put their full belief in themselves. I’ve got a job to do, and the players have to have that respect for themselves and the club. When they do that, they’re a good team. We’ve not seen that enough this season, but we know it’s in there.

“We’re a team who in the main will dominate possession and it’s about fine tuning within that, in terms of what we do with that possession. And then it’s about how we limit Aberdeen in forward areas. They can be very aggressive in the box and at set-plays. We did that well for large periods of the last game, we created decent chances until the last 10-15 minutes.

“We need to be aggressive at the top end, and also with the ball. We want to control the game when we have the ball. For periods of the season, we haven’t done that well enough. We just need to have better play from the back and at the top end be a little more clinical, and trust each other in the team.”

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  12. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Funny how it's difficult to make drastic changes to improve the team but when it's Lennon, Kennedy and Strachan making drastic changes to * the team it easy peasy.

13. Bunk Moreland

The 3 youth league championships and 6 SPFL championships in the last 9 seasons seem to contradict everything you've just said.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

In what way?

15. Bunk Moreland

No tactical knowledge? Yet he's won in each of his 9 years as a coach.

Haven't played well in the last 7 years like we were Barça-esqe in under Lennon before that.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The team has won. That doesn't mean that each contingent part of that team performed well, just that the sum of all parts was greater than the opposition.

We won the League in 2015/16, does that mean that Colin Kazim-Richards and Carlton Cole were good strikers for us? Of course not.

In each of those seasons our talent and budget dwarfed that of the opposition.

The truth of the matter is he's been involved as a first team coach/assistant manager since May 2014 and the one enduring feature in all of those teams has been a soft as * defence, despite him being a defender in his playing days.

In those 7 years he's been part of 2 failed regimes - Deila and Lennon - and was relegated in responsibility by Rodgers during our most successful spell, who brought in Davies and Touré ahead of him.

If he's as good a coach as some bill him, I'd like to see him going to somewhere outwith Celtic and prove it.

17. Bunk Moreland

1. Kazim-Richards and Cole weren't part of every game. Idiotic comparison.

2. He's not a defensive coach so stop making * up.

3. Deila won the league in both his seasons, he wasn't a failure.

Can't even be arsed to pick apart the rest of your argument.

littlekennie likes this.
  18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Don’t know if it’s just the camera angle, but Micks nose looks like it’s trying to do a bunk from his face :giggle1:

Luis1967 likes this.
  19. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Does look a bit funny now you’ve said it :56:

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

1. Do you believe a team can win a League or Cup with an underperforming player or staff member?

2. Kennedy revealed his remit is the set-up for defending set-plays – but insisted they will not ditch the controversial system.

He said: “We’ve conceded three goals from set-pieces over two ties which is
    very disappointing.

“I’m a large part of that and I will take responsibility for the set plays a lot of the time and I will shoulder the blame for it.

“If there’s anything we can do going forward we will look to tweak the zonal marking system.

3. The success of a Celtic manager isn't solely based on winning the League, particularly one in which the closest competitor is an Aberdeen side that we outspent 1:8

He failed to qualify for the Champions League twice (3 times if you include the Legia reprieve gifted to us)

We went through a whole Europa group without a single win.

Got put out the Scottish Cup by a Warburton hun team a league below us.

Deila was a likeable guy but he was by no reasonable measure "a success"