1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Weren't Clarkes family still living down south when he was at Kilmarnock? I'm sure there was talk of him leaving Kilmarnock due to that or something

G_portillo likes this.
  2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Deila wasnt a defensive coach at all. In contrast, he used to talk up the total football approach.
    Our defence was a shambles under Deila.
    Deila talked the talk about all the modern methods, diets, fitness etc but it didnt translate on the pitch. The players didnt take to it.
    I want a coach with attacking, progressive ideas as much as the next person, but ther has to be a balance.

3. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    So if, as you say, he could have taken another manager's job in club football but decided not to where does he go next? I don't see it as being as much of a stretch as you seem to think, certainly not "laughable".

4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    ... I rate him. He would be one of my top 5 candidates.

No doubt his teams play defensively - Scotland and Killie results were based on being tough to break down. I'm not saying that's a negative. I'm saying it's not the most eye catching performances but it'll certainly be an improvement on anything we've seen this year.

5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'd literally head hunt staff at Salzburg. Such a well run club behind the scenes. Signing unknowns and sell them for massive profits. They perform on the European stage and are not there to make up the numbers. Literally everything we want to be.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Frank Lampard will resist the chance to put his name forward to be the new Celtic manager but is open to the position in the summer, Football Insider understands.

The 42-year-old was linked with the Glasgow giants as well as Crystal Palace and Bournemouth after being sacked by Chelsea at the end of last month.

Neil Lennon resigned as Celtic manager at 7am on Wednesday, with John Kennedy placed in interim charge while the club set their sights on a new permanent boss.

A source with knowledge of Lampard’s situation told Football Insider his plan is to recharge his batteries and continue the break initially enforced by Chelsea.

He will then assess his options before looking to take a new managerial post in the summer ahead of next season.

The Premier League legend is open to various possibilities, including in England’s top flight, overseas, as well as potentially Celtic.

At Parkhead, Lennon has left on the back of a calamitous campaign in which their 10-in-a-row hopes have been left in tatters.

He has also overseen an exit from the Champions League at the qualifying stage at the hands of Ferencvaros, elimination from the League Cup at the hands of Ross County as well as an early Europa League departure.

The Rangers blueprint will certainly be eyed by the Celtic hierarchy.

Steven Gerrard, Lampard’s former England midfield ally, has reinvigorated Rangers and is set to secure their 55th title after a remarkable campaign.

One division Lampard is not keen on at this stage is a return to the English Championship.

The former England midfielder feels he has nothing to prove at that level after taking Derby County to the promotion play-offs in his one season in charge.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  7. RockhardBoss

A reason I want the right guy in asap, he can get his ideas implemented and his plans and goals to the players. I wonder if you got the right appointment in as head coach and the players buying into his vision, if you could get another couple of seasons out of Ajer and Eddy. It's a huge ask but if the calibre of move they want doesn't materialise and they don't feel like they're going to stagnate - perhaps even just waiting to see how the qualifiers go - who knows if they might take a new contract.

8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I have a feeling Lampard will be the huns next manager.

Gerrard may end up in the English Premier League after this season. He'll get found out their though soon enough.

9. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Depends if he keeps the same coaching staff. If he were to lose Beale then he would be found out imo

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The Clarke debate is futile as we need someone in before he'd be ready to take the job..

Much like the Moyes debate before Rodgers took the helm both would be good appointments, maybe we wouldn't play with the type of flair that Rodgers brought but we would be much harder to beat in Europe and we would be successful domestically too.

I actually want something totally different tbh, someone who's modern and innovative that can make us into a force again by playing a type of football that's exciting to watch but has a pragmatism when needed. (not much to ask I know)

martin_d and thailandceltic like this.
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Can see Lampard getting the palace job as Hodgson is out of contract in the summer. Not sure who would take Gerrard in the EPL - Spurs or Newcastle possibly... Got a feeling he'll stay at the Huns to have a crack at CL.

Edit: hope we steer clear of that route of a Lampard or another EPL ex player as manager. We can't afford to have a guy still cutting his teeth in management, which is why the Maresca one is risky for me. We MUST win the league next season.

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Depends on Liverpool. He is clearly there doing what Kennedy should have been doing by going to Hibs two years ago.
    Ie. He is working his ticket and experience to get the Liverpool job. He may need to go via an EPL club though and could be anyone to be honest.
    I reckon he won't hang around after this season.

Hopefully because he will feel he has achieved what he needs to in Scotland - and hopefully because he will take a look at us restructuring and realise how * poor we were ran and suddenly how much better ran we will be.

My hopes for us - I know I am going to get stung here.

seanm likes this.
  13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I want the Slavia guy. Just a gut feeling that he'd do well here.

JC Anton likes this.
  14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Well the fans want him in that's for sure. Gonna be a drastic downgrade on Klopp if it happens.

Credit where it's due he's got them performing well in Europe in his time there, but the biggest disappointment is we were in no position to ever put any pressure on them in the league this season. 8 + 9iar seasons we lost the Hogmanay derbies but were still neck and neck. Lack of fans and a huge points cushion has 100% helped them to play with no fear this time. To think they he was a bawhair away from the sack before covid as well.

If we get our * together then we should be winning the league again, regardless of who their manager is. DOF and a good coach are a must right now. We need stability, fresh ideas and a feel good factor before we kick off 21/22.

15. limezer

Always wanted Marco Rose looks like he’s going to Dortmund. Daniel Farke should be at least asked the question. Martinez, Buvac, Trpisovsky or Howe and Tindall. Whoever comes in I want them to have there own coaching staff not jobs for the boys.
    Jesse Marshe is also a good shout.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  16. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Lasted 18 months as Dalglish's assistant at Liverpool.
    Sacked.

Lasted 18 months as manager at WBA, winning 9 of his last 41 games in charge. Sacked.

Lasted 12 months as manager at Championship club Reading, winning 1 of his last 9 matches in charge.
    Sacked.

Lasted 4 months as Assistant Manager at Championship club Aston Villa.
    Sacked.

I’ve checked it out, and I rather wish I hadn't.
    Probably best to focus on him winning a couple of penalty shoot outs with Scotland

Clarke me bollix..

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Clarke said he wouldn't manage us or the Huns.

Clarke will be in charge of Scotland for the Euros...

Decent spell at Killie were he was aided by a * pitch were he could kill football games..

Scotland are pish to watch and will be humped in the Euros

Clarke Out

The Phoenix and seanm like this.
  18. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Who do you want?

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik