1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremie Frimpong

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by MickeyyMack, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Jeremie Frimpong in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Aye....”Jerry a tell ye what, down 1-0; you go Right wing. Down 2-0; you go striker. And if we’re winning, ach well you just stay forward anyway”

theweeman likes this.
  2. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Any word on a sell on aswell as the fee involved?

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

3. oh bhoy

Aww well that's the money wasted on barky and ajeti covered

4. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Or Maurice Johnston

seamus1967 and theweeman like this.
  5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Weird to see this thread in the Ex Players section so suddenly

6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    See to be honest, that is the best club a player from us has moved to the last 10/15 years bar maybe Tierney..

When you think our best players were going to Southampton, Lyon, Norwich even a lowly Spurs. That is a complete different level Frimpong is going to. Not even one of our best players either.

7. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    The absolute rubbish being thrown around in this thread.

Frimpong has no ties to the club, he was here for less than two years, and in that time, he won everything he possibly could domestically. He received a job offer from a better team, with better coaching staff, in a better country with most likely a better opportunity for progression; not to mention better pay. The sense of entitlement from you Celtic da's needs to stop. He doesn't owe you or Celtic anything except a 'thanks for the opportunity'. Get over yourselves.

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    While I'm aware of the *, I was 4 when that happened. By the time I was into football he was a bench warmer for hearts.

seamus1967 likes this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Lyon are no where near the lows of Southampton and Norwich.
    If anything it can be argued they are a better side than Leverkusen (but on a par is fair). Regular European later stages for both (Lyon going further more often).
    Lyon regularly second to psg while Leverkusen regularly 4/5th to Dortmund, Bayern etc.

And who have we ever sold to spurs in the last 20 years?
    Closest is wanyama being sold by Southampton to spurs, in a season they came 2nd in the EPL, then 3rd, then 4th and champions League runner up.
    Hardly "lowly" if that's who you suggesting?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Hugging dd still makes me laugh .

The Phoenix likes this.
  12. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Just wish he would have let us know that he was probably going at the start of the season as I forked out for the new top for my granddaughter with his name on it as he was her favourite player:55:

honda likes this.
  13. celtic warrior

We've been robbed with this one, under right conditions, he'll excel there just as his early promised showed with us.

14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Thats the worst :56:

15. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Glad my other granddaughter is more into dolls n stuff like that:giggle1:

The Phoenix and honda like this.
  16. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

I dont believe he will. I've always said this about players...any player.....if you are that small then you need to be absolute unbelivable technically if you want to succeed at the top level. i.e Jinky or Lionel Messi. The German league is tough going....big strong players that are physical in the way they play. I can see Frimpong getting bossed out games very very easily playing against these guys.

Then again Im sure Leverkusen will have considered this. But I just dont think he is as good as they probably think he is. Plus his defending capabilities are questionable. We'll see I suppose but I think this will be the last we'll be hearing of him. So good money Id say. The team wont see it re-invested though. Thats getting pocketed obviously

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He went backwards under Lennon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

German league is the perfect place for him I think.

Alphonso Davies is the perfect example. Taller than Frimpong, but skinny and not much to him when he joined. He was a winger, raw talent with pure speed who could go past a man. Now he’s built, stronger, technically better and possibly the best left back in the world. Yes he’s at Bayern, but Leverkusen just have to follow the same blueprint and they’ve done it before themselves.

Other players who were slight when first in Bundesliga and were developed;

Serge Gnabry, Joshua Kimmich, Jadon Sancho, Raphael Guerreiro, Moussa Diaby, Amine Harit, Leon Bailey, Christopher Nkunku... that’s just naming a few.

You see a physical transformation when players are there. Nothing dramatic, but an obvious increase in muscle as there is a plan in place. Frimpong will be fine.

19. celtic warrior

We've seen in Frimpong as well, when in the right system and playing to his strengths, when a manager gets the best out of him, he is a wee aggressive player, can stand his ground and get into a tussle and break away from opposition player.

Germany is perfect for his type of style, plenty of slight looking guys gone there and smashed it like those you've mentioned.

HoopswithPride and MacEwan like this.
  20. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I want him to succeed and I think he will. And it's to our benefit that he does. Same as it is with any player that moves on from here.

The way the games is played here is still backwards to an extent, in comparison to European football. Some of the "tackles" that he was on the end of, are rarities in the Bundesliga. Chopped down to the ground because you beat the opponent. And he will be rarely subjected to the constant shelling of a ball against a big lump. And when it happens, I would suggest Peter Bosz will have a plan to help combat it and teammates willing to help out. If he even plays him as a fullback.

Was reading comments from Rolfes and Rudi Voller with regards to his acquisition. Positive talk about his abilities and his potential. Sounds like they know exactly where they want to go with him and how they will do so. Pace at any level of this game, is a massive bonus. And if they can develop other areas of his game. They will do well.

Finally, I don't blame Frimpong for leaving to further himself. I don't blame any player for looking to see their ambitions matched. Ideally, it would be a Celtic. But as we have seen over the years, our ambition is usually limited.

When you think about it. He has been a shell of the individual/personality he was a year ago. He cut a frustrated figure most of the season and bar the Scottish Cup Final, we rarely saw the happy individual when he burst into the team.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021