1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Board

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Prof, Oct 26, 2020.

Discuss The Board in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

Just said something similar in the Lennon thread.

What else could they have done up until this point? They appointed Lennon as manager and have backed him substantially in the last two transfer windows.

I mean, FFS, when in our lifetimes have we known a Celtic board to sanction £7m on a CB, £3m a piece on two left backs, £5m on a GK, best part of £4m on Turnbull, Elyounoussi on loan x2, £5m on Ajeti, £3m on Klimala, £3m on Soro and whoever else we have signed the last two windows.

The problem here, as it stands, is at Lennon's feet. He has shown that he is incapable of leading this team.

It will be the board's fault should Lennon continue to steer this bus off the cliff edge...

Sonic Reducer and CFC.1 like this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Totally agree and the backing he got from the board only further highlights how * poor he is.

Ajeti, barkas, Duffy, Turnbull, Ely, laxalt, all his signings. Plenty look good enough (Duffy aside) but he's failing to utilise some, failing to help others and just failing.

He can't blame this all on the players, he's brought in 6 arguably first team players and is still * it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

3. DonnyCelt

The board are scared shitless to sack him. They think doing so will be embarrassing to admit they got it wrong with appointing him.

Where actually if they were to sack him, it would probably give us fans a bit of confidence in them as it shows they are not afraid to act and say you know what we did get it wrong but we need to put it right.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  4. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Yes the board should act now and just accept that they got it wrong. They should then have a right good look at themselves in the mirror and ask if they are innocent in all of this and make it up to us by paying top dollar for a top rate manager. I can always dream

5. Foley1888

If they continue to overlook the shambolic performance this season so far it has to be seen as a neglect of their duty. The man in charge of steering our main asset (the team) is massively underperforming and needs to go.

This is massive given the current state of play in trying to make history on the park and starve off the impacts of COVID 19 off it.

For me if the board continue to ignore the fact we are massively below par, off the pitch the club will massively suffer the consequences come the end of the season around renewal time. Season ticket holders have provided a real show of support and faith by renewing in record numbers whilst knowing there was a chance they won’t be at a single game. It now looks like most if not all won’t see a single game in the stadium this season as a vaccine programme is more a hope for next season than this.

Come renewals for 20/21 there will still be uncertainty in what people are purchasing for next year and what they will get. Also by that point Covid will have had a significant financial impact on the club which will impact spend on the squad for the next few seasons.

Combine that with the current squad having a number of want away players (at least 4) guys out on loan we want to shift (at least 4), first team players on loan (three), players who are surplus such as Ralston and then our captain who will be ready for retirement. That gives you at least 13 players who are not likely to be here of which 8 are in the match day squad. When you look at what we have in reserve it doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence, a few talented centre mids and promising keepers but no one else really that you would pin your hopes on. We will likely need 8-10 players in over the next couple of windows.

Also if you lose Eddy, Ntcham, Christie and Ajer we are suddenly left with few players you would expect a decent fee for. Most of our permanent signings over the last two years are either unproven or have flopped, Julien, Elhamed and Frimpong being the exceptions but only the later really has sell on value.

Peter and Nick Hammond will have their work cut out on this side of things alongside whoever the coach/ manager is. They will need to extract maximum value from those looking to go all entering the last 18months of their deals. And on Hammonds end he will need to find some cracking players for good prices or bosmans to give us a competitive squad next year.

This is another thing that gives us a good reason to get a manager in capable of putting a vision and style of play in place over the remainder of the season, so that players who fit with what that manager is doing can be brought in.

Doing so now also allows a better chance of taking advantage of the bosman market, which I think gives us our best chance of turning our downward direction both on and off the field just now. It would then also allow what transfer funds we have to be targeted on 3 or 4 key players in key positions.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Leone Naka Fan and Wee Baldy like this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Embarrassment at losing the season would be worse. Also, it's not like Lennon was * all the time. Last season, he was good enough to win over Lazio. Things just went south somewhere, but the club can afford to positively value the first part of Lennon's second stint, while recognizing that we need a change.

7. DonnyCelt

I agree with you to an extent. But for as much as I've loved Lennon over the years and for what he's done for us, i was in the "he shouldn't have got the job" camp and I stick by that.

seanm likes this.
  8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I was happy with him until I realized our defense has turned rotten like last month's eggs, and he hasn't fixed it. Whatever camp someone is in, the board will be held responsible for not sacking Lennon if under him 10IAR fails to materialize. Cheapskating their way out of a manager who has experience and knowledge will cost them far more money in terms of online season tickets next season.

DonnyCelt and seanm like this.
  9. seanm

* useless tory * who could care less about fans or 10iar * them all.HH

dmccourt95 likes this.
  10. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    I'm hoping they are working behind the scenes to get someone else.

At least if I'm hoping that I ain't getting angry at the thought they are sitting do * all about it

11. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Apart from that * piece from Jackson today it's been very quiet. Usually there's some rumours flying about or guys who are in the know. So, has anyone heard anything to give us some sort of hope

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  12. CountyDownFaithful

At this point we are just being treated with utter contempt.

The performances on the park are abysmal. The managers lost the dressing room. The silence from the boardroom is deafening.

But they know that 50,000+ supporters will renew season tickets next year regardless of how bad it gets.

People saying the board don’t want to spend money to replace the manager and coaching team. But they are happy to let Lennon spend £3M on Soro, £3M on Turnbull and £5M on Barkas and leave them on the bench.

13. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Even if they get rid of Lenny and the other two...the board can suck ma peezil.

Peej likes this.
  14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Big Peter will be waiting tae Black Friday to secure a new manager. :41:

15. oh bhoy

right lawwell you fat meglamaniac * wheres the new manager

16. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If we continue with Lennon and lose the league Lawwell must go with him.

Twisty and Peej like this.
  17. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The board watched while we limped out of the Champions League Qualifiers at Celtic Park .. and did nothing
    The board watched our pathetic gutless performance against the Huns when we didn't even have a single shot in 90 mins ... and did nothing
    The board watched our pathetic performance as we got pumped at home to Sparta and looking like we are out of the EL .. and they did nothing

The board are notoriously slow in all areas.. from signings, negotiations and extending player deals. The only time they have moved quickly was appointing Lenny as temp manager when Rodgers left ( obvious choice and the cheap option ) and again when they appointed Lenny full time in the showers instead of interviewing people for the vacancy.

IF the board do decide to act it will be too little , too late and will no doubt be a cheap option because it seems to be in their DNA despite the odd flicker of business acumen like appointing Rodgers and buying Eddy, Julian on big money.

The way i see it is that Lenny has had 4 months with these players this season and we have shown nothing.. no form, no tempo, no passion , no consistency, no fight and no sign of things changing any time soon.

All we asked was maximum effort for the league this year.. just step up one more time and rebuild next season.. every player leaving on good terms and a place in history. Instead we get served up dross and made all the worse when the manager tries to tell us how good we have played.

The Board want to make sure that financially the 'company' are running a good business model and have a future going forward ... but i don't think that they have factored in the massive drop in attendance next season ( and for a good few to come ). They gamble with our CL prospects every season and they are now gambling with 10IAR with their slow response to this seasons failures

Wee Baldy and Peej like this.
  18. oh bhoy

wheres the new manager!

Peej likes this.
  19. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Probably still in his Da's nut sack because there is no way they have anybody in mind or even considering sacking him

20. john2061

If the board had sacked Lennon this week and we brought someone else in and didn't win the league then you could say at least we made the change and it didn't come off .
    But they haven't and now they should suffer the same fate as Lennon at the end of the season if we fail to win the ten .
    A blind man can see that's things are not right on and off the park and they fail to take action to rescue the ten .
    It maybe time to dust down those sack the board banners soon as these * don't deserve to be anywhere near Celtic .

Peej and Brian Dunphy like this.