1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Damien Duff - Manager?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by D'Ecosse, Nov 7, 2020.

Discuss Damien Duff - Manager? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

I remember one of his children had a serious heart surgery but that was back in his playing days.

Personally, I think he would’ve stated if he was leaving for family reasons.

I also think it’s unlikely he’s fallen out with Kenny. He was firmly behind him over the ‘motivational video’ incident before the England game and spoke passionately about it when doing punditry recently.

Looks like he could’ve landed a big job or a job that he just couldn’t turn down. And it’s yet to be announced, hence no reasons given the statement? Guesswork. Very unlikely to be Celtic IMO

2. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

There’s no doubt that was an attempt to sabotage Kenny and the new set up. All of the management team were very annoyed about it but the investigation has closed and nothing came of it.

Unlikely to be behind his decision IMO.

3. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    "Obviously it's up to us staff not to make any more motivational videos because, even if they are based on true, historical events, Irish events that you should be proud of, they can be very offensive to some people. So, we'll stay away from that next time, (on) the match".

He does sound a bit *. Enough to quit though?

Get him back here as Assistant.

4. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I took the * No option.

Big C likes this.
  5. Buster

Why are Quatar in a European qualifying group when they're the hosts?

6. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

"Preparation"

Buster likes this.
  7. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Probably a good no2 but not a leader. Wasn’t it because he was away from his family he left,has that changed ?

8. david100825

No. As a coach again maybe. You should need a track record as a successful manager to manage Celtic.

9. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Bang on mate.

When Damien Duff contacted Stephen Kenny over Christmas to let him know that he wished to leave his role on the Republic of Ireland coaching staff, the manager was understandably taken aback.

But this was not a complete bolt from the blue, as the Irish Examiner can reveal how the Ireland centurion had been willing to tender his resignation during a fraught meeting with former FAI interim CEO Gary Owens back in November.

As part of the investigation into the use of the now infamous motivational video in the Wembley dressing room prior to last year’s friendly with England, Duff passionately expressed his view that there was nothing to be sorry for after famous moments in Irish history, such as the 1916 Rising, were depicted.

And he was adamant that he would not stand over any statement of apology from the FAI regarding the video.

Indeed, rather than any fallout with Kenny, sources indicate that Duff no longer wished to work for the FAI, and that the drama relating to a leak about the video had taken its toll.

Despite Kenny’s best attempts to persuade him to remain part of the set-up, Duff stood firm into the New Year and his exit was finalised over the last few days.

Last night’s statement from the FAI landed at 9.41pm, believed to be another source of annoyance for Duff, and others, as they didn’t want the story to break at such a late hour.

The news was also greeted with shock by those within the dressing room. One source described Duff’s departure as “a massive blow”, another explained that “he was the main link between players and staff.” Many in the squad had come to “adore” Duff because of how he operated on the training pitch, as well as his use of sharp video analysis and also on a personal basis.

“There is no bullshit with him, he gets his message through very well,” a source added.

The sense of loss is also felt by FAI staff, some of whom describe Duff as an engaging presence (even with Covid restrictions) around the camps, much more so than fellow legendary figure Robbie Keane who was part of the previous regime under Mick McCarthy.

Ireland’s record goal scorer is still an FAI employee but there is no chance of Kenny turning to him to fill the void left by Duff.

The Irish Examiner understands there is no hard feelings between the two men, with Duff’s “single-minded” nature a trait to be admired, yet there can be no getting away from the optics of his departure.

Especially as Ireland are without a without a win in Kenny’s first eight games and the World Cup qualifying campaign is just over two months away, but the Ireland manager is understood to accept Duff’s reasoning for wanting to step away.

As some players and staff began to learn of the news last night, the shock quickly wore off, with a source adding: “I presumed it was video-related when I heard he (Duff) was on the warpath.”

The way in which the FAI dealt with the fallout from “Videogate” must not be discounted. And such was Duff’s depth of anger over how the Association added to the controversy, which the Daily Mail in England whipped up by describing the motivational tool as “anti-English”, he is understood to have lambasted Owens and the FAI in a tense one-on-one interview at Abbotstown.

A statement released by the FAI, so often almost bashful to mundane press enquiries, said they were “looking into this (video) internally as a matter of urgency.”

eire4, oh bhoy, Gabriel and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Give him the job. :84:

oh bhoy, SwissCelt and Gabriel like this.
  11. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Get the Rebs on before every game, way to go Duff

12. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    More chance of Lawrie from Deniston becoming next manager.

jj81 likes this.
  13. jj81

Get him in

If ye struggle tae sleep he would be great after sportscene

Sonic Reducer likes this.
  14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

This is basically what I have been hearing as well. This is essentially Duff being * off at the FAI not at Stephen Kenny and good for him I say. There was never a thing wrong with that video ever. I see today that goalkeeping coach Alan Kelly also has now resigned his role. The claim being it is due to covid but certainly interesting timing coming just after Damian Duff leaving.

As for Damian Duff and Celtic. I do not think he is ready to be our next manager but would love to see him back as a coach.

15. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Quite fecking right. Would there have been an enquiry if the England team had watched the Dambusters or if the Scottish squad had watched Braveheart to gee them up. ?

Dan Breen and Gabriel like this.
  16. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'd take him. I think he has the makings of a good manager - good coach and man manager and appears to not take any * so might stand up to our board. A good attacker and must have ideas on how to break down a packed defence which for me is our biggest problem. If he goes somewhere else, is successful and gets a job in the EPL then we might have missed the boat. I think he's worth the risk. Every good/great manager was a rookie once.

17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sounds like he has a set of balls.
    I guess Celtic cannot take him back the now, ne manager coming in just might not fancy him.