1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Tactics A-Z

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Sep 15, 2018.

Discuss TC Tactics A-Z in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'm excited to see the return of Jullien. That's going to be a massive boost.

............ Bitton.... Jullien... Ajer

Elhamed..................................Laxalt
    ................... Brown...McGregor

............................Rogic

.................. Griffiths.. Edouard

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing

Barkas
    Elhamed, Ajer, Julien, Laxalt
    Bitton
    Christie, McGregor
    Ely
    Ajeti, Edouard
    Griffiths, Welsh, Turnbull, Klimala, Soro, should all be seeing active game time from the bench and staking a claim for starts as well.

Really, something like this should be the core of our side going forward.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  3. CountyDownFaithful

Barkas

Elhamed
    Jullien
    Ajer
    Laxalt

Bitton/Soro
    McGregor
    Christie
    Rogic

Edouard
    Griffiths

Even something like that could work. Midfield diamond with Bitton or Soro sitting in front of the back 4 offering the much needed protection while our creative midfielders McGregor, Christie and Rogic can push forward. We aren’t blessed with quick wingers at the moment and the systems we play 3-5-2 and 4-2-3-1 rely on width.

I know we haven’t exactly being on fire attacking wise but 9 times out of 10 we will score goals domestically. It’s the defence that should be our priority. I think this sort of system and personnel would give us more security.

Peej likes this.
  4. CountyDownFaithful

Didn’t even see this before my post below but totally agree with the shape and most of the personnel. We need to find a system that makes us hard to beat and go from there.

Peej likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I toyed with Rogic and Ely, but feel that Ely can offer more as a floating player behind the strikers, able to go wide when needed.

Ajeti over Griffiths is just because, would take either as a partnership and in fact both of them together and drop Edouard is not off the table in my books.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  6. CountyDownFaithful

Yeah you could rotate Rogic and Moi. My first choice would Rogic but then you get games like yesterday where it just passed him by. Get more graft out of Moi.

I like Ajeti but he looks useless outside of the box. Edouard is suited to dropping deep and linking the play but this leaves us without a striker half the time so definitely need to give him a strike partner. I’d go with Griff because they’ve shown they can make it work.

Peej likes this.
  7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

We either have to go 352 or 41212 (diamond), we need 2 up top for sure. We don’t have a striker that excels as a lone striker and we don’t have a system that works for it anyway.

My preference just now is-

Barkas
    Hatem Jullien Ajer
    Frimpong McGregor Christie Laxalt
    Rogic
    Griff Eddy​

Pearse67* and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  8. Foley1888

For the next game against Sparta I would go

——————-Bain/Barkas———-

Elhamed—-Julien—-Ajer——Taylor

——————-——Soro

Frimpong—McGregor-Christie-Laxalt

———————-—Eddy

Very defensive but should at least allow us to be solid and prevent us losing so many cheap goals. Given the energy and pace in that midfield we should be able to break quickly when winning possession and create chances.

I would use a similar approach in the other two Europa matches and consider it against them at Ibrox too.

Domestically you could use a similar approach but swap Laxalt to left back and play Ely or put Christie wide left and bring Rogic in centrally. To get two strikers on you could play Griff upfront instead of Eddy and play him from the left or just off Griff.

So you would have

———————Barkas/Bain

Elhamed——Julien—-Ajer——-Laxalt

————————-Soro

———-Christie———-McGregor

Frimpong ——Griffiths———Eddy

9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Elhamed must play, as he'd provide a bit more security. All we need to turn this season around is reduce the number of goals conceded per game- our players do score. Any changes should have this in mind.

10. oh bhoy

Nobody in the league seems to be able to cope with sevco playing 4-3-3 and their players are pure *

--------------- Barkas
    Elhamed----jullien----ajer---laxalt
    -----christie-mcgregor-elyounoussi
    ---Griffiths----ajeti------ edouard

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Their style of play is working really well for them in the League and in Europe but we don't really have the players or the time to play like that, since Gerrard came in he has played a kind of defensive counter attacking style. They've perfected it in Europe and they can do it in the League.

Part of it is because they had a striker they can cross a ball into and who battles for every long ball etc so they have the basic options of punting crosses into the box and long balls and getting success, now they have 2 strikers who can do that. Our strikers don't really offer anything in the air, Edouard has barely attempted a header in his career, Ajeti is probably our best but has only started about 6 games. They also have mostly hard working midfielders who almost all do a defensive job first, ours are the opposite where apart from Brown all our midfielders are offensive and our players are probably too used to playing open football that we wouldn't be able to develop a more disiplined defensive style.

We for probably too long have been too attacking a team that we've become like Wengers Arsenal. Easy to play against and counter attack and we * about on the ball too much playing too slowly trying to score goals that we constantly have to break down 10 men as teams get enough time to sit back and we struggle to do anything to get through them.

We probably need to go back to basics and start again from a fresh because we've assembled a squad who don't really fit together, like Edouard you probably want playing off a Vennegoor/Hartson/Sutton type which we don't have. Someone like McGregor you want to be the most attacking of your 3 man midfield but we play him as one of the deeper two. We try and fit Christie and Rogic into one team. We have Elyounoussi who is good but how can he play and Edouard play when we need a proper striker on so we either play one up front and drop Edouard or play 2 up front and drop Elyounoussi etc whole things a mess. We signed Klimala who is more of a counter attacking style of striker when we play opposite football to that. Even for ages there we played Taylor as a wing-back in a 3-5-2 who is not an attacking player.Even Duffy as well we brought in and at the start when Jullien is also fit we were playing Duffy as the right-centre back, playing a back 3 where the wide defenders need to cover the wings we were using Duffy as one, the slowest one.

Instead of having a proper style of play and squad built to fit it, we have random players we can't seem to get to play together in a system.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    oh bhoy and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    My observations for what its worth..

I feel we now lack the pace in wide areas to open up games.

I feel through our recruitment, we have seemed to limit ourselves in the way we can play.

In attack, i dont feel that Edoaurd and Ajeti like to make the runs in behind. Both seem to like to link first before trying to run off. For this reason, Griffiths has to come into contention as a partner for me, as i think his movement out of all three is better. Controversial, i know, but his work rate is greater than Edouards.

Part of me wonders if we did expect Edouard to leave in the summer, as i dont think we should have brought in a striker who offered a physical threat to allow us to play a different way. Like an aerial threat, which we completely lack.

Edouard, for me, just doesnt have the physicality to challenge in the air, or hold up play, like dembele had. I think Ajeti was the wrong buy in terms of finding him a striker partner. He needs the ball at feet and to be facing the goal where he can open up his body or take his man on. Id have him as a second striker or left of a front three.

In a 3 in attack, we play too narrow. Mo for me, isnt quick enough to take his man down the outside, but im not sure he is consistent enough to play as an inside forward. He is an odd one for me, he shows glimpses of quality, but doesnt do it enough. I dont know where he fits in, if he really ever does or has.

Christie, although relatively pacey and tenacious, isnt a natural wide man and his first thought is to come inside on his left foot. In that respect, we miss Forrest and when he takes on and beats a man down the side line, as a natural wide midfielder.

Iv always maintained tha too much of our play still goes through Brown who acts as a pivot. Brown, for me, doesnt have the passing ability to merit the importance and now i think his dynamism is diminishing. I think we lack the urgency when moving the ball from back to front, to really open the gaps up.

Less and less we have seen Ajer stride out of defence and draw players towards him and beat them, opening the game up. Thats when he was at his best.

With a distinct lack of a wide threat, and the fact that the majority of our play is in front of the opponents defence and lack of runs and pace in behind, it condenses the game and leads to us playing side to side in an attempt to open up the game. This then puts pressure on our full backs, Laxalt and Frimpong, to do this job, who then leave spaces in the full back position which the opponent can exploit in transition in the event of losing the ball. I dont think either of our full backs are blessed with a good final ball, but both would benefit from having natural wide men to work the ball down the line.

13. celtic warrior

Under the right manager 3-5-2 could work, as could an attacking style of 4-3-3.

Under the right manager, we'd probably see a stone wall partnership trio of Duffy Jullien and Ajer.

Under the right manager..................

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    You need the right group of players too. A team needs balance.
    Forrest couldnt play as a wing back in a 3-5-2.
    We cant keep switching between the two, hoping to find the one that works. To be fair to Rodgers, he knew 4-3-3 was his formation.
    We still dont have a style of playing or a settled XI. That is an issue in itself.

15. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I think we are suffering a lack of pace in attack from midfield.

Nobody that can break the lines. A sinclair, forrest or MJ. Forrest and MJ being out doesnt help.

But part of the problem is also we sit to deep. Mcgregor sits deeper than he should to cover the lack of the mobility of Brown. Brown is playing just in front of the centre halves.

The centre halves are deep because Bitton or Duffy will be done in behind to easy for pace, therefore our midfield is clapsing on our defence creating to much of a gap between the midfield and attack.

Eddie recently hasnt been holding it up as well as before to get support and we are struggling to create chances.

Rogic is our most creative player but where does he fit in, if mcgregor is baby sitting brown. Rogic needs runners off him, in the final third.

Talking about fitting in, brings in Moi. Dont think fits in to 3-5-2 yet i think we need to play 2 up top because Eddie needs a strike partner up top if we are to atleast make a fight of this.

Weather we replace lennon or not, we will be lucky to bring in 2 players in january that are first team starters.

DM with pace is first on the list. Pontentially also a CB with pace. Them two players will get us playing higher up the pitch which means playing a higher press.

Marty McFly likes this.
  16. Sgt Neppers*

The 4-4-2 diamond formation is working well. Despite our level of opposition (County & Accies) there are some promising aspects of it. Firstly no square pegs in round holes, players in their proper natural positions. This formation has been forced on us to a degree as we have no natural width with MJ and Forrest injuries. But the current MF 4 is arguably our strongest 4. There's plenty of pace, energy, desire, fight, ability and creativity to get at anyone domestically.

2 up top. How refreshing. Allows us to properly work defences, stretch them. So easy to play against 1 up top. Plenty of cover against the solo CF. The 2 being in Griff and Eddy (in form) are gonna give teams a hard time. They have their strengths which compliment each other so well. Dropping off, going beyond last man, at range, close up, good from out the box and quick feet. The 2 CF also limits Christie in his long range shooting. He has more to work with up top and sees the options this gives him now. Turnbull. Our future. Build it around him.

Theres a good balance to the team, Christie, Turnbull and Calmac all get forward but can get back to help Soro and the defence. The 442 diamond can also be manipulated in to 433, 4312 depending on opponents and their formation. This will be crucial against the knuckle dragging, zombie, mutant, tax dodging * pigs on the 2nd. Need to stop their full backs and not be bullied.

There is plenty to work with in this formation, to cover the back, and creating and scoring up top. Plus we have other options on the bench and return from injury. I'm no fan of Lennon as a coach and there are still frailties in our defence, but this is the most straightforward system (without under/overload of info for players). But positive so far. Plenty room for further growth.

Just needs balls from Lennon to go with this from now on and at Ibrox and players to give it their all.

Hail hail....

The Phoenix and Double Dutch like this.
  17. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The best formation to counter a 433 is a flat 442 or the diamond variant we’re playing now.

It gives an extra man in midfield and forces their two wide attackers to sit deeper because of our two wide players.

Two centre backs and 1 CDM in the diamond cover the middle sufficiently, plus we’re far more dangerous on counter against a 433 with two up top and a number 10.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I like the diamond it suits us, however when we play the Huns and have less possession you need your front two to lead the press and put pressure on the fullbacks and CBs, not sure if Griff and Edouard give us that.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    100% this..

Our striker's in that system against them would have to be fairly wide and no close together, to stop their threat. Otherwise they'll just get it easy building attacks from their two biggest threats..

It is a decent system for us though simply as it's getting a lot of our better player's in, and in their favoured position's..

I would like to see the 4-3-3 at some point though..

JC Anton likes this.
  20. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

While we lack wingers I think going with 2 up is our best bet against most sides.

Griff and Eddy link so well and give us loads of variation. If you add runners from midfield into the mix it makes us pretty dangerous. That strike partnership gave us a lift after thw winter break last year, but we were also seeing McGregor and Ntcham running beyond and getting goals so we need to see that from the midfielders now as well.

If you can get Eddy free, find his feet and get runners off him we'll create chances.

As it stands I'd be slightly surprised if we played the diamond at Ibrox.