1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CelticBoabie

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King

They need someone that will sell season tickets for next season.

Kennedy is not that person,

Unless he is working in the ticket office, selling season tickets.

2. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Too many people judge Clark's performance as Scotland manager on us qualifying for the Euros, but look at the results and how we got there, not exactly top drawer. Not for me, his brand of football does not suit Celtic.

Bernie Bhoy and Yoshi like this.
  3. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Has Clarke not said on several occasions he won't manage either us or the huns..

SteveyNico67 likes this.
  4. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’d take clarke as a defensive coach as lets be honest he’s really good at organising a defence.

5. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

If we appoint someone like Howe we would need a DOF. Howe is a builder of teams he is not one to change everything and have it perfect in 6 months. He will take time to change the whole set up, training, coaching, diets , youth system. Once that is in place and all standards have been raised it has to be maintained. If someone lile Howe should suddenly leave for the bright lights of the EPL, like Rodgers, a DOF would be there to ensure the standards are maintained and find a coach to fit into those standards. Howe is 1 of 3 managers that share the same visions how modern players should be managed. Rodgers, we have had, Howe himself and Graham Potters
    Domestically Howe wouldn't have a problem putting a winning team out but may need a little more time in Europe to find his feet.

Jamesy Bhoy 7 likes this.
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    In the mind of any potential manager they may see the job as a steppin stone to the EPL, much in the same way many players do, in that respect i think we could attract a good calibre of manager, even if he's only here for 2-3 seasons at most.

That scenario could actually be beneficial for both parties.

One thing is for sure, we need someone who will command respect and who will have a professional approach, also they should have their own back-room team.

Put the money towards a good quality manager, and stop spunking it away on players who will never see the light of day, we need to run a tighter ship on all levels.

7. James Gold Member Gold Member

I've stuck a tenner on Shevchenko at 50/1. With Ross Desmond expected to be announced on to the board and the fact he was playing tennis with Shevchenko a few weeks back and there is seemingly a notion our next manager is at the euros. He is a name who may shift some season books and wouldn't command a massive wage compared to some other managers that are available

8. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    All this talk of lampard. If that happened I’d have to bow out of next season.

rickyroma25, johnboy19, mayo and 6 others like this.
  9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    AVB interests me but I doubt he’d want to come here. Mind you, did he not do his coaching badges/experience up here in Scotland?

10. gandolf

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc and Mick
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    Do we go the safe route Clarke/Neil?????????
    Push the boat out route Benitez/Martinez????
    Or Left field route Lampard/Rooney???????

11. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    This Lampard thing is cringe as *.

The thick Brits pushing this Lampard v Gerrard scenario are totally contemptuous of Scottish football and think it's some kind of playground for ex England players to "battle it out" in some kind of weird personal duel. Almost a Liverpool v Chelsea proxy war for EPL fans. :99:

Frank Lampard's Celtic v Steven Gerrard's Rangers :rolleyes:

Anyway not only is he not qualified for the job, he's a Hun loving right wing Tory *. So it's a no from me.

12. Kyogo Furuhashi Gold Member Gold Member

This

Tuchel is making him look like a right diddy as well, amazing what a proper manager can do

mayo, The Phoenix and Jo-Jo-Buffon like this.
  13. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Lampard can * off.

What about Marco Silva?

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He was criticised for making football too complicated. He did his badges at Largs along with a long list of people who have done it there over the years.. Mourinho, Shearer, David Weir, Stubbs, etc.
    Iv heard so many use it because its one of the fastest to get through the uefa coaching badges although this would need to be confirmed.

15. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    AVB wants back at Porto

16. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Was Lampard not sacked ???

17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Clarke is heavily underrated on here.
    He worked miracles with Killie, getting huge wins at places like Ibrox.
    He created a team spirit and a unity that was unmatched and he was idolised by the killie fans. He speaks well and commands respect.
    I wouldnt say he has set the heather alight with scotland, but he has done the most important thing which is put wins together and in doing so reach a major tournament, which was what was needed. Someone else could have come and played attacking, expansive football and come up short.
    Ontop of that he has hardly had a striker to play with.

18. CountyDownFaithful

The reality is we can’t afford to wait until the Euros is finished to appoint a manager.

I don’t think we should rush it either. We need to carry out a proper hiring process whereby managers can apply while we actively approach managers of interest.

We should looking at variety of options across Europe. First choice would be someone like Howe but if we are going down the DOF route it might be a more inexperienced appointment.

Ideally we need someone in for the start of June. With the qualifiers in July and the size do the squad rebuild, the manager needs as much preparation time as possible. Waiting until the Euros is done would be a massive mistake IMO - unless there is talk going on just now and the manager has made it clear what players he wants to bring in but I highly doubt this given Celtic’s inability to forward plan.

19. Mr Diggler

Apart from Ronny Deila the last 20 years have seen us appoint Irish or British managers and I don't see that changing. As much as I would like to see us scour Europe for a talented manager I don't see it happening. From those mentioned so far this is how I see it:

- John Kennedy: Not convinced the board would be willing to give him the job but they may look at when Lennon took over in 2010. Kennedy has been there now under three different managers and if he wins 7 or the 8 games left and the Scottish Cup who is to say he won't get a shot at the full time gig.

- Steve Clarke: He won't leave Scotland before the Euros. He was harshly treated at a few jobs in England but worked wonders at Kilmarnock. Look at them now. He also has taken Scotland to a major tournament for the first time in a generation. More of a pragmatist he could be a Strachan esque appointment.

- Eddie Howe: Howe did amazing work at Bournemouth. At one time he was being touted as the next England manager. No doubting his ability as a coach but the Crystal Palace job looks to have his name written all over it when Hodgson goes in the summer.

- Rafa Benitez: This would be a Dermot Desmond appointment and would require Desmond fronting up some serious cash. Benitez though could still walk into most jobs in the top 5 European leagues. Probably out of our reach.

- Frank Lampard: He did a fine job at Derby and was unlucky in the end not to win promotion. The Chelsea job maybe came too soon for him as he struggled with the expectations. He is well thought of though and one I wouldn't rule out although another job at a London club could be his next move.

- Roy Keane: At one stage I thought he might replace Lennon until the end of the season. Having turned down the job once maybe Mr. Desmond would be none to keen to return with another offer. Not too many get offered a second chance at the Celtic job having rejected it before.

Moore likes this.
  20. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Nice post mate, cant disagree with any of that!
    * knows who we will get... Just not JK please!