1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY THREAD

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by SteveyNico67, Feb 1, 2021.

Discuss TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY THREAD in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

Where I think an element of the above is true, you need to consider the fact that we have not really moved on over the last decade. We are still spending the same sort of fees largely on players we did then. So what we have been getting for our £1-5m is vastly poorer than what we did before. Also the fact we changed from looking across Europe to predominantly England hasn’t helped as their structure has massively been inflated. For example if Joe Ledley or Kelvin Wilson were kicking about now on a pre contract they would end up at bottom half of the premiership on at least double the wage we could offer, probably the same with Dembele.

I also don’t think the change in fees has really been linear as what we are seeing is the really stupid fees (Chelsea the exception) have somewhat disappeared but plenty of clubs throughout Europe outside the top leagues continue to sign players as they did before. What could aid us is the big clubs with the bloated squads seem to be eager to offload some players where there is plenty of talent that has been stockpiled but then you take a chance that their development has already been hampered by that process.

Enhanced player power is also becoming more prominent, when is the last time you can remember so many big name players, all be it most of them ageing were heading for moves without a fee?

2. Gurru 991

He still has one year left so still should be saleable for a good price. I guess it now depends on how many clubs are interested in him this Summer. I honestly think that even in these Covid times that 20 mil is a steal !!

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's certainly got enough games left to ensure he shows potential buyers he's worth paying for, which hopefully benefits us. However, from our perspective I think he's been a disappointment this season.