1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

:lenny1:

DEADEYECFC likes this.
  2. Big C

The decision should have been taken out of his hands months ago. What those * overpaid underperforming * that call themselves Celtic players have contributed to our demise is ridiculous. Additionally what the board have put this man through, mentally will probably take him a long time to recover from, it should have been dealt with appropriately in September.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Under a competent board his reputation would still be somewhat intact and the new man brought in would likely still have us in the title race.

That was outwith Lennon's hands and had he acted with some humility & honesty in the last few months, I'd probably still have some sympathy for him. Sadly both have been lacking and with it any remaining goodwill from the support.

The fact he was still talking about rebuilding the squad for next season after the Ross County defeat - knowing that it would incense fans - then hands in his resignation 3 days later shows that a lot of the stuff he has been saying, he hasn't even believed himself.

A bitter end to a mostly fantastic 20-year association. Maybe in time the bitterness of this season will subside a little but he'll never enjoy the levels of adulation that he has in the past.

4. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    To be honest I don't feel anything. It's all too far gone for us now to make any impact or inroads in the season. The fans have been let down big time by the custodians of the club and now they will be expecting us to laud this as positive news. There's a glimmer of hope that JK can make things a bit more respectable having been around BR and his team and learnt something from it. Was he held back by Lenny? The next few games should give us that answer. He's still nowhere near the man we need to lead Celtic. It's all a bit meh! It's been hammered home to us that we don't have a voice so I'm not expecting anything great to come of this.

Lupis and RiquelmeCSC like this.
  5. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

But but the trust are the way forward seemingly .. makes you wonder what they would have actually been doing recently had they have had more of a say ..

Scotia likes this.
  6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not fussed if he comes back to Celtic Park or not. I don’t think there needs to be a collective ‘group think’ when it comes to Lennon.

Personally, I don’t think I would boo him. Just not me. I certainly won’t be applauding him and wouldn’t take any notice of him if I bumped into him, either.

For me it’s clear as day that Neil Lennon’s 1st priority is Neil Lennon. Anyone still operating under the belief that money wasn’t the deciding factor here is being naive, imo. Nothing wrong with that of course, but don’t expect the adulation of a support base you’ve shat all over in one of the most challenging seasons many supporters will have endured.

Keano88, The Phoenix, AdamRS and 2 others like this.
  7. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

So what has happend for Lennon to suddenly resign afyer saying he was rebuilding for next season? I think there may have been some sort of player revolt afyer the County game? Senior plays like Brown, Calmac, Griff etc speaking out, enough was enough. Or maybe he finally listened and took the advice given to him for the good of his health. Regardless it should have happens months ago. If Kennedy wants to be a successful coach he has to move away and build his cv up coaching on his own. The fear is he is comfortable here and uses the remaining games to pitch his bid to get the managers role permanent. I hope the new CEO and supposed DOF are fully involved in appointing the new manager

8. wulliebad

Not happy,not sad.....i will wait to see the replacement to be emotional...we could go from lenny to oh for * sake.

9. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Agree with your points mate. But, he could have made the decision leave himself. He chose to stay for whatever reasons, when everyone and their auntie could see it wasn't working. Lennon, Board, Players in that order for me...

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Ever grateful in steadying the ship after the rat deserted it.. Securing the 8.. And bringing home the treble.

Winning the 9th and another treble on his own right was an amazing achievement too, but the warning signs were there, the Huns had the upper hand almost every game that season and Copenhagen was sign of what was to come in Europe.

He shouldn't have been given the gig permanently and he's probably unlucky that trebles had come so easy to us in the last few years after only two in our whole history previously. It meant we expected it and when it was delivered finally bizarrely this season after Covid etc, it felt different..

Normally a winning a treble in your first season back in charge would justify his appointment.. And few could have predicted this cluster-* of a season.. With Turbull looking like the only positive.

The rebuild is big and the longer he stayed the more difficult it was becoming, so I'm thankful it can now begin.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Facebook is full of stupid * to be fair. A few on here clearly still use it and buy in to the Facebook mentality.

Now that it's confirmed though, I'm hopefully gonna make this the last thing I say in this thread.
    At least surely for the time being and now this saga is * ended.

He was *. End of.
    A great player and a great servant. But even after his first stint as manager, he wasn't as good as Celtic needed

Deila came in with Collins and were shocked at the level of fitness and training, Rodgers took that up a notch and then some.

The fact this is the very same board that has spanned all these years, makes his reappointment absolutely mental. They literally knew he was leagues below these guys and was never the manager to take the club forward or even continue what was put in place for him.

This season, taken completely on its own, is an absolute disaster, that's being polite.
    He refused to accept any responsibility, called out the players refs, government and even the fans.
    He admitted countless times how often he doesn't do any level of training, preparation, nothing.
    Why he was kept on so long is a joke, what difference does it really make now? Apart from getting the fans back up in regards to it not being done sooner to save the season?

Someone in my work joked "probably doesn't want to be the guy to lose the league and do it to the Huns at Celtic park".
    Honestly, probably true.

Guys * his own legacy beyond belief and many thankfully won't do the sudden "sorry to see you go" patter.
    He destroyed us this season and he called the fans out more than once.
    To the point he backed lawwell and told the fans that out voice is worthless.

Thank * he's now gone.
    I hope to * he is ashamed and just * off. I don't want to hear his excuses or his cry stories. I don't want to see him or hear him speak about the club for a long time right now.

Goodbye and good riddance.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The prospect of Sevco winning the title at Celtic Park, or turning up there as champions, because very real.

Lennon didn’t want that, so off he goes.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

David Low is no more The Celtic Trust than Alex Salmond is the SNP/Scottish Independence.

Continuously trying to peddle that myth doesn't make it true.

Low is a Celtic supporter and entitled to his own views as much as any of us. If enough members of the Trust feel that those views are in contravention to their own then he will be voted out at the Trust's annual vote.

Peej, Jeannie960 and JC Anton like this.
  14. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Thinking it be more contractual and penny pinching by the board with time wise, as it was Feb 2 years ago he came in ,how does it work if he's on a rolling contract is he owed compensation if sacked "resigned" within the year period??

15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

He is the chairman yes ?

What are you talking about ?

16. Onefootwonder

It should never have ended like this.

NakamuraTastic and stubhoy07 like this.
  17. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

No sure on the Alex Salmond comparison :giggle1:

He’s the chair. He’s the face of the organisation. He’s the one sitting down face to face with the club, representing the organisation.

As I said on the other thread, I believe he’s cost the Trust a fair few direct debits.

Valhalla and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Yes, the chairman whose position is voted on annually by the members of the Trust.

You know exactly what I'm talking about, you are able to remove the personality from the principle or cause when it suits eg. the common unionist attack against the SNP/Independence by pointing at how unlikeable Salmond or Sturgeon is.

David Low of The Trust is no different. His view on this (and many other things) isn't aligned with my own but that doesn't in any way diminish the cause of greater fan representation via a membership of supporters and/or shareholders.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Jeannie960 likes this.
  19. KingArtur'1

Should have been punted months ago

20. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Obviously everyone has their own opinion on Neil, my personal opinion is he has wrecked Celtic after Rodgers left the club in a good place. He single handedly wrecked the 10 and embarrassed us in Europe in two seasons (this season more so)

I find it weird that after getting put out the cup by Ross County we where shocked and protests happen ect. We all expected him to get punted. Now after getting beat by county the 2nd time we weren’t surprised and didn't expect him to get sacked...low and behold he does thankfully.

Hopefully we have learned a lesson on hiring the best people for the job

Crilly and carraigbhoy like this.