1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How far do you reckon the clear out needs to go?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Celticbhoy97, Jan 11, 2021.

Discuss How far do you reckon the clear out needs to go? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheHappyLoss

Think Desmond, Lawwell and Lennon have to go. If Desmond was still interested he’d have done something way before now. Letting the club stumble from disaster to disaster on and off the park has been sheer negligence on his part. Bring someone in who gives a *

2. Foley1888

In the player department it isn’t so much needing a huge clear out but a pretty much enforced one due to age, contract status and loans.

This summer we will lose Laxalt (starting left back), Duffy (back up CB), Ajer (starting CB), Elhamed (back up right back), Brown (been mainstay in team before recently for years at CM), Christie (regular starter CM, RW or AM), Ntcham (back up CM), Moi (LW option) and Edouard (missing talisman and main ST).

Thats 9 players who regularly feature in the match day squad. That’s not even taking into account should someone put an offer in for McGregor, or the fact that guys like Ajeti, Barkas, Klimala, Boli, Shved, Bayo who have all been signed in the last couple of years have not proven themselves to be kind or have completely flopped for the later names on the list.

I do agree a good manager would get a lot more out this team and there are players there that have development potential but it would be surprising if we don’t see some serious transfer activities both out as above and in.

By hanging on to Lennon and co we are only making the job of any new manager harder, when it inevitably happens.

Delivery man, mayo and King of Kings like this.
  3. Lewis Kerr

I mean no offence to they two, but what the *? You'd be sceptical about them coaching your kid's Sunday league team.

What is the criteria for a Celtic coach these days? Scottish/Irish with some sort of Celtic "connection"? What about things like experience, knowledge and skill set, are they even qualified? Or do we just disregard basic requirements in favour of jobs for the boys?

MagicBallBhoy and Valhalla like this.
  4. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I also think whoever deals with the club's PR should be hunted. I've lost count the number of times I've said to myself "how the * was he allowed to say that" and the recent comments from players, the manager and/or the lack of comments re Dubai etc. need addressed. The SMSM are having a field day just now attacking our club (some of it deserved) and our PR team really should be working to address some of it. We should also be looking at taking anyone from the SMSM or TV companies who regularly attack our team and/or print blatant lies about us to task. Oh for another Paul McBride or Bunnet

5. CountyDownFaithful

Nothing surprises me these days when it comes to Celtic. It’s tough to be positive when we’ve sleepwalked from one avoidable disaster to another this season.

But I cannot believe the silence from the Club since the Dubai fiasco. Their arrogance stinks.

I don’t often agree with Andy Walker but this isn’t the club we all know and love. The supporters are being treated like muck.

6. mayo

Good post. Frightening to think how Lennon and Hammond would spent that money

7. Easter Rd Davie Once a Celt, Always a Celt Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    In The Heat of Lisbon
    Great post:50::ynwacelti

8. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Lawwell , Lennon and all backroom staff apart from Stevie Woods should be out the door

9. jambo_cfc

Lawwell , lennon , strachan , and the rest of the backroom staff , would have kept stevie woods but believe he would have had a say in gks weve signed and maybe time to look elsewhere and have a fresh

Would bring in martinez , maloney and duff if possible

player wise would get rid of

barkas
    Bain
    Hazard
    Frimpong
    Laxalt (loan end)
    Duffy (loan end)
    Bitton
    Brown(retire)
    Christie
    Ajeti
    Nchtam
    Rogic
    Elhamed

would try sign moi as i think with a gd manager he could be a good player for us

10. DonnyCelt

Board room level: Definitely Desmond, Bankier and Lawwell.

Management and recruitment: Lennon, Kennedy, Strachan and Hammond.

Playing squad: Every player bar Turnbull and Soro can go for me.

11. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

just had a thought he might be trying a coup to get more shares on the cheap, you never know, wouldnt be a good thing in my book, share price has crashed this season

dont like this trend of billionaire owners of football clubs, because they will always find a way of making sure its not their money that disappears at the end of the day

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  12. CountyDownFaithful

Forget about the management and board for a minute, there is not many players that are worth keeping for next season.

I’d only keep McGregor, Forrest, Soro, Turnbull, Jullien, Frimpong. Some of them shouldn’t be guaranteed starts though.

Ajer, Edouard, Christie, Ntcham should all be sold because ultimately they don’t want to be here. Duffy, Laxalt, Moi all back to parent clubs.

Players like Rogic and Bitton are stealing a wage. Their best days are long gone.

Then there’s question marks over everyone else basically - are they good enough? do they have the right mentality?

Ajeti
    Elhamed
    Griffiths
    Taylor
    Bain
    Barkas
    Klimala
    Brown

13. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Our squad of players are good enough to win the league, I'm certain of that.
    Our management team and the boardroom are were our problems are.

A decent coach would have us performing better than we are currently.

14. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    Bain
    Elhamed
    Ajer
    Duffy
    Laxalt
    Christie
    Brown
    Ntcham
    Edouard

Lennon
    Strachan
    Kennedy

Lawwell

All of them can GTF

15. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    As long as Lawwell, Lennon and Brown goes then the rest should take care if itself.

It won’t be as simple for Desmond unless we have some sort of takeover.

16. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I don't get why people keep talking about a "clear out".

With the exception of Broony, Christie (who's a *) Taylor (gives 100 just not good enough)... and obviously that utter dump truck from Brighton.

I'd even give Barkas more time considering he's joined at a time when we are absolutely on our *.

This is a great great squad imo.

Easily the best squad in the country by light years. The notion that Sevco are better if not equal is * embarrassing. They've have a squad of * with maybe two... max three who would make our matchday squad. They just aren't being run by an utter *.

A squad who should be competing in the CL group stages without a doubt, and is better than EVERY opposition faced in the qualifiers the past 2 years.

The problem is the management.

Lennon is not alone, the ENTIRE coaching set up needs scrapped.

Even saying that, ANY half decent manager should have us top of the league by a good breath.

Unreal that some of you think we need a "clear out".

17. Sydneysider

I think we do.

Problem is that four or five of the "best" players have been planning their next move to La Liga or whatever for the last year or two. Last year Boyata forced his move, Boli-Bolix worked his too.

Their agents promised them their glamour move to a bigger club and flasher league ( a la Van Dyck etc !) more $$$, more girls, nicer location and now they are impatient

Rogic was looking forward to early semi-retirement in Saudi (iirc) last year and failed ! , will probably end up back at CC Mariners.

Bitton has treated the Club with contempt. He couldnt give a * , he is a grasping, lazy xxxx.

Forrest : always a lightweight and the heart of a mouse. Where is he ? Oh injured again.

Barkas / Hazard : just not good enough.

18. Foley1888

I agree management both of the club and coaching of the team is the big problem but the squad needs a pretty significant revamp.

As mentioned earlier a clear out is inevitable. The way we work as a club we look to sell when we get a good player. Edouard, Ajer, Ntcham and Christie all have contracts expiring in 2022 and none of them will sign a new one so we either sell now or in the summer or lose them for nothing and have no funds to replace them where with the exception of Ajer the rest continue to put half arsed performances in.

We have tried the three Goalkeepers we have at the club and none have been able to hold down a first team place. If Barkas is to prove himself he better hurry up and start actually trying to save anything that is hit either side of him.

Three of our other potential starters are all
    loans so if you punt Taylor as suggested we have no left full back. On the other side we only have Frimpong, as Elhamed is injured all the time and seems to want a move away. If Ajer and Duffy go we have one senior CB and a pretend one in Bitton who just isn’t one and is a liability.

Brown’s done as you say, if Ntcham and Christie go we are an injury away from having no midfielder who can actually tackle. We have one right and left winger who both have suspect injury records and currently no strikers who look capable of being our main goal scorer, with our talisman from last year wanting away, a striker who can’t be relied on to stay fit, and two we have signed that are not at it so far.

19. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The who club structure needs changed. Obviously we need to replace that pretender Lennon and his goons. Then we need to restructure above that with a proper DoF to stop or limit PL from interfering. Preferably PL should go too.

20. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Don't know what squad you're watching mate. The squad I see is full of players who either - aren't good enough, never will be good enough, don't want to be here, are on loan, whose time is at/coming to an end or was at an end some time ago.

IMO there is about 10 of the 1st team squad that should be or are good enough to be retained, even then some of them only as back up.

Hazard(as no2)
    Jullien
    Frimpong(as back up to a new r/b until he's actually ready)
    Mcgregor
    Turnbull
    Soro
    Forrest ( but with a view to phasing out over the next couple of seasons)
    Klimala( as back up)
    Johnston??(needs to start doing stuff between now and the end of the season to justify the hype and needs to hit the gym)

Would also like to keep Ajer and give him the armband but he will probably be sold for the biggest fee.

That's probably too much of a turnaround for one window though.