1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome back Darren O'Dea

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ulsterscot, Sep 8, 2014.

Discuss Welcome back Darren O'Dea in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I started readin that hoping it would be insightful because he’s been not bad to listen to as a pundit on occasion.

Nup. Dragged out and spoon fed the same pish as the rest are trying to feed.

I hope deep down he felt like a tadger saying that bullshite. He should know better that most that managers are judged on their most recent game(s).

Im beginning to wonder if this is all noise for the players benefit - aid their mindset. Surely this lot don’t believe this patter is washing with fans

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm praying our "riot" that in reality one fan shook a fence, completely reasonable imo, makes the players wake up. No more prancing around like some over indulgent soft *.

3. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I believe that one fella that shook the metal fence caused ground tremors that rocked the foundations around Paradise. Three bambi legged screws managed to topple over in the process, and each needed a my little pony plaster on their wee graze.

But aye, fingers crossed some reality set in with the players seeing the fans as they were. However, I believe only the players can do so much. Neils still spouting some wild comments that make no sense so it clearly done nothing for him.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Seems to be a lot of good youth CB’s actually coming through since he’s been coaching them :fear:

martin_d likes this.
  6. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It's good to have Darren back at Celtic. Hopefully, we can also bring Damian Duff back.

Crilly likes this.
  7. Crilly

(Slightly unrelated) Speaking of Damian Duff, he is managing the u17s shelbourne team in the airtricity in ireland. My brother plays for pats and twice they’ve played shels recently and I have to say Duff is an absolute *! Constantly screaming abuse at refs and opposition etc. Was talking to a guy at the last match there on Tuesday and he said he’s caused murder at every match so far this season. He was calling a lad off pats a midget all game too :giggle1: after the match (he lost 3-1) in the car park he was going mad at his captain for about 20 minutes straight blaming him, maybe he’s just thinking he’s too good for that level etc but seems to have a real attitude problem now (chip on his shoulder) heard he was sacked from rovers too that’s why he’s with shels. And actually think he went back to dublin cause of the travelling back and forward to his family, doubt he’d come back tbh

Liam Scales and Dublin Celt like this.
  8. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Seems to have completely gone off the wall and as a player he showed good degree of loyalty he hasn't stayed in any coaching role more than 5 mins.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Crilly likes this.
  9. Crilly

Yeah it’s a shame if he was more positive towards his own players most young lads and that age would be dying to go and play under him. Sets his team up well now in fairness but you can see throughout the game they do drop the heads with his moaning. Liked him at us coaching though in fairness but think he travelled back and forward 3 times a week as his family stay in Dublin. Doubt he’d be interested in doing that again

Dublin Celt likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

It has been a season of change for some of the young players coming through the ranks at Celtic, with a B team competing in the Scottish Lowland League.

And Darren O’Dea is delighted to be an integral part of that, making the step up to become part of the coaching set-up with the Celtic B team and working alongside manager, Tommy McIntyre.

It is the next step in O’Dea’s own coaching career, while his remit it to help his young charges progress in their own careers – a journey that will hopefully lead them to the first-team.

And he knows that getting to work every day at the Lennoxtown Training Centre near to Ange Postecoglou’s squad will be beneficial to the B team players’ development and his own improvements as a coach.

Speaking to the official Celtic website, the 34-year-old explained: “I really enjoyed the last two years and working with the Under-18s was fantastic, but the offer to come up and obviously the change in scenery – in terms of from working at Celtic Park with the U18s and now at Lennoxtown – has been brilliant.

“A lot of the change with the players hasn’t been huge because the vast majority I have worked for some sort of period with the 18s, some of them for longer than others, so the players know me and I certainly know them.

“Pivotal to the role here is the access you get to how the first-team work and getting to see that daily, and being around them, albeit I’m not working directly with them.

“But you get a lot of access and that’s part of the job I suppose – being up and around and seeing how things work, and that has been invaluable to me.

'In taking this role, I had the full intention of maximising every bit of information I could get and every learning experience I could get, and the manager’s been fantastic with everyone.'

“I can only speak from a personal point of view, but he’s been brilliant, and any time I’ve needed anything or wanted to ask a question, he’s very accommodating and very clear. So it’s been fantastic as a young coach to learn from that.

“And I have to mention John Kennedy in that as well because John’s obviously been here for the just over two years I’ve been in and any time I’ve gone to John for a bit of advice or an opinion, or even just a conversation, you always get tenfold what you expect back.”

O’Dea is himself is a successful product of the youth system at Celtic, coming through the ranks after moving over from Ireland and going on to make 70 appearances for the first-team, scoring six goals in the process, including one in the 2008/09 League Cup final triumph.

And while he can pass on his own experience of what it takes to make it at Celtic, there are other Academy success stories at the club which he and Tommy McIntyre can point to, not least the club captain Callum McGregor, and longest-serving player, James Forrest. And a more recent graduate also serves as an example of what is achievable.

“When the players first come, of course they’ve got big aspirations and they want to conquer the world, if you like,” O’Dea explained. “But the reality really hits when you come up to Lennoxtown – you’re one pitch away from the first-team at all times.

“The first-team regularly dip into the B team for training numbers. It usually happens before training but it can happen during training, so they don’t know when the opportunity is going to come, and that realisation of all the talk we did when they were 16 and they first came in, and the big dreams they had – they’re much closer than what they maybe understand.

"They have to be in a rhythm of training every day and being prepared right. I don’t think you’ll get a better example of that than last year with the whole reserve team going up for a two-week period.

“Now the person who’s stayed there since then is Adam Montgomery. He’s never come back but if you went and watched him train two or three months previous to that and then a month previous to that, he was just constantly in a rhythm of training, doing the right things and when that opportunity came in the most bizarre circumstances, he was there to take advantage of it.

'So it’s a key message for them – those dreams you’re talking about, albeit the step is absolutely huge, it might not be as far away as you think.'

And with the B team set to resume action next Monday with a game against Cumbernauld Colts, O’Dea has seen firsthand the benefits of competing in the Scottish Lowland League this season.

“It’s been fantastic and really beneficial for the players to have a consistent games programme and a rhythm of playing games,” he explained.

“We went through a period of playing multiple games in a week which doesn’t happen very often in youth team or reserve football, so to play Wednesday-Saturday and have to recover again for the next Wednesday is fantastic experience in itself.

“And then the different type of teams you come up against, with many players who’ve had experience of playing at the top level of Scottish football, younger players, different styles of play, different pitches, different stadiums, different environments – all these thing are key in a player’s development.

“As a I coach, I take satisfaction from seeing the team function as a team but, ultimately, what I’m massive on after a game is individuals – what individuals stood out, and if the manager or John Kennedy came to the game, would they be impressed in these players playing in the way that the manager has the team playing.

Liam Scales likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AYR UNITED are eyeing an ambitious move for Celtic B team coach Darren O'Dea.

The Championship club parted company with boss Jim Duffy on Monday.

New managing director Graeme Mathie is leading the search for his successor and it's understood O'Dea is on their radar.

The Celtic coach, 34, is already among the bookies' favourites for the Somerset Park gig.

O'Dea is tipped for a bright future in management after making swift progress since retiring in 2019.

Irishman O'Dea is highly rated at Parkhead and recently moved up to the B team from the under-18s.

The former Celtic player started out his coaching career at Motherwell before being headhunted by his old club.

O'Dea initially took on a role with the Hoops Under-18s but was promoted to the B team after Ange Postecoglou's arrival.

The former Republic of Ireland international also played with Reading, Leeds United, Ipswich Town and Toronto during a long career at the top.

He finished his full-time career with Dundee before moving into the coaching side at Fir Park.

O'Dea now works with Tommy McIntyre with the Celtic B squad in their first Lowland League campaign.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    tarboltontim likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    He's sounding like a real Ange disciple, fully onboard with his methods and philosophy. Some on here saw his move this season as a demotion, but it's clear he was hand-picked to ensure the playstyle and standards of the first team are being mirrored by the B-side.

17. EddieBhoy1986

What move? He has been B-side coach since 2021 before that U18 coach, hasn't worked alongside Ange as far as I'm aware.

18. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    McManus was the one who moved from top team to the b

19. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Think you're mixing him up with Stephen McManus who went to the B team after Kewell came in to the senior squad.

20. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I remember when Strachan papped him out on loan, then brought him back for a game against the huns and made him the captain.