1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Neil Lennon is a fraudulent imposter of a manager without a world class shot stopper in his team, that was always obvious to me even before this season truly highlighted it to everyone, last season told its own story as to how many times Forster saved Lennons bacon & made him look good.

Forster is that good a keeper that he actually convinced many of our fans that Lennon was a competent manager, reality is Forster painted a false picture, Lennon is a sham of a manager & always has been.

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Yeah, and look at how much he had to spend to do that. I can't see a new manager getting circa £20m to spend now, never mind how much that would actually be in todays money. Plus he had Henke already there, where now we are about to lose our top scorer.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's living in a bubble just now, literally and metaphorically..

Unfortunately for him soon and for the rest of his life he's going to be reminded of this season wherever he goes..

He could have resigned and taken some dignity with him, but that's long gone.

4. john2061

But that's been where all our problems started not getting foster back and then selling Gordon a total * up and that's how it's been all season .
    The worry is now we need to bring in a load of new players next season and I don't trust head of recruitment Mr Hammond to do that he needs to go as well .

Lennon1888 likes this.
  5. SuperZidane

The Huns have clearly improved their situation. However, they have been running at a loss for years. They also converted debt to shares - they have over 341 million issued ordinary shares i.e. confetti. Celtic have less than 94 million I believe.

The court case re damages taken by Mike Ashley is likely to result in a hefty award against them - there are also potential cases with Hummel and Elite.

These awards (plus costs) will eat significantly into their ECL money (if they don't reach the group stages, it will almost certainly take all of it).

Rangers took a financial gamble to stop 10IAR and its paid off, thanks to our incompetence.

There is no doubt that we have squandered our financial advantage but I don't agree that they are miles in front off the park.

On the park - they surely are and the next moves from our board (new manager, funding of transfers in and out) will determine the SPFL title/ECL entry not just next year but for the next 3 - 5 years.

6. jambo_cfc

duffy came with a decent rep , welsh for me still wont make it here , he is best of a bad bunch at the moment , our fans demand instant success which we cannot afford youngsters to come in if they are not going to be above decent as a player . If you look at mcgregor , tierney , mcgeady , maloney and forrest maybe marshall outwith that our academy havent brought through very much . Mcmanus was a decent player and did his job to a decent standard but not to a standard where teams took notice. We should be looking at the best young players in europe but we dont ! We only seem to look at the uk where there are too many clubs offering better wages than we can at 16 ! If you look at ajer for example decent money was spent on him at a young age and look how he ha been ! We should be looking at the best young players in europe but we hardly ever !

7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Well said.. I said something similar but you said it better. Some proper doom and gloom merchants "we won't win the league for years" "miles behind the huns" absolute bollix.. all we need is a new good and professional management set up..

The only fear is are the board capable of such an appointment

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Its * torture resenting someone you've always admired

9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    That's the thing I don't understand in all this. He must know that the fans have wanted him gone for a long time now and he should have taken the not so subtle hints and resigned. He would have at least kept some of the dignity and respect he did have at one time from the fans but, because of his stubbornness and refusal to do the right thing, he will now, sadly, be disliked and perhaps even hated.

seanm, Jmac402 and Venomspawn82 like this.
  10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    This is my concern..no fans at games makes it so much easier to not listen.

seanm likes this.
  11. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    True this. I didn't want him at the beginning but then got behind him (as that's what you do). If he had walked awhile back, I'd have been..ok..it didn't work out but I appreciate everything you've done..now its...erm...Sad really.. as I don't want to hate him..but it's getting close..

12. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Ill get ripped for saying this but I personally feel Kennedy is as guilty of a leech as the rest. Yes a horrible injury ended his career, I felt for him, he was offered a position as a coach and Celtic stood by him, he earns rave credentials by some, but unfortunately I can’t see anything good about his coaching, if he’s in charge of defenders and defending set plays we really need to be addressing that, as we are terrible at that.

As a footballer he played a different style of football, very old school in terms of football being played in Europe especially. As he had very little of a career he has to move with the times, keep up to speed with tactics and how the games played. If he can do this aye he’ll be an asset to us, right now he’s stuck 10 years in the past right with Lennons managerial style.

AdamRS likes this.
  13. Jmac402

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The situation with the pandemic is the only reason he’s still here, as there’s absolutely no way he would’ve survived this long in normal circumstances. I get the feeling that he’ll be hoping that lockdown rules will still be in force for the start of next season, so he can get a fresh start with more autonomy and his own backroom staff. In his mind, he probably thinks time will be a healer and if he gets off to a great start, and then fans are gradually allowed back in, then all will be forgiven, the 10IAR failure will be put down to exceptional circumstances and misfortune, and then everyone moves on. I would be very surprised if Lennon was still here as manager next season, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he still thinks there is a glimmer of hope that he’ll be here next season, for the aforementioned reasons.

NakamuraTastic and seanm like this.
  14. SuperZidane

I agree that, at that point, he will either go (or confirm that he's going at the end of the season) although maybe its wishful thinking.

I think there are 2 possible reasons that its dragged on.

The 10IAR bonus story may be true - if so, I'm with the board for once, the league is long gone - why should we pay Lennon even more money for being useless? and/or

They simply haven't got anyone to take over until the end of the season (if even then?).

To be honest, as much as Lennon annoys me, if he announces that he's leaving after the season with only 4/5 league matches left (+ the Cup if it goes ahead) - I could live with that - assuming that gives the board time to line someone up for June - hopefully that's already happening!

At least we could relax and ignore his BS about next season and rebuilds.

If Lennon won't go gracefully - we should just sack him (or put him on gardening leave).

I'm living in hope that there is a clear out of Kennedy/Strachan/Hammond as well as Lennon/Lawwell. If so, I see no point in putting any of them in as interim.

Frankly, if Lennon goes and there are only 4/5 games left - I'd ask Scott Brown (assisted by Stevie Woods?) to take us to the end of the season.

15. Bunk Moreland

It's a strange one with Kennedy because look at his record so far, 3 consecutive youth league titles, then became first team coach in 2014 and has won 6 consecutive league titles including 4 trebles, he's literally been a part of 9 titles in 9 seasons. So is he really part of the problem or is he just being dragged down with Lennon's pish management? He's one of those you look at and think what the * does he actually do? But his record suggests quite a lot.

Noskeil likes this.
  16. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He’s hanging on for dear life he knows his numbers up so he will be negotiating his severance pay.

My biggest issue is the now with the board, heaving worked for major corporations I know that succession planning is a main strategy the board discuss in meetings, “who takes charge if we all fall off the planet”. So why are we waiting till the end of the season to replace our CEO and football manager this smacks of shear idiocy to me changing the head of the day to day running of a company and the main line manager leads to a lack of in house experience and although they may have help similar positions in other companies they haven’t in Celtic FC so the settling in period is longer which we can’t afford as we have to change half a team and get ready for the CL Qualifiers in the space of 8 weeks

So the only solution is change the manager now allow him the time to assess and produce a plan to take the football side forward he will be able to assess the players and work out a list of players or positions he needs filled once the current team is sold or resigned.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  17. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't get the hate for Kennedy. I'm like everybody else as not sure how good he is, some fans seem to be confident that he is * & part of the problem. Considering we all know Lennon left the first time because he wasn't getting his own people, how much input does Kennedy actually have? The same people that want rid of him will want to keep Woods & i don't see any difference in that with how * our keepers have been.

My opinion is the manager should always have their own people behind them as not every manager is hands on in training & needs to trust the men behind him to be sorting the match days errors out in training. Going by all accounts this is how it worked with O'Neill.

I think the idea was to get over this season then give Kennedy the job, which i wouldn't be happy with. Kennedy should be going to another team getting experience then maybe come back to the club if he is good enough.

18. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Lennon couldn't be trusted to have his own coaching staff because they were never out the pub together first time around. You would think that would have been enough to put the board off giving him the job permanently again

19. CountyDownFaithful

For a man who has talked so much about body language this year, I would love for someone in the media to question him on his body language.

Sitting in the dugout with his feet up while we are trailing to Ross County with 10 mins to go. What does his body language tell us? That he doesn’t have a clue or give a *

The_Bhoy, ede, thailandceltic and 6 others like this.
  20. Lennon1888

Don't think the Board, Management or coaches have gave a * all season to be fair.

SuperZidane likes this.