1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How far do you reckon the clear out needs to go?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Celticbhoy97, Jan 11, 2021.

Discuss How far do you reckon the clear out needs to go? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dip 'n' Swerve

I know hen Rodgers was in he asked for a dembele backup to integrate into the team and lee congerton got French eddie at the time - lennon takes on no vision - we should already have replace eddie for when he leaves (which I reckon after dembeles loan to buy deal - we will get somewhere between 10 and 14 mill ) - but with no vision we are now looking at a total new rebuild rather than a phased approach.

Their keeper last night would have been better than Barkas fs - Hammond needs to go, hasn't a scooby do

2. Dip 'n' Swerve

start now plan for next season when the window is open - the league is toast.

buchanbhoy and Hammy89 like this.
  3. Bonobhoy

Outside Turnbull and Soro ...the full lot I wish would just * off now.

* like McGregor, Logic, Brown are all has beens now.

And then you got the ultimate * like Ed, Ntcham,Duffy, that think they are better than what they are can run off to a mediocre premiership side at best.

However knowing us....a majority of these dicks will be here still in 6 months

Sad days ahead

buchanbhoy likes this.
  4. Big C

I’m not even sure BR was a success if we include some of our embarrassing European adventures. The football initially was brilliant and there’s absolutely no doubt we were more professional, even the pitch is a shambles now. One issue we will have is who and when for our next manager. This is a tricky one because, he may not be available now and appointing someone for the sake of it may prove to be false economy so to speak. Onwards and upwards as soon as we appoint a higher calibre if manager and get the scouting system sorted which is also a cluster by the look of it.

5. CountyDownFaithful

Utter disbelief is the main emotion right now.

This has been the mother of all capitulations. If the club are intent on outdoing the Huns banter years, then it’s about the only thing they’ve managed this season.

What pains me is there is no one taking responsibility for this disaster of a season. There is no reason to justify why Lennon is still in a job and Lawwell’s time has been up for a long time. The fact no one is prepared to stand up and take responsibility just demonstrates that the club is riddled with ‘yes men’.

None of them care for the club the way we do. If they did, they would hold their hands up and admit that this season has been an unmitigated disaster. There is no communication with fans.

At this point I don’t see things getting better, it’s going to get worse.

MagicBallBhoy and KRS-1888 like this.
  6. ddub11

Wouldnt put Duffy in the same boat as Ed,Ntcham.

Duffy is * with little talent but he tries(as bad as he is)them other two have buckets of talent but dont make the effort,They are a disgrace to the jersey and its a disgrace they are even allowed to put the jersey on.

Bonobhoy and ArturBorucCSC like this.
  7. Foley1888

Top to bottom is certainly the way to go but cannot see it happening. For a start the decision making power rests with a handful of people who are either on the Board or its their pals that are. Unless they see us slide further I cannot see many major shareholders in a rush to sell at this stage as our value is already down.

Sadly, I cannot see it but the club need to get back to being a football club and less of a PLC. I am not talking about being reckless but it’s clear to see that those who have got serious cash in the club are holding out for some miracle move to EPL or taking control of our own media which had been talked about for years and never happened. Money that is earned by the club should be invested back in to it in a sustainable fashion, not spent on disco lights and other commercial tokens.

Our youth setup has become a total joke you only have to look at last night to realise what we are producing is no where near the required standard and there is no clear pathway to the first team. We were meant to be improving that from the days of Maloney, McGeady, Beattie and even the likes of McManus and ODea coming through but it’s clearly went backwards. KT was only discovered by chance after being pretty much left in the wilderness and McGregor due to a productive loan spell a route we fail to utilise properly often enough.

Lawwell has to go 17 years is a very long time to hold on to the same CEO in any walk of life and it is clear we need some fresh thinking in this department.

Lennon and his coaching staff need to go and I mean most of them. Woods should stay and potentially a few others but the main ones Kennedy and Strachan need ousted too.

Hammond needs to go and be replaced by someone who has not been a failure in their previous job. It astounds me that our last two head of recruitments have been guys who have managed to get clubs relegated and waste significant funds along the way.

For me we should be looking at a head coach and director of football coming in. This should ideally be a team who have experience working together or someone of experience in the DOF role with a progressive coach that shares the same philosophy. From there this should dictate who the broader coaching staff both first team and at youth level. They will all need to be able to develop players while being tactically forward thinking as we won’t be able to afford players who are ready made.

The squad will be decimated and our first job which we should be working on is maximising value for those who will be sold e.g. Ajer, Edouard, Ntcham, Christie, Boli, Hendry, Shved, Elhamed, Rogic, Bayo and anyone else who goes potentially McGregor too if the money was right.

Guys like Ajeti and Barkas who have been brought in I would give to the summer to prove if they have something and if not look to punt. Before the end of the January window most of the young boys like Harper, Henderson, Okoflex, Dembele (he’s probably off), Welsh etc I would loan out for the rest of the season to see if they can prove to have something worth bringing them back for. Given Dubai this would need to be the end of January now.

Guys on loan Duffy, Moi and Laxalt, none of them I would be looking to keep.

That only leaves Frimpong, Julien, Taylor, Soro, Turnbull, McGregor (possibly), Johnston, Griffiths, Klimala (I would probably loan out) Forrest, Barkas and Ajeti (possibly) and some of the young boys like Robertson, Connell etc.

So we will need at least one GK, both full backs, at least 3 CBs (two ready of which one is left sided and a prospect), a box to box centre mid, two wingers, two strikers minimum and that’s just for the first team and subs. This is why maximising the value of our want away players is a must, as well as being active in the bosman market.

I would build the team around the midfield of Turnbull and Soro, with another energetic box to box midfielder or two depending if McGregor stays or goes and how likely Robertson or Connell are to play a part going forward but we definitely need someone who can do a bit of both defending and attacking in there to compliment what we have.

We need at least two of the CBs to have some pace and be comfortable on the ball to cover Julien’s weaknesses. A left full back who can go past someone and put a cross in, and a right one that is solid in defence. A goalkeeper who can ideally make saves and be comfortable at crosses with half decent distribution.

In attack we need a focal point someone who can take the ball in, link play and bring others into the game and on the wings a bit of genuine pace and ability to beat a man and be a genuine threat that chips in with goals and assists.

Not asking for much am I? It’s when you write it out like this you realise how much work there is to do to even mount a proper challenge next year. It really shows the level of negligence that has been shown by the management of the club at all levels and how poor scouting can undo years of good work in a few seasons.

8. Dip 'n' Swerve

Hammond needs to go and be replaced by someone who has not been a failure in their previous job. It astounds me that our last two head of recruitments have been guys who have managed to get clubs relegated and waste significant funds along the way.

It isn't the head of recruitment that get clubs relegated, they essentially manage the scouting networks and drill up a short list of players available - in the celtic scenario it is a case of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear due to maximum price the club is willing to pay and wages to work with. Ultimately the bucks rests with the board at the club for their lack of drive and ambition and to carry out the team moving forward over a short, medium and long term approach. Players were flagged up which were knocked back 'they are outside our price and wage demands etc' in the past and the scrimping impact is being felt - yet money for disco lights and hotels is squandered. We are lucky that in the summer we might get some money from dembele, and if KT moves on (have we % sell on clause?) and French eddie at current market value will be lucky to go for 10-12 mill. 10 in a row is gone time to start all over again

I would say Rodgers found this very frustrating and jumped ship as he realised he cannot work in this manner - players signed above his head, he bite his tongue and left in the manner he did - I can recall he said it will all become clear in the future - which is now apparent. Lennon is happy to be the lapdog for the board.

Who decided on Dubai, they must be held accountable - even if it is ok to travel etc, they should have read the covid levels rising, the PR view amongst other things.

I would like a new manager and coaching team who are dynamic, give energy and new ideas - new ideas at working corners, free kicks, can change things on the pitch to play to strengths and exploit opportunities and experience.

9. JamesM09

Basically playing staff are all fine (for the most part). Coaching staff, the board, Tony Hamilton etc. need to be removed.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Keep: Frimpong, Soro, Turnbull, Forrest, Griff, Calmac, Jullien

Question marks: Ajeti, Klimala, Johnston, Taylor

Back to parent club: Duffy, Laxalt, Moi

Will push for a move and will likely get it: Ajer, Ntcham, Eddy, Christie, Elhamed, Rogic, Shved, Bayo

Not good enough: Barkas, Ralston

Should be kept to aid the squad transition: Bitton, Brown

That’s a huge undertaking for any manager coming in on paper, we need 4 possibly 5 first team players that will come in and be instantly relied on never mind fill the squad gaps.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Player wise, there's not many I'd keep. Obviously we're not going to get rid of that many, but I'd be happy to see the vast majority leave. In terms of players I want to see here next season:

Soro, Turnbull, Frimpong, Forrest, McGregor, Jullien and Johnston.

I'm not including Ajer or Edouard because they'll be off in the summer. The likes of Taylor and Bitton are fine as squad players but I wouldn't be fussed if they went.

A big summer is needed, in any case. So many areas of the pitch need addressed. We don't have a reliable keeper or striker. We're about to lose our best centre back. We'll need a first choice left back and left winger.

That's why the club should essentially be sacking this season off and using the next few months to prepare for next season. Give more minutes to the younger players coming through, and the likes of Klimala and Ajeti to see if they're up to it.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  12. Foley1888

On the above though like any job you are surely looking at the performance of clubs that guys you are looking to bring in have done. I am not solely blaming either Congerton nor Hammond for our failings but take Congerton first Sunderland went from being a top Championship/ relegation battling club to being a basket case, having signed a number of players who were overrated or no where near the right standard. Hamburg in Germany a club competing from middle to top of the division sign a whole host of players that are not good enough get relegated can’t get back up. Neither are all his fault but it hardly screams out give me the job.

Hammond is more limited in terms of West Brom but again they sign a whole host of players deemed surplus to requirement that fail to make an impact.

I totally agree with the rest of your post, given the level of turnover in the squad/ club it is the ideal time for someone dynamic and forward thinking to come in. In the past these types of manager have often failed in Scotland because the core of the squad fail to get onboard but the truth is we won’t have a core of a squad left so they can bring in their own.

13. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I would start off with separating Lawwell and Co(ideally would be away to *) from any other involvement in the sporting /football side of the club. Ideally a DOF, and preferably not an ex-player at the club.

All Lawwell and Co or whoever is involved in the process need to do, Sign the cheques and shut the * up.

14. SteveyNico67

Build the entire club around Soro and Turnbull

Lawell - get te

15. rickyroma25

I don't need to post what I think now cause you've covered it all.

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  16. Lennon1888

That much of a clear out is needed, Likely won't happen.

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Folk who need/wont be missed if gone:

Ian Bankier, Peter Lawwell, Tom Allison, Sharon Brown, Dermot Desmond, Brian Wilson - Chris McKay gets to stay as Finance Director since literally his job he is doing well. Not him that signs off on players and/or coaches. Though maybe he does set the budgets?* it he can go as well

Neil Lennon, John Kennedy, Gavin (who?) Strachan and Stevie Woods - always gets an easy ride, but after failing to be able to make at least 1 of the 3 keepers barely decent, I wonder what the * he actually does any more.
    Aside from Marshall and Forster - the former let go for not being good enough - what else has he done? Boruc was already a great keeper, Gordon was developed long before he came here and arguably is pish and Woods couldn't do * all to solve his weaknesses in 5 years.

Bain can go.
    Duffy, Elhamed, Ralston, Laxalt can all go - laxalt only because it is a loan and do not expect to be renewed. I think he is decent though.

Bitton can go, as can Brown, Christie, Ntcham, and Ely

Edouard can * off.
    Along with Hendry, Boli, Shved and Bayo.

I am being kind to the rest.

Barkas and Hazard need to get on script and quick here, time is not on their side, they need to prove they can be the number 1 and the cup keeper before this season is over, or else one/both need to go as well. I am all for giving Barkas an easier time as that defence and the * management are not helping him, but he equally needs to start to stand up and take control in there as well.

Julien, Ajer, Welsh should be 3 of a solid 4 CB options - we need another one and we need to utilise all 4 throughout a season.
    Frimpong and Taylor can stay, but they need to be made backup and they need coached and educated in how to adapt their game and be better players - the fundamental thing that is lacking in our club, surprising since we are a club meant to be good at buying young, developing and selling high. Yet we hire coaches and managers who dont give one * about development in any sense.

Soro, Turnbull, McGregor should be the midfield 3 going forward, anyone added to that really needs to be of a better quality from the word go. they are 21, 22 and 26 they are not exactly kids or over the hill, literally they should be the midfield for the next 4 seasons at least. Properl development will see all 3 continue to improve.
    Connel, Henderson and Robertson need to be developed as the alternative 3, with any incoming being of better quality of the first 3, which one of the backup three being loaned out to continue their development.
    Forrest and Mikey need to stay fit, if not * off. No fault to them, but we are done with sentiment at this stage. Stay fit and fight for the club, or move on and get better in.

Ajeti and Klimala need to be the backup 2, both show in flashes what they are capable of, but neither gets played currently in a favoured role, that needs sorted and I am sure both can do better for us. Griffiths needs to shake himself once and for all, quality striker on his day and always hungry, but we need you here and now. Get someone of the edouard/dembele stature to partner him.

And finally, a * decent manager.

18. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Clearout seems a bit drastic. Lets wait and see what happens with the new player's lounge first.

19. Celticbhoy97

Game of killer pool winner gets a new contract?

20. mayo

Player wise anyway we don’t need a huge clear out. Under the right manager I’m convinced we’d have a great team.

ArturBorucCSC and MagicBallBhoy like this.