1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I have the utmost respect for MON but surely he must see what's happening right now. I honestly can't fathom why him and all the other ex players etc. have came out and publicly backed Neil Lennon. Don't they see what 99% of the fans see? Surely they don't want to see the club they played for or managed continue the way it is

2. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed, it's due to sheer incompetence in almost every single area of the club.

3. joemc

we really are a bunch of spoilt rotten brat * , no really , we have had a monopoly on domestic silverware for so long , a possible 12 from 12 and we are caving in at the first sign of a challenge , toys oot the pram demanding heads for wot , nothing has been won , no prizes given out .
    ok we have not been great ,but guess wot , if youve won * everything going for 3-4 years the hunger IS hard to keep , take away fans that can drive the team on and that changes everything.
    im not trying to make excuses for the manager or players but (its not been anormal season ) we have went from everything rosey to everything is wrong in such a short time because , the huns are playing better than us , they dont look like losing and we are all focused on them and breaking our club up in bits cauz we have to now not lose , and its all the managers fault .da silva, don howe , wot have they done ? fek all none of these guys would change a thing , could possibly make it worse though , i would only support his removal if the fan clamour gets so bad it stops him being able to manage .
    btw like most i also felt it was time up at 0 2 against hibs , but my anger mostly at the team subsided and i still honestly feel ,if we change mid season we fail to do 10 , we still have a chance and need to stay focused , win our games and beat them at ibrox .

4. celticvoice

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    The outrage / backlash has nothing to do with any other teams' performance, it's the gutless mediocrity on the pitch and tactical ambivalence in the dugout that's causing it.

Celtic have penny pinched for too long and it's finally starting to burn them.

I dont think you'll see any KTF HH UTLR 1888 1967 etc until this mess is sorted and thank * for that.

5. joemc

listen it has everything to do with them , and us winning 10 , if we were being a bit * like now , and no one was close ,there would be more tollerance .

6. snoogins

That argument falls down considering Delia got the boot for us being * and no one being near us

7. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    MON being wheeled out to back him isn’t helping at all, it’s only increasing my anger that’s he’s still in the job.

I bet he never watched us vs Ferencvaros, the Huns, Sparta’s Reserves at Pittodrie or Easter Road.

I love MON but that interview is patronising as *, he must think we are all blind.

The free ride he’s getting from the press is unbelievable, the Huns in the press aren’t putting the boot in either as they’d rather he stayed in position.

The Dude and oh bhoy like this.
  8. oh bhoy

there has been plenty of tolerance

9. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Yes you are.

Keano88 and joemc like this.
  10. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

As I've said before it's nothing to do with penny pinching. We spend far more than most comparable clubs on the continent. We're just woefully inefficient when it comes to spending. We're * it away.

We come across as being ridiculously * in our operation. * scouting, * coaching (not just NL), * youth development. The whole club needs a clearout.

11. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Lawwell is that you?

Wee Baldy likes this.
  12. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Agree. Complete restructuring necessary. Also hate how many clearly talented players we’ve got that never get used, we’re supposed to be a club that runs on buying players in young and selling them on for big profit when they do well, but who’s gonna want to come to a club where they won’t get game time?

13. SuperZidane

I agree totally with the clearout but Duff stated that he moved back to Ireland for the sake of his family, he wouldn't be interested in coming back at this point.

14. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    Phil Mac retweeted a tweet that says"
    Is there a whiff of Anti Irish racism here?" About the fans feelings towards Lenny Continuing as manager.

Ive seen folk on here claiming thats why everyone's turning on Duffy.

Nothing to do with nationality, more to do with both not being up to the job

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Martin O’Neill has urged Celtic supporters to get behind Neil Lennon if they want to win a tenth successive title.

Lennon has come under ferocious pressure from his own support after falling 11 points behind Rangers.
    Celtic have two games in hand still to play to make up ground on the Ibrox side but the manner of performances this season have angered supporters.

Former boss O’Neil, though, has told them to give Lennon the time to get it right after dealing with Covid problems and serious injury issues.

And he has backed Lennon to close the gap on Rangers if he is given time to do so.

Can Celtic get it back? Absolutely they can get it back," he said. "Covid issues have been huge. Boli Bolingoli talking himself off for a jaunt to Spain put Celtic in bother because those games in hand aren’t a problem until your rivals are picking up a bit of momentum and then all of a sudden there is a bit of psychology at play.

“Right now they need to forget about all of that. Stop looking at what Rangers are doing and where Rangers are. You get the head down and you focus and you make sure everyone around you focused. This is total concentration now.

We have all heard the gossip about this player and that player wanting to go wherever.

Well, they are Celtic players and right now they are in a fight for the title.

"On paper they are the better squad, the experienced squad who have done it before but titles are not won on a bit of paper.

“They need to come together and starting to prove it out on the pitch. They were 2-0 down against Hibs before they started playing but to get it back suggests there is still a bit of heart and a bit of fight about a team that for so long has looked to have so much camaraderie about it.

They need to take the positive from that and simply get the head down and start winning games.

“The league is not over. Not by a long shot.”

If Neil Lennon has cut an isolated figure in the Celtic dug-out this season, his former mentor knows just how lonely a place it can be.

But Martin O’Neill has backed Lennon to engineer a way out of Celtic’s current predicament.

Lennon has the biggest challenge of his Celtic career on his hands as he looks to claw his way back into a title race that Rangers have stolen a march on.

O’Neill has been scathing of the criticism that Lennon has come in for and believes that his fellow countryman is due a bit more respect than what he has received in recent months.

Social media has been awash with fans calling for Lennon’s head with the pressure mounting in the wake of the Champions League exit to Ferencvaros and then the defeat to Rangers last month.

O’Neill though has questioned whether some fans have short memories

He said: “If I had walked back into Celtic Park for a second spell after a manager had just left and there was a treble Treble at stake, if I had delivered it and then stood on the cusp of delivering another one – and he is just one game away from that – I would be asking myself ‘just where is this pressure coming from?’ It is shocking

The pressure he is under right now is entirely unwarranted for the success that Celtic have had and the part he has played in that.

Anyone can head onto social media and stick up a poll. I can have 25 people all agree with me and the percentages would look great, they’d look fantastic but is some of the vitriol that has been put in his direction really reflective of the majority?

“One of the strangest sights I have seen was at Celtic Park on the opening day of the season when they raised the Championship flag to an empty stadium. It was quite something. If there were 60,000 fans in there I am fairly certain that there would be a fair bit of support put in the way of Neil Lennon. And rightly so.

Management can be a lonely place and it even can be a lonely place when you are winning games and on top of it all. In terms of pressure, it can be tough to come out of that but he has proved through lots of moments of adversity in his career that he has the character to withstand that.”

Celtic’s stop-start form has been brought into focus too because of the manner in which Rangers have started the season.

The Ibrox side are enjoying their best start to a campaign for 53 years as they have hit the ground running.

O’Neill, though, remains adamant that it is far too early to write off Celtic.

“This is the first time in years that there has been a proper threat from Rangers,” said O’Neill. “You can’t always be on top all of the time. Rangers were never going to stay in the doldrums forever – no matter what Celtic did or didn’t so.

These two clubs are monolithic. They have the weight of thousands of supporters behind them. At some point Rangers were always going to come out swinging and this is it. If this wasn’t a season that has so much at stake in terms of a tenth successive title I don’t think you would see this panic from the support. If this was a fourth title then I am sure they would be a bit more patience.

“Rangers have invested in the squad and they have backed their manager. In a way it is all good because this makes the league stronger. Now the challenge is for Celtic to show that they can cope with adversity. That they can cope with questions being asked of them and they can come out and show the same mentality that has made them the most successful side in the country for so long.”

Lennon retains the support of the Celtic board but the fragility of his position will be underlined this week with exposure to the Europa League.

The Parkhead side have taken just one point so far in their campaign and are up against Sparta Prague tomorrow night, the team who humbled them at Celtic Park earlier this month.

There is league cup duty at the weekend before a run of fixtures that base Celtic almost entirely at home in December – there is just one game on the road on Boxing Day to Hamilton.

And O’Neill believes that this season given the way results have panned out that the league has to take priority over the European campaign.

“I think now it is a case of getting the focus right onto the league,” he said. “You always want to compete and do well in Europe but the priority has to be on winning these domestic games and getting a sequence of results.

“You want to play well tomorrow night but the be all and end all at the minute is what happens in the league.

There is a considerable distance still to go on this. It is total concentration and togetherness but there is no way that this is impossible. The same week that Celtic lost to Rangers I watched the game against AC Milan and I actually thought they did not too badly against a team who are sitting at the top of Seria A right now.

“You stick a full stadium of people in there and that would have been a different game.

“Right now there has to be an appreciation that Neil has the strength of character and the belief to get Celtic going. He deserves the support of those around him to facilitate that.”

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  16. Sydneysider

Strange though that Duffy who joined the Club in September is subjected to quite venomous ridicule from Tic fans when he was certainly no worse than some of our resident long service lightweights eg Bitton who has played at Celtic for eight seasons, Forrest for about 16.

Or the other divas who really cant be arsed but still take their 750 thousand quid a year, while they focus on their ambition of playing for a more glamorous club in a much better league ( one more appropriate to their enormous talent...)

Lennon and Duffy seem to be getting all the flak but maybe they arent the real problem here, just easier targets.

17. celtic warrior

They get flak because they deserve it.

Lennon doesn't have the dressing room and it shows.

Duffy has been nothing but * for us. He's positioning is atrocious, he's ability with ball even worse, he's also barely an athlete as the * when caught out of position constantly will have attackers just jog by him. Because of all this about Duffy, time after time it led to guys like Ajer also being drawn out of position and Brown also playing deeper then even he normally does.

Away with any notion of anti Irish agenda bullshit or that they two been getting most of the flak, thumb got it, Eddie gets it, Elyounoussi gets it, Christie gets it, Bain and Barkas get it, Ajer gets it, Ajeti gets it, pretty much every player gets it.

18. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Bitton's probably had it as tight as anyone and very unfairly imo. Now there's an easy target if he has an off day. Duffy would do well to limit his social media.

Artorias likes this.
  19. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Pretty sure that was me, at the wind up

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The * are you talking about?

In fact scratch that. Who the * are you?