1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dmac

Clarke wouldn't come he doesn't fancy the constant scrutiny of the job

2. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Doesn’t need to be a permanent choice at the moment.
    I wouldn’t mind letting Kennedy have a go as caretaker or even Strachan.

In the background we been identify and approach candidates. Would be good to find a good tactician who wants to make his name in football, the type of thing we attempted with Deila (even though people didn’t like him much).

3. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    we arent even a step up for a manager like that

4. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    both kennedy and strachen would just be as bad as what he have

The Dude likes this.
  5. Celticbhoy97

Well as Lenny said a culture change is required

6. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

He'll have a part in the decision, surely ? Apparently Rafa is on 12 million a year in China. I know he wouldn't necessarily demand or expect that, but he's no coming here for a fraction of what he could get elsewhere.
    Then the fact Scotland isn't exactly desirable and a selling point.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye, it would be a step down for him. Quite a big one, really.

8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Marco SIlva:

Formerly at Everton, Watford, Hull, Olympiacos, Sporting and Estoril Praia.
    His time in England goes as much as a lot of players and managers time goes - poorly unless you are truly world class, they turn fast on them and they don't get much time. But that said he did fairly well in his main season at Everton in 18/19 where he finished 8th, one win away from a Europa spot and where you would expect Everton to finish. Brought in some good signings, some still there and he can attract a name.
    As with most mid table EPL clubs, the results are always chaotic in viewing, but the vast majority of his defeats where to higher ranked teams (not all, but most) not without taking some skelps himself beating Man Utyd 4-0 and Chelsea 2-0.
    His second season was a shakey start for sure, released on 5th December 2019 (not too far off where we are now) and the club went on to secure 49points and 12th place, not great, but not far off what they got the season before (54pts) - I add this in to show the timing is still reasonable to save our season. In a weird way.

At Olympiacos (before England) he was there for one full season, won the league with only 2 defeats and 1 draw, winning the league by 30pts with an impressive run of domestic form. Got to the league cup final, beat by Athens.

In Europe he came 3rd to Bayern and Arsenal, on joint 9pts with Arsenal(other team was Zagreb). He dropped down to Europa where a somewhat evenly matched Anderletch put them out.

I like this season as I reckon it should represent a fair comparison to what we would expect should he come here, big club, smaller league, comfortable domestic form, respectable Europe form.

season 14-15 at Sporting he came 3rd, behind Porto and Benfica, so not to be looked down upon. He was clear of 4th place Brage by 19pts, and was only 9 between the top 3.
    Draws were his enemy, as he only had 2 defeats that league campaign, one to Porto away.
    In one of the cups, he won beating Braga in the final on pens after putting Porto out early in the tournament.
    The alternative cup is a bit weird, He came second in a group of 5 where only the top team goes on to the knockout - he missed that by 1 point.
    In Champions League that season he came 3rd to Chelsea and Schalke with a respectful 7 points, Wolfsburg put them out in EL 32.
    Again, a fair season I think, specially with the bigger two teams of Porto and Benfica in that league.

For me, you take away the England side of his time, he has shown he can most certainly manage at OUR level. It also seems like he is somewhat keen on a good clear out of squads with many seasons more players leaving (vastly more) than those coming in.

Laurent Blanc:

Admittedly the name and the few clubs he has been at may make this one a bit of a non starter for being out our range, but I think we should investigate a little more.

Bordeaux season 07-8 is where he starts, came 2nd in Ligue1 behind a then good Lyon. 75pts, only 4 off Lyon and 13 clear of Marseille.
    Second season, 08-09 he won the league with 80pts over Mareille (77) and Lyon (71).
    Third season, not so good, came 6th. But he then moved on to the France job where he stayed till summer 2012 and left after the Euros, where they was put out by eventual winners Spain who, lets be honest no one was beating back then. He did romp their qualifying for that tournament though, so on the whole not a disaster of a time, but not a successfull one.

PSG days, he spent 3 full seasons there, in short: He wont all 3 seasons, won 8 out of 9 dometic cups and got to the QF of the CL three times on the bounce, we do not argue with these results, and he proved before the PSG job he was capable of winning that league with Bordeaux, so we dont dismiss it either down to just the money.

Will be on mega bucks, although he has been out of work for 4 seasons now, would he want to come back in to the mix? Worth asking the question, he will demand respect and positive responses to this group of players.

Leonardo Jardim:

Name carries some weight, his more recent Monaco spells maybe less so, although he was there for 4 seasons previous to his last spell.

Brage season 11-12 is where I will pick up on his tenure though, came a respectful 3rd in that season, putting Sporting in to 4th place.
    Stayed the one season before moving on to Olympiacos in 12-13 , weirdly left in January 2013 and not sure why, he hadn't lost a league game and the side went on to win the league as well. In fact their only league defeat came after he left.
    He had also got a respectful 3rd place with 9pts behind Arsenal and Schalke.

He then returns to Portugal in May 2013 with Sporting for one season, where he came 2nd splitting Benfica and Porto. Not bad going.
    Summer 2014 he moves on to Monaco for a 4 year spell.
    This is now peak PSG years, he comes 3rd behind Lyon with a CL group winning side against Bayern, Zenit, Benfica. Gets to the QF to be put out by Juve by 1 goal.
    season 15-16 again 3rd behind Lyon, but on joint points.
    Poor European form sees them come 3rd in EL to Spurs and Anderletch.
    Season 16-17 They win the league with 95pts over PSG 87 and they reach the Semi Final of the QF. Again Juventus put them out.
    17-18 his last season, he gets 2nd place to PSG and crashes out of the CL completely.

He then left the clubin October 2018 after a disaster of a start, the next manager wasnt any better, Henry time, he then returned to see out the season, ended poorly overall. Started the next season 19-20 Slow start, built up a bit of a run, but left in the December and the season fell apart. Not sure what went on here, but there is good signs at his lesser clubs (ones on a par with us) that he can do a job. The name carries weight for sure, which will help with (hopefully) immediate impact.
    Could just be a short term option, but perhaps pressure isn't his strong suit? Should be contacted though.

Jurgen Klinsmann:

For me, this is all about what he done in the States and his name. Would only be a short term appointment.

Eddie Howe:

Not much needs said, spent most his time at Bournemouth and now finds himself out of a job, a brief spell at Burnley proved too far from home, big issues there. But the better part of 11 years at one club over two spells where he made Bournemouth a decent side and got them to the EPL, he can organise a side.

Mark van Bommel:

Not a vast amount of experience, but a name for sure and one that has been brought up in the Dutch way of doing football, we could do with that for sure with our younger players, fitness and a bit of respect for the name. His playing career speaks for tiself.
    PSV is where he has spent his management days, firstly with the u19 in 2017-2018 before getting the big job at PSV.
    Season 18-19 he came 2nd by 3 pts to Ajax, a fair league campaign saw them lose only 3 games to Feyenoord, Ajax and AZ. All 3 was narrow defeats, so he had them organised for sure and hard to beat. CL group, don't blame any manager for this one when you are PSV and up against Barca, Spurs and Inter in season 2018-19
    19-20 he started well, very well. But a poor 2 months from mid October to mid Dec saw him get beat 4 times in the league, enough to see him out the door.
    Came up short in the qualifiers to Basel and then 3rd in EL to Lask and Sporting.

Guy still has some learning to do, but for a long term appointment, I like this one. His pressence, name, respect and connections will do well here to get reactions from the players quickly. Long term I think he would look to get the club back on track to a more modern style of football and modern way of coaching and training players.

Other names to look in to, Oscar Garcia, Paulo Sousa, Roberto Di Matteo,, Gustavo Poyet.

For me it is between Marco Silva and Mark van Bommel for actual positive and forward going appointments.
    Blanc is probably out our budget for sure, but a short term option maybe if he is thinking to get back in to the game - its been a few seasons though, lord knows if he is done with football?
    Klinsmann is purely for the name and organisation of the squad and the backroom, very short term indeed.
    Howe and Jardim need to be well thought out, but both have qualities and abilities that initially would suit us and get reactions from the players.

Purely based on a handful of names who are actually available and out of a job, the only fee is their wage. It's something the board should be looking at.

Raoul Duke likes this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

At times when we’ve pushed the boat out; Robbie Keane, Roy Keane, Rodgers even likely Duffy - Desmond takes the reigns.

We can’t and won’t pay 12 million a year, that’s the stumbling block. I think we’d be a tempter for him - his comments from last year definitely weren’t dismissive of us put it that way.

10. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

I'd * love it if he came, even if only a temp job to win the league. Would never moan about the club again .... for a while anyway.
    I remember how much he loved the fans and adulation he got at newcastle and was important to him staying there so long. He'd be a hero here and worshipped even more.

If and when the board admit it's too far gone this season, I can see JK getting it till end of season or Strachan at a push.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Which is why I’ve personally been against him being sacked up until yesterday. The alternatives are almost to a man, shockingly poor.

12. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Rafa benitez to give up a 12m per year job to manage us to the end if the season whilst taking an 80% pay cut is a ludicrous suggestion. Some of us are really losing their grip on reality

The_Bhoy and Free the Adblock like this.
  13. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

I'm at the stage now I'll take near enough anybody. I can't see how JK could be worse, we're regressing at an alarming rate.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

That’s not the suggestion though, is it?

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Kennedy is part of the problem, not the solution.

TonyTim and D'Ecosse like this.
  16. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I suppose it is, his name gets mentioned often enough

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'd take Slaven Bilic.

packybhoy likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Eh?

I’m suggesting he should be looked at mid to long term not on a 6 month contract and I’m saying his wages are the stumbling block.

I’m clearly not as dismissive of our club as some fans have allowed themselves to become through apathy with the current manager.

We are a huge club and can, in the correct circumstances, attract top quality. On occasion.

Keane, Kennedy, Strachan and the likes all utterly * sideways or backwards suggestions.

Peej likes this.
  19. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

He cannot be worse than Lennon though, surely not.

20. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The problem we have now is we are genuinely a poisoned chalice, what manager wants to be the person that lost ten in a row? Especially for manager's like eddie howe or alegri (have seen him mentioned a few times) where winning the league does next to nothing for their stock.

This is why this should have been nipped in the bud months ago. And imo he shouldn't have even been given the job in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020