1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Jozef Venglos

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 26, 2021.

Discuss RIP Jozef Venglos in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Ghirl Friday

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, Let the People Sing
    RIP Dr Jo a man ahead of his time. Thanks for the gift from * in Lubo

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  2. TheHappyLoss

He was, mind big Stubbs saying recently the players couldn’t believe the difference in their stamina as Dr Jo taught them breathing techniques. Gave us the great 5-1 night against the scum. After everyone in the pub had a kinda stunned happiness about them. Will never forget that night. RIP Dr Jo

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tom Boyd was captain of the Celtic team which stopped the 10 back in 1998, and he was still wearing the armband the following season when Dr Jozef Venglos was appointed Celtic manager.

And the Hoops legend paid tribute to his former manager following his sad passing this week at the age of 84.

“Dr Jo was always a perfect gentleman any time you met him, whether that was during the year he was at Celtic, or any time after that,” said Boyd. “He was very softy-spoken, he was very intelligent and he obviously knew the game really well.

“He brought a few good players in to Celtic as well – Lubo, Johan, Vidar Riseth and Mark Viduka – to enhance the team, and he also brought some different training methods and different ideas into the club.

'The most memorable game of that season was obviously the 5-1 win over Rangers at Celtic Park.'

"That was a great game, and up until recent years, when you said ‘the 5-1 game’, that’s the one everyone remembered. And the only disappointing thing on the day was that it could have been more.”

Dr Jo came to Celtic in July 1998, and was in charge of the team for that 1998/99 season. The Slovakian football legend brought with him a wealth of football experience, and he continued to be involved in the game for many years after leaving Celtic.

“I remember meeting him in Seville at the UEFA Cup final, when he was a representative of either UEFA or FIFA,” said Tom Boyd. “We met him after the game, and he was just so nice to talk to, as always, and he was so complimentary about Celtic, so he was certainly somebody that we wish would have been able to go and win something during his time at the club.”

buchanbhoy likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    R.I.P. Dr Jo, thanks for the memories :shamrock:

6. saltire78

RIP Doc.

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    haha I remember that 5-1 night so fondly still too. I was just getting my round of drinks when we scored and barely got them down and was still jumping and celebrating and hugging that I missed the huns consolation and when the game finished and I saw the score was 5-1 I was like what the * when did the huns score.

RIP Dr Jo and thank you for Lubo.

8. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

9. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I really liked Dr Jo and thought he had us playing some great stuff that season. We were actually pretty close to winning the league that year and fought back from being about 16 points behind.

If we'd have won at St Johnstone we'd have went into the shame game against them at Celtic Park and if we'd have won that we'd have over taken them to top spot. But we didnt win at St Johnstone and we played them in the shame game with what felt like about 20 injuries. We signed Scott Marshal on an emergency loan deal from Arsenal (he was brutal) and had Wieghorst and Riseth playing at centre half with Brattbaak playing midfield. It wasnt to be and as we all know Hugh Dallas had a great game for them also.

But * Rest You Dr Joe.....you were unknown when you arrived....but you are well known now...

10. terrasidius Sonic Attack Orchestrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Lambo, Larsson, Sutton, Nakamura, Rogic, Virgil, Dembele, Turnbull, Jota & Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG, Grace, Celtic Symphony, Orchestrated Sonic Attack
    RIP Doc. He's got the rebs oan up there as we speak. :54: