1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

An experienced Director of Football with global contacts and the mandate and strength of character to revamp the whole footballing operation.. From Scouting, youth setup, sports science and recruitment.. Setting out a solid vision for the next 10yrs, that we do not waver from, regardless of changing personell in coaching and playing staff.

Backed by a new board where we the fans have some sort of voice.

And a young vibrant manager..

Howe or Duff.

Callum McGregor and Peej like this.
  2. jambo_cfc

could have a damian duff effect but he comes accross quite withdrawn and quiet in interviews so dont know how he would be as a manger

3. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    If you're trying to compare berti vogts to ralf rangnick, then please put the aerosol down and open a window.
    A think klopps done not a bad job outside Germany, wouldn't you agree?

4. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I really should’ve been as pensive as this before I scoffed at the prospect. A few good points.

5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    On the same week we hear rumours that change is coming Phil Neville announces he’s stepping away from women’s teams at end of season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Dude

He's off to Inter Miami.

7. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Was a wee joke mate

Wullywanbaw likes this.
  8. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Mate all they points would tick the boxes for someone like larsson to be our next manager but It’s been proven umpteen times doing these achievements as a player doesn’t necessarily mean you would be a good manager, , before LennonS * ups this season John Barnes probably the best football player ever to manage Celtic and up their with our worst manager s ever, Big jock probably up there with one of the worst football players to manage Celtic and our best manager ever

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Managed to get rangnick as my director of football on fm was bit of a coup

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I see where you're going with this....

Attached Files:

JML67 and jj81 like this.
  11. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Is it to be Wazza Rooney? Mon then

12. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Hardly any of those points I made about Rooney would apply to Barnes when he joined us though. Barnes never achieved half of what Rooney has in football, he was never a top player on the European stage, he played most of his career at a time when English football used mainly British players and coaches. He was a relic of a bygone era of football, and as it turns out, not a very good manager.

I'm not saying I think Rooney will be a good manager, but his C.V. is completely different. He has a trophy cabinet that would rival most football club's, he's been surrounded by some of the top names in European football since he was a boy, he played at the top level throughout the modern era of football and seen all the changes that have come with it.

It's not just about how good they were at football. It's about their experience and knowledge of the game. And fair enough, that doesn't exactly translate into managerial ability. But comparing Barnes and Rooney's influence in the game is like chalk and cheese. Wayne Rooney is one of the most famous footballers worldwide over the last 20 years. Guys like Edouard and Ajeti probably had Man United shirts and posters of him when they were in school. I think he even edges out Larsson in that regard.

13. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    My example was actually henrik larrson, just saying great players don’t always make a good manager regardless of how good they were as a player, Diego Maradona couldn’t hack it as a manager even with the Argentina team and I’m sure every player in the Argentina squad had strips and posters of Maradona growing up but regardless of that he was still a poor manager

14. Batigol

Not really a fan of the Rooney suggestion. In effect it'd be copying what happened in govan, with very similar positives and negatives, and only due to covid does that guy still have a job anyway.

But in general, it seems picking a manager based on skills, experience, trophies, or supposed knowledge of the game can still go badly wrong.

Gary Neville a decent example, fantastic record/pedigree as a player, can analyse the game extremely well, but completely failed as a manager. Others in recent times too, like Viera, Henry and Arteta to an extent, all of whom were tipped to be potentially great managers.

15. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Would be a gamble (like most) but Phillip cocu would be my choice. He would bring European experience (playing/managing), European connections and a decisive way of playing. I feel he got a bit unlucky at derby, proven ability to identify and develop young players (he brought through the likes of depay wijnaldum bruma at psv knight (unreal player) bird Sibley at derby). Cocu also has shown an ability at times to play defensive football, not your typical Dutch style, he won two leagues with psv during a period of dominance by Ajax. He would be a manager that would retain the respect of the players (he text every derby player indivually when he was leaving rather than telling them to "* off" on the bench). Club is packed with young talent, a massive rebuild on the cards and we won't be spending big in the market for the foreseeable.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Was one of the names floated about when Lennon was interim. He should definitely be on our shortlist (if we even have one)...

Dublin Celt likes this.
  17. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Well Larsson has already had a bad time as a manager and took a step back from it, and Maradona was constantly * with booze and coke.

Anyway, I don't even want Rooney to be our manager. As someone suggested it just sounds like the newspapers trying to guess our next move based on the huns.

18. jambo_cfc

Although i would love someone like rangnick or bielsa i think we need to look long term this time , someone who will be about 3 or 4 seasons ! Martinez and howe are the obvious choices but if brentford dont go up this year i would seriously look at thomas frank and ask if he would be interested!

on another note brentford is the model we should be looking to follow!! They use the method that monchi has been so successful with and have reaped the benefits

19. Foley1888

Philip Cocu is a good shout, Derby was a disaster but it sounds like that clubs a disaster at the moment. His PSV achievements were great.

Sergei Rebrov is another who has done similarly well. When he took over Dynamo Kiev they were languishing in 4th in the league at the end of the 13/14 season he then managed to win back to back titles in 14/15 and 15/16 breaking Shakhtar’s 5 year winning run. In those two seasons he reached the 1/4 final of the Europa league and last 16 of CL. Came second in his last season there but lost a lot of star players who weren’t replaced.

He went to Middle East for a season and his record there was good before doing very well at Ferencvaros since getting that gig. The only thing is it was well publicised that he was on good bonuses at Ferencvaros so may not want the move but if he has ambitions of getting to EPL it could be appealing to him.

For a DOF Rangnick would be ideal but seems highly unlikely. Although if we were to get rid of Lawwell and Hammond those roles could be changed to have someone focus on the commercial/ business side of the club and someone the football side including transfers and all teams from first team to youth teams up. If that was done then it may be something we could have sold to him. However it sounds like we are getting Desmond’s boy.

A more out of the box suggestion would be the Bodo Glimt DOF Aasmund Bjorkan who has done well to bring through young players and also sign players from more obscure markets. It maybe a little to Ronny Delia- esq but could be another option who has done very well there.

Svend Graversen from Midtjylland is another DOF who has seen them grow as a club and sign some great players again from obscure markets.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    To be fair to Neville he picked Valencia of all places have to remember you are dealing with humans at end of the day some experience goes a long way no matter the qualifications you have having no grasp of Spanish language to get a point cross fully probably didn’t help

W33kev likes this.