1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How far do you reckon the clear out needs to go?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Celticbhoy97, Jan 11, 2021.

Discuss How far do you reckon the clear out needs to go? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just reckon would be easier list whose to stay.
    I would be all for keeping Brown as a coach, make Ajer captain, convince him to stay.

Frimprong, Taylor, Ajer, big CJ and Walsh.
    Soro Turnbull Connell CalMac
    Griff
    Not saying that these should be first choice, but would be a starting point for a base squad.

Thats it for me, all others oot the door.
    All coaches, Woods and O'Dea included, also out.
    Woods has to take the fall for the Barks * show.
    Just seen nothing-except Walsh-to justify keeping anyone from the youth set up.
    Besides, a new manager will want all his own people in.
    Forgot but Forrest should also stay.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Sydneysider likes this.
  2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    The lot top to bottom.

I'm at the stage I don't care who we'd sell now.

James Mc likes this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Get rid of all 3 keeper's
    Elhamed gone at right back, Ralston away
    Laxalt and Taylor gone at left back, Boli sold
    Duffy, Bitton gone and Ajer sold, Hendry sold
    Broony retired, Christie sold, Rogic gone, Ntcham sold
    Mo gone, Shved let go
    Edouard sold, Griff gone, Bayo away

Can see something like this happening..

Massive rebuild..

2 new keeper's

New right back/ Frimpong
    Jullien/ new centre back
    New centre back/ new centre back/ Welsh
    2 new left back's

Soro/ Connell
    Turnbull/ New centre mid/ Robertson
    McGregor/ new centre mid

New left winger/ Mikey
    Forrest/ new right winger

New striker/ Ajeti
    New striker/ Klimala

We could really be doing with doing a fair bit of work in this window but ideally we want a new manager in and plenty changes above first..

I'd get rid of Ntcham and Elhamed for starter's and release send the loan player's back if possible..

That would be Ntcham, Elhamed, Mo, Duffy and Laxalt..

The 3 loan's won't be cheap in wages at all..

5-7 mill for our 2 player's and I'd imagine over 100 grand off the wage bill..

Ideally want to snap up some pre contracts like Pearson and Davies, as well as bringing in a couple this window. Will make the rebuild less drastic/daunting in the summer..

New keeper

New right back
    Jullien
    New centre half
    New left back

Soro
    McGregor
    Turnbull

Forrest
    New striker although fancy Ajeti to come good
    New left winger

Needing about 5 or 6 first team starter's. Isn’t easy..

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

As tragic as this season is, the thought of a new start from top to bottom is quite exciting with guys like Robertson and Connell getting chances, with guys like Jullien still here to lead the team. The pressure of 10 gone. We go again. That’s only if we get the changes we need staff and board wise.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Agreed mate..

Trying to look at the positives but wholesale changes across the board..

Getting rid of deadwood and wantaways..

Promoting youth and some freshness but in the right way. No chucked in like we did against Hibs with zero game plan..

It can and needs to be done. Hopefully it is and we can move on again..

MacEwan likes this.
  6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Only thing I'd disagree with is Griffiths. He still has something to offer us if a manager knuckles down on him. Elyounoussi, I'd try to keep permanently. He has something to offer us too imo.

The rest I agree with. * of a challenge but for the right manager it would be nice to mould the club from the off. A clean slate.

Getting the right manager is key to everything on the pitch next season.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I hear you pm Griffiths but he's 31 in August and has played his sorry part in this shambles of a season as well. That can't be ignored..

I think it's best he's moved on..

Love Tam but again, fitness issue's for different reason's and can't get a long enough turn out of him..

Bitton..

There's plenty of these that need to be sent on their way now. Cant have a rebuild with these senior guy's still knocking about picking up a wage and no contributing enough..

Get new men in and let them bring their own types in..

I like Mo but he flatters to deceive too often for what we'd need to pay for him..

Hammy89 likes this.
  8. Foley1888

Where I cannot see the above happening this is how I see it as well. It’s another reason why getting a new manager in at the start of the month or before would have made sense. As you have pointed out the turnover in the squad is huge you could be looking at anything up to 18 players going between high value players contracts expiring and they won’t sign a new one, guys we have on loan, retiring and the players we have farmed out on loan that don’t appear to have a future you are already at 13 players and that doesn’t include the likes of Ralston, at least one of the GK, Harper if he goes, Bitton or Rogic. If most of these players move on you would hope it should generate a minimum of £45m- 50m but hopefully a bit more.

If that sort of volume leaves and money comes in spending around £20mish on a minimum 10 players potentially a couple more shouldn’t be out the question .

GK- I would go for Marcus Bettinelli (having a good season at Middlesbrough or Lorenzo Montipo both are bosman options and solid reliable GK’s.

RB- I would move for Ryan Nyambe at Blackburn, he is quick, strong and decent on the ball. He is also a bosman. Alternatively Jonas Svensson of Alkmaar is also a bosman come the summer.

LB- I would move for Mladen Devetak who is a Serbian U21 international full back and can also slot in at left CB. He has that determination that reminds me of Tierney and looks one who is already good but will also be able to be coached to improve further. Probably cost around £1.5-£2m.

CB- I would move for Riechedly Bazoer at Vitesse who would be able to replace Ajer’s ability to bring the ball out from the back and is also comfortable operating as a DM. Probs between £3-4m. Ben Davies, hopefully we offer him a decent deal and he comes as a left sided CB, alternatively Sinisa Sanicanin is a Bosnian international Left Centre Back who is a bosman or available now for a small fee. Denis Kollinger would be good cover for Julien again his contract is up at the end of the season and he is a giant at 6ft 6. Other options include the highly rated Valentin Antov who impressed in the Europa League this season but had big clubs linked for him costing about £4m or Joseph Okumu of Elfsborg who would be around £2m had a good season last year and the last Kenyan we signed turned out not bad. I would sign 3 out of those.

CM I would look to get two off Ben Pearson who we are linked with, Alex Mowatt of Barnsley another bosman and the likes of Patrick Berg from Bodo/Glimt or Simon Olsson as players who could compliment what we have both would likely cost around £2.5m. More attacking options are FCSB Florian Tanase (bosman) or exciting player Olimpiu Morutan (£3mish) or more experienced at 28 but with a goal every other game is Hadjuk Split’s Mijo Caktas, again available as a bosman.

For RW I would look at Dennis Man of FCSB, he would not come cheap but if we were going to play with a front three or 4-2-3-1 he is a wide player that chips in with plenty of goals. He would probably cost £6 or 7m but at 22 has real potential to develop and be worth substantially more. Isaac Mbenza on a bosman would be a cheaper alternative who already is based in the UK with Huddersfield.

On the left Queensy Menig is a good goal scoring winger at Twente whose deal is up and at 25 is reaching his peak years. Alternatively Marco Grull of SV Ried is an exciting player with plenty of pace and a good finisher, he’s also an Austrian U21 international and available as a bosman.

As a striker I like Jorgen Strand Larsen (as mentioned before) he is the type of player who could link the game well and has big potential to earn a tidy profit in the future. I reckon he would cost around £5m (he moved for less than a £1m in the summer but is getting noticed). Sydney Van Hooijdonk is another bosman low risk but high potential player. Kasper Junker of Bodo Glimt (£3m) amongst a handful of other more experienced bosmans such as Livaja or Durdan could make a good partner for a more expensive option if we plan to play two up top. Tanase mentioned above has also been playing as a striker this season as well as a AM.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  9. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Needs to start

10. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

In terms of management, coaching staff, and board members, I don’t think we could do any worse if we got rid of everyone.

I honestly don’t think the clear out needs to be as drastic as some are making out within the playing squad.

Brown, Ntcham and Rogic are completely ineffective on a football pitch for different reasons and are finished at Celtic.

The loanees will go back to their clubs. For me Elyounoussi is a really good player under the right manger but may be out of our price range.

Two of Edouard, Ajer and McGregor will be sold.

I’m adamant theres the core of a really good team there.

11. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    The management team and Lawwell should go

Players sold
    Barkas
    Elhamed
    Ralston
    Bitton
    Christie
    Rogic
    Ntcham
    Kamala
    Eddie
    Hendry
    Boli
    Shved
    Bayo

Players keep
    Bain
    Jullien
    Taylor
    Frimpong
    Ajer
    Welsh
    Soro
    Turnbull
    Mikey johnston
    Mcgregor
    Forrest
    Griff
    Ajeti

Players loaned
    Hazard
    Connell
    Henderson

Players returned/released
    Duffy
    Laxalt
    Brown
    Moi
    Dembele

Players needed
    Goalkeeper
    Centre back
    Centre back
    Right back
    Left back
    Def midfield
    number 10
    Right wing
    Left wing
    Striker
    Striker

Thats a full starting 11 needed

Potential of 50m out the door and 50m in the door.

So the decision on who picks these players is huge. Its a call desmond must get right

12. Sydneysider

True ! : Wee Jamesie ( aaah love his little socks ) we would have been truly * this season without wee little 29 yr old ( 800 Thousand quid a year ) Jamesie

First out the door Bitton then wee lickle Jamesie

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  13. Barry Robson

Even if the club got 50m in, the manager will see about 15m of it, no chance would he see the full amount or even half of it

14. Dip 'n' Swerve

Easier to say in 12-18 months who do you still want at the club!
    Soro, Turnbull, Griff, Welsh, Ajer

15. Dip 'n' Swerve

For me Elyounoussi is a really good player under the right manger but may be out of our price range. - I wouldn't even pay 3 million for him, where is the hype from? He plays for 5 mins in a game then become part of the furniture - he is not direct, cannot cross a ball, he loses the ball a lot with attacks breaking down - not for me at all! that sparta winger karlsson is only one example of a cheaper better product.

we need good direct players with natural width - remember agathe :(

16. Dip 'n' Swerve

you must be flat out on championship manager lol
    I like Darren Randolph as a keeper - safe hands rarely starts games and wealth of experience incl. big games too.

The problem is celtic are a cheap club and they have cut a large number of their European scouts - they would need to get the scouting infrastructure back up and running and not rely on blood sucking agents to spin their players.

Austria, Swiss and Czech seem to be producing a lot of good players atm - we need something asap a high impact signings to hit the ground running.

17. Foley1888

On Championship Manager, I don’t play it, I did when I was younger.

Being honest it has party been brought in from working from home, enjoying football, and having seen how poor our recruitment has been of late and sort of testing the theory that all good players, particularly young ones are snapped up by big club academies.

Where the later has made things harder, there are still plenty of cracking players out there and if we bothered to look beyond our old lists and contacts then we might actually sign a few who can have an immediate impact on the team.

18. Dip 'n' Swerve

with academies etc, they cannot bring lads in for trials, take Brexit etc makes it difficult for passports and residency etc.

I see it so often, young players who have potential and the correct skillset, but they think they are big time charlies - run about with designer washbags, alexander mc queens and any other expensive pieces of kit and take their eyes and focus on improving and continually developing. they get surrounded with 'hanger-ons' and it is so sad and frustrating to see!

think islam feruz… think gael kukuta, francis Jeffers, charly musonda etc etc…

always liked Scandinavia players - same type of leagues, weather etc - I don't know way the recruitment side is atm, but I know it has been ripped to shreds and good people and been let go which is a shame.

imagine a midfield 3 of ajer, turnbull and mc ginn - if only!!??

I think in a celtic future team ajer at right back would be the start of the rebuild, turnbull in the middle
    soro and another defensive mid competing
    a solid keeper
    2 x quick strong centre halfs.
    a left back who can get up and down the line - meling for rosenborg was in our faces for 6 odd games how did we not act is beyond me!

good direct wingers who can take players on a 1 v 1

a striker with good aerial ability

19. Martybhoy53

Lawwell
    Lennon
    Bankier
    Hammond
    Scouting team
    Barkas
    Bain
    Hazard
    Ralston
    El Hamed
    Ajer
    Duffy
    Bitton
    Bolingoli
    Brown
    Ntcham
    Christie
    Shved
    Ajeti
    Griffiths
    Klimala
    Edouard
    Bayo

Get them to *.

20. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    We should be doing all we can to sign Ajer up to a new deal.

Hes the best right back and also best centre back at the club.

Id hand him the arm band if it convinces him to stay