1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We definitely did not make a hash of anything by giving Deila the job over Clarke.

2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Thing is with Clarke he won’t be available till after the Euros. We need someone in early with no distractions.

I honestly think they are going to give Kennedy the job after the normal excuses, he knows the city and Celtic we had options but closed the drawer on them in favour of Kennedy.

3. Bonobhoy

Depressing as *.

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    There's a poster on kds who says he works with one of Dominic McKays friends. He said Kennedy is way down the list for potential managers. Also said that Dominic McKay has been left to hire who he sees fit

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Being sacked by a team doesn't necessarily mean he done badly overall. He had West Brom playing brilliantly and took them to their highest League finish in more than 30 years.

Things started to go awry when their main man Odemwingie started kicking up behind the scenes.

I can't recall too much about his time at Reading but the stats look fair-to-middling for a club of their size. Took them to their first FA Cup Semi in 88 years according to Wikipedia.

Kilmarnock he did more than just utilise the artificial surface. Every player on the park knew their role and there was no shirkers. To take them from relegation certainties to collecting the most SPFL points in the calendar year of 2018, a year in which we won a Treble and had our best manager for decades, is no mean feat. Particularly impressive when he did it with a budget of £0 effectively.

I don't watch many Scotland games (or any International football) but I did watch the game v Serbia and they were knocking it about quite the thing and took the game to Serbia. A bit of fortune on penalties but he did with other managers couldn't do for the last 22 years.

As a coach who clearly relishes the training ground as well, it must be pretty difficult to impress upon a national team, when he's only getting them for 7-10 days at a time. At a club side when he has time, he has shown that he can drill players and deliver results.

It might not be the sexiest football he plays and it wouldn't be a Blockbuster name but he's showed enough to show that he's a pragmatist that will act on the hand he is given.

I'd much rather a Clarke who has a record than an unknown quantity like Maresca that could be anything from Guardiola to Caixinha. We can't afford to gamble at this juncture. We need experience and a safe pair of hands, that's been there and done it; however unsexy that sounds to fans.

Mickmac likes this.
  6. TransferBhoy

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You know what, I'd take Clarke in as a Director of Football - though by all accounts that role has been filled.

I would not take him as manager/head coach.

8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Lol Clarke wasn’t even manager when that happened was mad itialian guy they went for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Being sacked doesn’t mean they’ve done poorly, agreed, that’s why I’m saying it’s a matter of opinion!

Experience and a safe pair of proven hands is Gordon Strachan. We need modern and progressive moves forward more than we need boring brands of defensive football.

10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    its a greater risk to appoint someone with no experience in management, especially when they have no experience of the league.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Strachan isn't a safe pair of hands. He's been out the game 4 years now and failed spectacularly in both his jobs since he left us.

He done us a job after MoN left but football has moved on and Strachan hasn't, which is why he's no longer considered for any managerial posts. He's managed 84 games in the last 12 years, since he left us.

Clarke embraces modern facets of football, he's been assistant manager of top EPL clubs. He understands the importance of Sports Science, Fitness and tactics. He's absolutely not a footballing dinosaur.

Some see boring brands of defensive football, I see a pragmatic manager getting results with clubs/teams whose budget/talent is dwarfed by the opposition.
    He was assistant manager (and tasked with leading training) at Liverpool and Chelsea, in periods that they played expansive, attacking football.

Give him our budget and there's no chance he would adopt a rigid, defensive style unless we are up against elite level teams in Europe.

Mickmac and cat123 like this.
  12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    An overachievement is a positive thing. And in any case, he reached the last 32 whilst winning the league.
    You under estimate the scale of that achievement. its far harder for Cluj to compete in europe than it is for us as we can spend a lot more on players and budget.

Its not as if he is jumping from club to club because his stock is falling, he has achieved recent success.

If we appointed a Maresca or a Lampard (neither of who i want) they will stay until the first EPL or European team (for Maresca) come calling.

I will reiterate, he isnt my choice or probably even in my top 5, but his name should be ahead of a lot of those who are being mentioned.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

As I said in reply to someone else - he isn’t capable of playing attacking football and winning regularly. He’s a defensive minded organisation coach. Bringing him in and asking him to become something he isn’t, isn’t akin to appointing a ‘safe pair of hands’. It’s, in fact, the exact opposite.

A * poor fit.

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Why on earth would he want to be a DoF with us when he is achieving success as a manager?

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Based on what exactly?

He can organise a defence but that doesn't mean he's the defensive-minded organisation coach you're portraying him as.

He was assistant to Gullit's Newcastle, Mourinho's Chelsea, Zola's West Ham and Dalglish' Liverpool - all of which played attacking football.

When manager in his own right he's 'pished with the * he's got' and been pragmatic.

Had he played open and expansive football at all times he probably wouldn't have taken WBA to a record League finish, saved Killie from relegation and took them into Europe and qualified Scotland for their first major tournament in 22 years.

Mickmac and cat123 like this.
  16. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Look at the * Deila’s brand of football got here. He and Clarke are in the same mould - pragmatic defensive coach’s.
    Whether we care to admit it or not we as fans of this club expect certain standards of football and to be handing out pumpings to teams whose entire wage budget is less than our highest earner.

17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    McFadden and Bonner were talking up Jesse Marsch the Salzburg manager on Sportsound

18. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Because he wants more day to day duties than being an international manager gives? Because he wouldn't have to deal with the media constantly, which he hates? Probably higher paid? Maybe taking on a new challenge? Nope, I give up, can't think of a single reason why he'd consider it...

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    In 79 games at Killie, he won 40 and drew 22. Killie was awful before and after him.
    He achieved 8th place with West Brom in 2013 with 14 wins and 48 points.
    he took has taken us to the euros without any kind of regular striker.
    Well organised doesnt necessarily mean defensive.
    He is criminally underrated.

Mickmac, cat123 and david100825 like this.
  20. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He would have stayed in club football if he wanted that. He wasnt short of suitors. Theres not a chance he would come to us in that role. He has just taken us to the euros and you think he would come to us as a DoF.. its laughable.