1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I don’t think I underrate him at all. He’ll get goals at this level because it’s his level. But let’s be fair here, we’re not talking about a guy who has consistently scored for fun. He’s only managed a 20+ goals season once since he joined. That freak season where he got 40. Edouard has already managed that in two seasons and likely three this year. Hooper did it 3 seasons out of 3. Even Stokes did it twice.

He’s dangerous and can score different types of goals. But he’s patchy, unreliable and one of those players where if he isn’t scoring, he isn’t bringing much else to the team. He’s always been like that. Guys like Dembele and Eddy (excluding this season) could go a few matches without scoring but still put in great displays because of their other qualities. Griffiths doesn’t bring that.

If he was consistently banging in 20+ a season then my opinion would be different. But he isn’t. For me, a player with his record would be a good backup striker for us. But then you have to take into account his injury record and other baggage. And for me, he’s simply not worth the hassle.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Griffiths even at his best isn’t a good enough first choice striker for a Celtic that’s taking itself seriously.

Likes of Edouard and Dembele and absolutely miles ahead of him as a player.

neilly1987 and KG-Henrik like this.
  3. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Maybe, but I would have him foe 30min most games. Never going to get 90min from him.
    But 30min, just when opposition tiering and game opening up.

4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Actually he makes eduard better. Sometimes great players need that other player to make the difference. Would I rather dembele and eduard? Maybe, but two lazy French * who barely run after a ball? Hmm.

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They both run a lot more than Griffiths.

And neither of them have had several managers call them out for being overweight and unprofessional.

neilly1987 and Breathnach67 like this.
  6. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Does anyone have his scoring statistics against every club he's faced since joining Celtic?

7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC striker Leigh Griffiths has compared his fitness levels from the start of the season until now as “night and day.”

The 30-year-old forward, who described himself as “disgrace” this summer has also set himself the ambition of landing a testimonial with the Parkhead side.

Still three years away from the 10-year landmark, there is much convincing for Griffiths to do between now and then. Few would question Griffiths’ ability as an instinctive striker. With 121 Celtic goals he is in elite company with only 19 players scoring more than him for the Parkhead club.

Where he did need to offer some convincing, though, as recently as a fortnight ago, was in terms of fitness and ability to play a full 90 minutes.

It is night and day [from the start of the season]," he said. “I think the manager would say that as well. I let myself down. I let everybody down. But I’m trying to repay them bit by bit by helping the team, scoring goals and getting the team three points.

“I had to take a long hard look at myself because I was a disgrace when I came back.

“Well, when I say a disgrace, I wasn’t because when I left in March and came back I was only 2.5kg over what I was before but I wasn’t as fit as I should have been. That’s down to me and my professionalism. I take that on the chin. I’ve been slaughtered for that publicly and in-house.

“I took it on the chin, went away and worked extremely hard. Then I had a couple of injuries.

“Dubai gave me a chance to get fitter. I know the gaffer came out and said that I was not match fit or not as fit as I could be. I think you’ve seen over a number of games that I’ve played that I’ve ran my heart out and it shows I’m fit enough to start games.”

Griffiths was criticised by a number of former players, including Chris Sutton who took aim at his lack of professionalism. The striker has claimed some of the jibes have been down to jealousy.

“I’ve been criticised by ex-players and ex-managers who all want to give their tuppenceworth,” said the 30-year-old. “But they weren’t saying that when I was playing and scoring goals for them.

I think a few ex-players are jealous of what I’ve achieved at Celtic so far but I’ve still got a lot of business still to be done and a lot of goals to contribute.

“When I first signed, people were questioning if I could cope, could I step up to the plate and score at certain levels? I keep knocking people back and proving people wrong. Most importantly, I need to keep proving to myself that I’m still available and willing to do the hard work and I’m still getting selected and can play at the top level.”

This time last year there was an acceleration from Celtic as they returned from the winter break. Griffiths and Odsonne Edouard’s partnership has the hallmarks of a successful paring but from this summer onwards it has rarely had a chance to take root again.

Edouard has shown only in glimpses the form he is capable of while Griffiths has significant work to do simply to win back the trust of his manager. Pairing the duo together for the next few months may yield goals but the gap at the top remains a significant ask to claw back with significant damage already done.

“We knew we were in a difficult place last year but we came back from Dubai and absolutely blew everyone away. Again, it’s a big ask with the sizeable lead Rangers have got at the top of the league. But there’s no doubt in my mind that we can claw it back bit by bit.

Since I came back that I’ve played well, tried to link up with Odsonne as much as I could and we’re winning games, albeit the Rangers game was a bit disappointing. But before that we were playing well, wining games and winning them comfortably. You get partnerships that you just click with somebody.

“And for me and Odsonne, it was about trying to get that understanding as quickly as possible because we need it. You’ve seen what our partnership can produce – goals and assists. I’m looking forward to continuing to play with him.”

The immediate ambitions are obvious but there are long-term aims, too.
    Celtic need all three points from Hibs this evening with Griffiths keen to mark the night with another goal.

“Long-term that’s where you want to be – at a club like Celtic for eight, nine, 10 years, getting talked about in terms of testimonials and stuff,” he said. “It would be great but I’ve got a lot of hard work in front of me.

“I think that’s very do-able [150 goals]. If I stay injury free, I’ll get chances and it’s just a question of putting them away.

“It’s just about getting that consistent run of games. If I do, I’ll get the opportunities and it’s just a matter of sticking the ball in the back of the net. It might not be the first or second chance but the mixer that fall my way the more I’ll score.”

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Shut up Griff you wee fat *..

neilly1987 likes this.
  10. James Gold Member Gold Member

I read to the bit where he called himself a disgrace at the start of the season. * him as well have we just to forget he turned up to the biggest season in his life like a bag of * cos he feels fitter now

neilly1987 and King of Kings like this.
  11. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just start banging in the goals wee man.

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He really is not very bright.

'i am a disgrace but not really a disgrace 'cause I had only put on a wee bit of weight and ex-players weren't making comment on my lack of professionalism between March - July 2020, before March 2020 when I was scoring goals'

:39:

A little less conversation, a little more action please.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Come on tubby, start scoring. Don’t want to hear anymore noise.

neilly1987 likes this.
  14. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Time to offload in summer don’t get a * about his problem now we supported him he didn’t give one *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. wulliebad

Eddy and Dembele were flukes,not their skill or ability but Celtic managing to sign them.We still consider our self some massive huge European club and we stopped being that in the 70's. The world of football has left us behind and we are not getting back any time soon.Griff is Celtic class because that is where we are at sadly.

Larsson'snose and Breathnach67 like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Leigh Griffiths has told furious fans calling for the heads of Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell and boss Neil Lennon they have short memories.

The Scotland striker is desperate to bring more success for the hurting Hoops legions who have been left raging this season at their 10 In A Row dream going up in smoke spectacularly in a catastrophic campaign.

Fed-up supporters are demanding change from the Parkhead boardroom to dug-out with protest banners displayed at the stadium aimed at both Lawwell and Lennon.

Griffiths feels their pain at the end of an unparalleled run of success which saw them hoover up a dozen domestic trophies on the spin before crashing out of the Betfred Cup with a shock home loss to Ross County and the league looking beyond them.

The champions trail Rangers by a whopping 23 points after Steven Gerrard’s side defeated Ross County at Ibrox on Saturday with Celtic having played three games less.

But Griffiths insists fans must remember the part Lawwell and Lennon and have played in the club’s period of dominance and hopes they are at the helm for the long haul.

Celtic have won a staggering 29 honours since Lawwell’s arrival as chief executive in September 2003 in a position that had become a poisoned chalice at the club.

Predecessors Ian McLeod, Allan MacDonald, Jock Brown and Terry Cassidy all held that position stretching back to the dark days of the 1990s but lifelong fan Lawwell has been an overwhelming success.

And in backing the pair Griff - a £1 million signing from Wolves in Lennon’s first spell in charge - said: “There has been talk about the manager’s position and also Mr Lawwell’s position too.

But you need to remember what these guys have done for the club. Fans quickly forget what those two have done for the club.

“The gaffer has won five out of six (trophies) since he came back, Mr Lawwell has won the last nine domestic league titles and guided us to a quadruple treble.

“I’m sure the manager has had assurances from Mr Lawwell and Mr Desmond, who he will be in regular contact with. If anything was to have happened on that front I’m sure we’d have been the first to know.

We want him to stay for as long as possible because we feel he is still the right man for the job. The fans are hurting more than any of us.

“The fans support us and we all love them, we want them back in the stadium as soon as possible so they can cheer us on. It’s up to us players to put that right.”

17. Pearse67*

Theyve ran us into the ground, thats what theyve * done!

Griffiths can * off along with both them!

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  18. Sgt Neppers*

Another drip, leaked to buy the board more time. Griff probably won't make it under the new regime unless he starts sharp and fit.

Unlikely in the long term....

Edit: cheeky * mentioning short memories. We have shown him plenty patience and understanding. As we have done this entire season to all of the squad. They've pushed us too far. And he's still not fully fit now. Jeezo.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Shut the * up Griffiths

Smithy, neilly1987 and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony