1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    You just know this wee * will win the next 2 games to let these parasites win it at our ground.

markybhoy1976, 76mark and seanm like this.
  2. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    09/10

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why would a player or club sign it Sin the first place?

Managers and players contracts are different.

Players are traded in transfer fees, managers and coaches in compensation. Players get sold, loaned out, released. Managers get sacked, mutually consented, out on gardening leave etc.

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I realise nobody wants to hear ‘the future is bleak’ with regards to Celtic....but the future is likely to be bleak.

The discussion actually reminds me of the Lennon debate earlier in the season, where sacking him was a contentious point. People backed him, but based on a vague hope of him turning it around, as opposed to actual evidence that he was capable of turning it around.

We could hit it out the park with a great managerial appointment and at least half a dozen excellent signings. I hope we do. Based on recent evidence though....we probably won’t. Sadly I reckon we’re looking at at least a couple years of 2nd place finishes.

The Dude, Crilly and The Phoenix like this.
  5. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    We played Arsenal in the playoff, hardly Ferencvaros.

Guess who lost the Cup to Ross County that year?

The Phoenix likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Mowbray season

7. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Possibly this season

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Lennon would probably count last seasons SC:87:

thailandceltic, 76mark and Drakhan like this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Too early to say but if we get a DOF in and a proper coach, then it can all start looking a lot more rosy, very quickly..

We still have the financial advantage (quite considerably over them for now)
    Have sold Frimpong to ease pressure (they'll have to do the same with 2 or 3 in the summer you'd imagine)
    Don't they still owe millions to their player's who took wage cuts during the pandemic, forgetting all their other debts?

We need a fair few in, that much is obvious but I think an astute appointment, along with a DOF announced soon, and we can start identifying what's needed. I can see us playing the loan market for 2 or 3 quality player's in to ease the burden of the rebuild financially..

New keeper

New right back
    New centre half
    New centre half
    New left back

Soro
    McGregor
    Turnbull

Forrest
    New striker
    New left winger

That's 7 first team player's I think we need..

Edouard
    Christie
    Ajer
    Ntcham
    Barkas
    Bitton
    Rogic
    Broony

I can see at least those 7 leaving above, plus

Duffy
    Mo
    Laxalt
    Kenny

That is 50 mill and a * load off the wage bill also..

We're gonna need to box clever but if we can get some smart signings in, maybe 1 or 2 on frees/pre contracts, 2 or 3 loan's of a higher calibre and spend a decent bit on a striker, keeper and centre half....it can be done..

10. JamesM09

Mowbray/Lennon season.

Lennon took over he only had to beat Ross County and then Dundee United to win the cup. He lost to Ross County.

He’s always been a bottle merchant, but he’s excellent at pretending his failures didn’t happen.

Raoul Duke and Drakhan like this.
  11. The Dude

Why would clubs and players not take advantage of that contrivance in contract law, even if the specifics of the contracts offered to managers and players differ in other respects?

I have already noted why it would be extremely desirable to clubs. A player would have significantly greater job security, since he would, presumably, only find himself without a club if his current club paid him two years' salary to release him from his contract.

The fact that no club or player exploits such a contract is telling, in my opinion.

I think that it is safe to assume that a twelve-month rolling contract in football is just a twelve-month fixed-term contract to which another year is added if neither party exercises its right to stop the automatic extension.

The only difference between those scenarios is the nomenclature that people generally use; there is no difference between them from a legal perspective.

In both scenarios, a club agrees to terminate the contract of an employee in return for compensation, and, in both scenarios, the club is free to negotiate that compensation, unless there is a release clause.

But, again, if such a contrivance exists in contract law, why would it be limited to particular contracts? Clubs would still, presumably, be able to loan, sell and release players on such contracts. What would prohibit them from doing so?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  12. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Contacted JP re Lennons comments about things going on behind the scenes and if details of this will be released to the fans. JP’s asked the question to the club but hasn’t had any good response yet.

13. celtic warrior

And was that no by and large the same squad of players that got papped out by a huns team playing a division below us at time which lead to Ronnie leaving?

And also limping to the finish line to wrap up the league?

14. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    In fairness we had the chance to win a trophy during the Mowbray season after the scum were knocked out of the Scottish cup.

But Ross County dumped us in the semis... I'm sure you can guess who the manager was:rolleyes:

15. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I really don’t understand what is happening here. Even Brendan Rodgers would have been sacked ages ago if he has such a bad season. Yet every week we are still watching this clueless and classless dimwit spewing his nonsensical excuses in his interviews

16. The Dude

I think that it might violate laws concerning the free movement of workers, since workers would be tied to a more or less interminable contract.

17. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I’d take Deila back and I am not even a big fan of his reign. But at least he did try to change the team in some good ways such as the diet and fitness side. Remember when he came in and was shocked when he saw the players eating chips, ketchup, drinking soda. Yes that was all Neil F****** Lennon and I am guessing the current players also eat what they want. They have regresssed from professional sports athletes to amateurs under Lennon.

The_Bhoy, terrasidius, Peej and 2 others like this.
  18. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Given that our finances have been decimated by Covid we'll have to sell off a number of players to offset the huge losses.

On top of that we have to hope any replacements, who will be in the low 1-3m category, will be immediately quality additions to make up for the scarcity of quality already in a depleted squad. You're essentially hoping a 2m striker will be as good as Edouard or a 3m defender will be as good as Ajer.

Then we have to hope we appoint the right manager and coaching set-up, along with the right DOF, scouting network and sport science/analytical department.

And we have to hope this is all done smoothly and speedily - but with appropriate thought given to quality - so we can challenge immediately for a CL spot against teams like Ajax.

Aye, sounds great in theory.

What's more likely though?

We appoint someone in the mould of Steve Clarke or Malky McKay, sign * like Bangura to replace Edouard, fail in the qualifiers, probably barely scraping into the EL.

Meanwhile the Huns will swat aside * like Ferencvaros or Malmo to make the CL group stages, bringing with it lots of income - ability to keep their base, attract better players, outbid us in transfer fees, wages, and just the general attraction of playing in the CL.

Are we really going to win the league in such circumstances? And what happens the season after when the winner of the league gets auto entry into the CL? That's another 40m they'll see and we won't.

By winning this title, which the Huns have done comfortably, and the title after, which is very very likely, we are going to be mikes behind off the park and with a huge difference on the park too.

No-one wants to hear this, but this is what we are facing. You are absolutely right to compare it to the delusions around Lennon turning this season around. We are in a very bad place.

King of Kings, Wee Baldy and seanm like this.
  19. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I do not think that Covid has had as big an impact financially as many seem to think. Firstly the club kept all the season tickets sales so gate receipts income is still largely intact. They also probably saved a few bob on stadium maintainence and security since it is not needed since no fans are allowed in.
    Our finances has been decimated by Neil Lennon's failures. Failure to qualify for the CL and flopping in the Europa has left us missing a lot of income we could had done with. Also lets also not forget the costs of the trip to Dubai and then of couse the additional costs incurred in the aftermath of that.

That has left us in a poor financial position considering a few seasons back we had big surpluses in the bank and now we probably are just breaking even. But we are only breaking even because we are selling our best players, Tierney last season, Frimpong this season. This summer we will 99.99% sell Edouard and possibly also Ajer. Those two alone should be able to fund some sort of rebuild. Should allow a budget of at least £15 million to the next manager. So I don't really agree that we will be limited to signing players in the low 1-3 million category.

Nevertheless whatever happens Lennon is not the answers. He will blow any money we have on duds from Championship or sign more "projects".

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  20. 76mark

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Elliot
    Fav Celtic Song:
    HH
    Serious question.... why has he know wrapped it yet? Has he been told to hang fire till someone leaves somewhere else or is he banging someone in the board? Or is this all a rotten dream? What’s wrong with the guy??? He’s just ruined his ENTIRE legacy!!! For whit? To be so stubborn to think he can sort it, when clearly he’s way out his depth. Or are the support as a whole missing something blatantly obvious that only him & the throbbes on the board only know??? Completely at a loss how it’s dragging on & on & on...*