1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Seasons Squad

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ApartPidgeon, Feb 21, 2021.

Discuss Next Seasons Squad in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Said it before, but we need to convince Ajer to sign a new deal. Its number 1 priorty next season.

Its all well and good getting a new manager, but if only mcgregor and turnbull are first team starters, potentially soro then its a bridge too far to gel that side to win the league.

The huns havent lost a game this season, i dont expect that next season but nor do i expect them to drop many points.

As people have said failure after failure in the market and the mismanagement of players on contracts have put us in this position.

I blame peter lawwell more than hammond or his the rats friend. Them players for leicester dont look too bad now that were linked with us.

Just look at the striker dept, eddie is certain to go. Griff cant be relied on, i dont believe Paddy is good enough, Bayos second touch is a tackle and Ajetti hasnt done too much either. Theres an argument to clear the lot out and bring in 3 or 4 strikers for next year, but id keep griff and Ajetti but bring in two first team strikers.

We dont have a right back. And im not sure oconnor is doing much at tranmere. So another reason to keep Ajer.

Like griff and Ajetti id keep taylor at left back as back up to limit the uphevial.

But we 100% need two centre backs even if Ajer signs a new contract, 3 if he doesnt and we punt.

We need a strong midfielder, more holding to let turnbull and mcgregor to attack. Ohh how i wish we had john mcginn

We need two wingers min, with forrest and MJ lets say injury concerns, its the least we require.

And to touch on the keepers...disaster

Id say we will bring in 10 players and 15-20 will depart. Im 38 this year and this is the biggest rebuild this club done in my lifetime and im sure theres older ppl on this than me and its the biggest rebuild in their lifetimes too.

Which is crazy when lennon was saying as far back as early August players just didnt want to be here. We should have let them go, would we have been any worse off.

2. celtic warrior

Couldn't give a *, if Lennon is still here for next season and a massive honking trillionaire came in and made it so, that we can buy all of the best players on the world. I'm * done with Lennon at Celtic.

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I reckon only the below will remain from this season and I’m unsure about Barkas, McGregor and Griff.

Bain
    Barkas

Walsh
    Julien
    Taylor

Calmac
    Soro
    Turnbull
    Forrest
    Johnston

Ajeti
    Griff

We need a new team, basically. Criminal level of negligence to let it get to this stage.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s not the biggest rebuild in a decade, it’s the biggest squad rebuild in our modern history.

Duffy, Laxalt, Kenny and Moi will go back.

Eddy, Christie, Rogic and Ajer are off. You could possibly add Bitton to that as well.

Brown will either retire or you’ll get a transition season out him.

Jullien is long term injured.

Barkas isn’t good enough, Ralston isn’t good enough, Ajeti is still toiling, Griff similarly but for different reasons, Klimala raw and unproven.

It is absolutely crucial Calmac stays but his head could very well be turned unless there’s sharp signs of action being taken.

Best case scenario you’re left with;

Bain (we need better)
    Taylor (we need better)
    Jullien (when he eventually returns)
    Calmac
    Soro
    Turnbull
    Forrest
    Welsh (still unproven)
    Johnstone (still unproven)
    Griff (if he sorts himself out)

We need;

Goalkeeper
    2 x centre halves
    2 x full back
    1 x winger (minimum)
    1 x striker (minimum)

Bare minimum before you even start to talk about squad depth. It’s an absolute * of a job for an elite manager never mind the prospect of going into it with the current shambles.

The Phoenix likes this.
  5. Aidan O’Shea

Fully expect an extended period of Rangers dominance. Enormous rebuild required.

6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    When you look at that garbage we will be left with, it just confirms for me that the big * up started in summer 2018.

Letting guys within our grasp like James Justin, Castagne and McGinn go and now look at this pish we will be left with.

Wee Baldy and The Phoenix like this.
  7. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    If the loan players we have in our squad left.

who out of our squad will be expected to leave that we will get transfer fee for, and how much is realistic considering their contracts:

barkas 2m
    Hendry 1.5m
    Boli 2m
    Ajer 15m
    Christie 9m
    Ntcham 5m
    Shevd 1m
    Rogic 4m
    Bayo 1m
    Eddie 20m
    Paddy 2.5m
    ralston, el-ham, bitton, dembele, Harper, 1m

plus we get 10% of dembele deal to Ath Madrid 3m

that’s about 65m.

Ideally keep Ajer and use the other 50m wisely on good manager and scouting network

8. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Christie will be going into his final season and he is doesnt want to sign so its almost certain we will sell him but I don't think we would get anywhere £9m for him. More like £5-6m.
    I think we would struggle to offload Barkas, Paddy and Boli before even speaking about transfer fees.
    Ajer will probably want to leave. He apparently wanted to make the move to Milan and probably expects to be sold this summer. Also more importantly he is also entering into his final year of his contract so it would be crimal to not sell him if he not willing to sign a new deal.

9. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    We got 8m for Armstrong in his final year and 8m offered for Boyata with a year left.

I know with covid thats likely to potentially drop but the euros could raise his profile abit also

10. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Hopefully the new guy wont * about haggling a good price to the extent where the player and his agent tells him to do one and we, once again, loose out

11. The Dude

We will have five players who are good enough to start regularly: Jullien, Soro, Turnbull, McGregor, and Forrest. Jullien will likely miss the start of the season.

We will also have a handful of prospects, as well as players who are substandard, and who should be moved on, but who are likely to remain at the club because we have failed to plan for the future.

We hardly have the makings of a title-winning squad.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

New contracts for Lenny and the Bhoys.

:lenny1:

13. DonnyCelt

Next season squad won't qualify for the CL. To many new players needed and harder route through the qualifiers.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd look to bring David Marshall in if his contract expires? He can settle the ship until we get another in over the summer..

Loan Hazard out and have

A new keeper, Marshall, Bain third choice..

Loan a right back, buy a prospect to fill in..

Loan a quality centre half with pace and pedigree/Welsh
    Buy a centre half/Jullien.

Buy a left back who can cross and has pace/Taylor..

Soro/Connell/Shaw
    McGregor/Robertson
    Turnbull/add someone for the middle with power and mobility..

Forrest/add a young winger with potential/possibly Shved..

New striker spend some real money on this position for a striker with pace, power, link up play and finishing/a rough diamond prospect/Bayo..

New left winger maybe another loan for someone with a bit of magic and wow factor/Mikey..

Barkas out at all cost's. Hazard away on loan..

Ralston away so no right back's and only Taylor for the left..

Hendry, Ajer, Bitton will all go as well as Duffy..

Broony away. Christie. Rogic offski..

Loan the likes of Klimala out. Getting sick of Ajeti maybe recoup some dosh for him and get him out..

15. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    But Armstrong and Boyata were both consistantly good for us prior to their sales.
    Any team who has watched any of Christie's performances this season would hessitate paying anything near £9-10m for him.
    Let's hope he does well in the Euro's for Scotland, that may help raise his price. Also he has actually played better for Scotland this season than for Celtic!

16. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I think people are forgetting how * * James Forrest was before he got injured.. he spent more time touching his hair than the * ball. I've never seen a Celtic player chicken out of so many aerial challenges in my life..

Punt if anyone would pay anything for him now

17. Foley1888

That’s not really true of Armstrong he had a terrible season before he went. He was excellent the one before (16/17) but spent the 17/18 season mainly injured or on the bench.

Also Boyata had always divided opinion and a fair few would have had him replaced if a decent player could have been identified especially if we were to get £8-9m for him.

I don’t think we will get as much as £9m for Christie but between £7-8m may not be out the question. It will just depend who is interested. The same could be said for Edouard and Ajer if there are a few teams keen then getting £20m and £15m may be possible if it is just one or two then it may be a bit less. However I do think all in there is a good £55-60m of income potential there when you include the £8m or so we would have kept of the Frimpong Deal and the £0.8m for Elhamed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  18. CountyDownFaithful

Not sure what formation a new manager would look to deploy but I’d say 4-2-3-1 is the most popular formation due to the flexibility it offers. So using that as an example, here’s what I think our team will look like next season:

New GK

New RB Jullien New CB New LB

Soro McGregor

NEW RW Turnbull New LW

New ST

Could have Forrest in at RW but given his age and length of lay off, he might find it hard to rediscover his top level.

I really like Soro and McGregor but would not rely on them in every single game. I would hope to see some quality CMs come in to compete for those spots.

So I’d expect to see 6-7 first team players coming in. And I think we will need another half dozen players to ensure we have good squad depth as well.

19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No Welsh or Johnston? Personally I'd like us to start looking at the long term and having youth in your team is a reasonable start in that direction.

20. CountyDownFaithful

I would like to see youth play a part as well but wouldn’t have either as nailed on starters. But first and foremost we need to build a team capable of winning the league next season.

We need to earmark cup fixtures and home games against bottom 6 as perfect opportunities to give game time to our younger players like Welsh.

I rate Johnston but he’s too slight at the minute - really needs to bulk up or he won’t make it with us.