1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Europe 2021-22

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Peej, Jan 31, 2021.

Discuss Europe 2021-22 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just trying to work this out, it may actually be better for us not to come * 2nd in this season, at this rate.

Next year we get 2 CL spots, winners go in to third qualifying round, runner up goes in 2nd qualifying round.
    We would be up against teams who come 2nd in Holland, Turkey, Austria, Denmark, Czech. In the 3rd round we get to face runners up of Russia, Belgium and Ukraine and in the play off it is a straight out for whoever is left from all of the above.
    Honestly, I hold no hope as this stand for us in that respect.

However we do get to fall in to the Europa depending on when we fall. Fall at the first round we go in to 3rd qualifying in Europa against the other sides who got beat with us (so still the above) plus a cup winner from Czech.
    Fall at the third round of CL and it is playing this lot again plus cup winners from Belgium, Ukraine, Holland, Turkey, Austria, Denmark, Scotland* AND the teams knocked out in the CL 3rd round (champions path)

I genuinely worry for us, but my thinking here is with *
    We might actually be * better off coming 4th in the league and just winning the Scottish cup to give us a better chance for basically only needing one round to get in to Europa?

Then again, I don't trust us to win the Scottish cup either.
    FYI, only 3 teams seem to get in to Europe this season, 1st, 2nd and the cup winner (or 3rd if they have already qualified).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Champions_League
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_League

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Doesn't the new even diddier Europe league 2 start this year?

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Our first and only priority next year should be to put in a foundation that we can build from. We are so far from that now that I don't think any real attention being diverted to how we will/do perform in Europe makes any sense.

Lets get a team and squad that can play competitively in the SPL and a youth/development set-up that actually gives progression into our team first and then doing well in Europe might follow soon after that.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Ah yes, forgot about that one.
    we get 2 teams in that, assuming we make 4th place then.

the fall back to it requires being spanked in the 3rd and play off rounds of Europa.

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We theoretically could be spanked out of 3 euro tournaments next year!

Yeah @NomDePlum domestic front is key for next year - annoying to say it as so many used that line this year as well, seems as a group we need to sacrafice Europe for nearly 3 seasons just to be able to not be mugs in Scotland. Europe should never be a hindrance to us though.

Also further baffles the fact we haven't changed things to at least get some sort of kick start on next season, new manager to at least get his style across in this time, before trying to do it in a chaotic preseason.

NomDePlum likes this.
  6. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Yassss. All you Lenny haters must be feeling pretty silly right now. The tactical mastermind has been playing 4D chess from the very start.

7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    With the current collective of European bottlers at the club, it doesn’t matter if it’s the second placed team in Portugal/Ukraine/Holland we play or the champions of Outer Mongolia, as it has been for the last 9 seasons.

8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    We have no chance, ffs, we're out our depth against Scandinavian teams and the likes, so it'd be best to finish 3rd.

It would be one in the face for the board, heard someone mention about this has been coming for years, patching the team with loanees scared to spend and fkn up every CL.

I'd rather see us miss out the embarrassment, and tbh were going to have to build up, as I don't see a league title for about 4 or 5 years now, the damage has been done.

vortex666 likes this.
  9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    That sounds a bit too sensible for our club m8

NomDePlum likes this.
  10. Paradise88

We haven't signed anyone this window, and these qualifiers are played before we do most of our business, and even if we did sign a few players early on in the next window they barely have enough time to get settled to be at their best come the qualifiers.

We should have signed players this month, we are no where near a CL qualifying team & I don't think we will be.

11. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone know roughly who we could be up against here?

Not sure how it’s all working out now with the new comp but from what I did see the Europa League looks like it will stronger with no diddie teams (lol). Only Top 15 ranked countries on the coefficients can get into it I’m sure I read.

12. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Is the Inter Toto cup still going ?

Noskeil likes this.
  13. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    On current standings we’ll face either rapid Vienna, Sparta Prague or brondby in the second round. If we get past that then we’ll be up against either shaktar donestsk, Porto/braga or besiktas. And then the play off after that against whoever wins those ties. It’s going to be very difficult.

14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

feckin * reallyz I thought QR2 would be a team we haven’t really heard of as usual.

That ain’t happening unless we have a manager in soon and get our business done early.

15. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Unfortunately not, because we’re in the league route it will be much more difficult. However if we win our first time I’m pretty sure we’re guaranteed at least Europa league so it’s a must win. Lose the first tie and we face 2 qualifiers just to get in to Europa league.

16. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Europa conference league here we come

17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I would rather write off Europe next season and concentrate on the rebuild.

NomDePlum likes this.
  18. Sgt Neppers*

We're cruising this race to the bottom lark....

19. The Dude

We have no chance of progressing in the Champions League, and little chance of progressing in the Europa League.

20. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    If there is still no fans in the stadiums next season, football can go * itself. Bored watching canned atmosphere, selling our souls to appease TV companies and sponsors.

bhoy81 likes this.