1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Things could get worse...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 22, 2020.

Discuss Things could get worse... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CountyDownFaithful

That’s a pretty scary title thread. How can it possibly get worse than this? 11 points behind in the title race with a clueless manager and some players who look careless during a hugely historic season.

We are 24 hours on from yesterday’s massively disappointing result and Lennon’s still here. He should have been sacked after the 4-1 defeat to Sparta. However our Board aren’t a footballing board, they are predominantly a bunch of accountants who’s main KPI is profit and loss. It’s why they chose Lennon to replace Rodgers. A cheap manager who ultimately they could control. A man thankful to be in the position who wouldn’t rock the boat like Rodgers did.

It wasn’t long ago that we were smashing the Huns 4-0, 5-0, 5-1 at home, away and hampden. Yes we were light years ahead of them and so we should have been given where they came from. In the space of a couple of years they have now overtaken us. It’s been coming. Two seasons in a row they kept the pace with us until New Year and twice they crumbled. But this year a collapse looks hugely unlikely. They now have good squad depth and can make multiple changes each week which look seamless. They look a fit, well-drilled, organised team with the bit between their teeth. While we look like a bunch of strangers with no organisation and a weak mentality.

There’s still some hope that we can turn this season around but only if we bring in a recognised manager who can make an immediate impact. We need to make a change but whether it works is another question.

I’m starting to think about next season and that’s another massive worry. We don’t know who our manager is going to be, we have a board who are out of touch and a raft of players who don’t want to be here. Christie, Ajer, Edouard and Ntcham while Duffy and Elyounoussi will return to their parent clubs. Brown is over the hill and will need replaced. This squad is coming to the end of an era and we are going to have to quickly rebuild a team that’s capable of winning the league and challenging in Europe! Like your Barcelona’s and Man United’s, we are going to be a club in transition at this rate.

If things keep going the way they are and the board don’t take responsibility and action, then stopping 2 in a row will be a difficult task.

Sentinel and Pearse67* like this.
  2. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The league is far from over. It's potentially only 5 points we're behind!

Mince.Charming and johnfife1959 like this.
  3. CountyDownFaithful

That’s true but the way it’s working out we are going to be 2 games behind for ages.

If we win all of our games between now and the next derby and they win all of their games we will be going to Ibrox 14 points behind. Can’t see us winning that game either.

It’s only possible if we change the management team.

4. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think Jullien returning will be massive. Hopefully we sign a keeper before that match as well. Plenty of football to play.

Sadly, I don't see the huns slipping up unless it's on a plastic pitch though.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’m not a natural pessimist, but I’ve never been comfortable with the notion that things will get better simply because they’ve been better previously. It’s much like the idea that the huns will fall apart, simply because it’s happened before. It might happen, but a previous occurrence is nothing to suggest something is likely to happen again.

On the balance of what I’ve seen so far, we’re lucky to be 5 points behind (and indeed shouldn’t be counting on our games in hand as wins). Sevco are simply at least a level ahead of us as things stand.

I have no real expectations for the season, which is depressing as * given its November. Not because the lease is insurmountable, but because we’ve demonstrated no evidence of a willingness to change things at a managerial level, or any improvement on the pitch.

6. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Spot on. The potential saving of the season is removing lennon as soon as possible which sadly isn't happening

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    It is if we stick with our current manager. Which looks likely.

8. leeso-ardoyne

COM MAY, GLASGOW CELTIC WILL BE CHAMPIONS!! We've been here before s d the tide has turned in a matter of weeks. The league table will look a whole lot different in Jan!

Metrobhoy likes this.
  9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I think we are all feeling so down because of the mega importance of this season for all Celtic fans. As an older fan I reckon we have been through a lot worse than this and came through the other end better. Hopefully yesterday was a catalyst for change and we take the necessary steps to get our act together and do the 10.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  10. wulliebad

And on our current season form we will draw or lose one of those games. The zombies will beat this current set up in jan.....so maybe 14 behind.We are reaching tipping point where we can no longer catch them by beating them every game we have left against them this season, and will be needing other teams to beat them.....what a wonderful season.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They’ll win the league by around 20 points.

Having 3 games left against them isn’t something to cling onto with Lennon as manager, it’s something to worry about.

12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Agreed. In the grand scheme of things, yep, we have been through worse. That's definite.

I'm trying to coax the optimist in me out to try and remind myself of this but the weight of how much we are being let down by the manager and players right now is just too much :54:

13. Pearse67*

Said the same to my da earlier, due to gross negligence and complete mismanagement the power could swing to the other side, which is unbelievable and unforgivable to be honest!

Its the board, as stated all they care about is profit and squeezing as much of it from the club as possible, that board needs completely weeded out.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  14. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Totally agree m8. I haven't felt as scunnered for a long time and, the worrying thing is, I don't think our board realise (or give a *) exactly how we all feel:(

15. The Dude

Are supporters going to renew their season tickets if we fail to win the league this season, and attendances at Celtic Park are still restricted because of the pandemic?

We could find ourselves in real financial trouble if the board continues to act negligently.

16. wulliebad

The game in Jan will decide the league,It will be the difference between 2 behind or 8 behind assuming games in hand are won. we might drop points to killi or untd away before then, but even then i don't see the board acting. Jan game will be when he gets sacked unless we really collapse before then.

17. wulliebad

I doubt many will stump us cash again for this * show and even more so if the pandemic is not over.

The Dude likes this.
  18. wulliebad

I think the board know very well how we feel and what is going on,its why they spunked 15 million last window.The danger is they think there is still time.

19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Things could get worse, but also, they could get better. It's up to the board to act now, because at one point, it will be too late.

20. john2061

Back to my favourite subject the board and why do we have true blue Tory *'s on it and the origin our club was founded a slap in the face to our founders .
    These * are not Celtic supporters only business men who are out to make a profit and have more in common with Boris Johnston and Douglas red card man Ross .
    The rate we have went down in the last couple of years is frightening and we can see that when we have played the zombies the last few games and is unacceptable .
    If Lennon is not gone by Tuesday then the Celtic support need to do something either with a few banners outside the walkway or something the support can organise as this board are doing * all to stop this farce from carrying on and are they even caring about 10 in a row .